Smart Top mods4cars SL R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I the only person that thinks Smart Top is a lot of money for what it does? I think on my R230 it only adds remote lowering and raising of the windows and roof along with operating the roof when in motion. Does the device add any other functionality?
If you look on the smart top website it gives you all the functions that it does, including one touch movement of the seats etc. I'll be selling my old module later today, just need to work out a price.

Well, just tested it and works a treat at 25mph. I've had 3 cars before this one with convertible roofs including a metal one and all have been able to open and close up to 30mph. Just makes using it much easier.
Also it is great to be able to open the roof when on the drive and it is really warm as well as closing it from a distance should it rain. Obviously when out and about making sure nothing is near the car first....
I have also switched the open/close button to one touch operation so you don't have to keep holding it and reversed the way it operates, so push down to open and pull up to close (or is it the other way!!!) As I said it is expensive for what it does but so far I'm happy with it.

I think the 25 mph is for the fabric roof which is lighter than the metal one on the 231 :(
From my user manual......
info.png

If the traffic conditions mean that you have to drive off while opening/closing the roof, the procedure which was started while stationary can be continued at speeds of up to approximately 40 km/h.

...........and is also listed as a feature in the brochure for the facelift....

From my user manual......
info.png

If the traffic conditions mean that you have to drive off while opening/closing the roof, the procedure which was started while stationary can be continued at speeds of up to approximately 40 km/h.

...........and is also listed as a feature in the brochure for the facelift....

I read that too, however it just didn't work with my car. Un less I was completely stationary the roof wouldn't budge. When I initiate a close/open whilst stationary and moved off the roof stopped what it was doing in mid flight...until I stopped again.

Am I the only person that thinks Smart Top is a lot of money for what it does? I think on my R230 it only adds remote lowering and raising of the windows and roof along with operating the roof when in motion. Does the device add any other functionality?

Having had one in my previous car (r172 SLK350), my favourite features are:

1) Remote opening & closing.
2) One touch of the console switch to open / close while in the car.

I always felt a little embarrassed (in a public spot) sitting in the car while waiting for the roof to open / close (worried people will think I'm showing off) - with remote - get out the car, 3 clicks on the key while walking away, closes roof and locks and vice versa when getting in.

My SLK had to be stationary for the full roof process and after getting caught in a thunderstorm in Brisbane (Australia) I got a ST (to open/close the roof while moving) and never got caught in another thunderstorm, but soon found that the above 2 were my favourite features.

I read that too, however it just didn't work with my car. Un less I was completely stationary the roof wouldn't budge. When I initiate a close/open whilst stationary and moved off the roof stopped what it was doing in mid flight...until I stopped again.

Yes - you have to be stopped to start the process and hold the switch until the process is over. It does work.

I think the 25 mph is for the fabric roof which is lighter than the metal one on the 231 :(
The fabric roof on the E500 will open / close up to 25mph.

wonder if the extra stress on the roof mechanism - when opening or closing the metal roof - shortens its working life and durability

The fabric roof on the E500 will open / close up to 25mph.
So will the hard top with the module fitted.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

wonder if the extra stress on the roof mechanism - when opening or closing the metal roof - shortens its working life and durability
No as it is now standard on the SL from the factory so MB would have tested its durability.

However it is important to be on a flat surface when operating to avoid undue stresses...on the joints and arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

! had my SLK for nearly 3 years and it was my daily driver in sunny Australia. Roof opened and closed 2x just about every day without any issues. Probably more actuations ( >2000) than a car in the UK will have in a lifetime - and guys have been using STs with the "open while moving" feature for years without problems, and now that MB have said it is ok.....

However I do agree that a smooth road makes sense.

SmartTop allows opening closing at higher moving speeds than MB and also without having to completely stop to initiate .. thus greater stress possible than that permitted by MB

SLK roof is significantly smaller than SL roof so may not be a valid comparison?

SmartTop allows opening closing at higher moving speeds than MB and also without having to completely stop to initiate .. thus greater stress possible than that permitted by MB

SLK roof is significantly smaller than SL roof so may not be a valid comparison?
SmartTop warns against setting speed too high, the SL also has larger stronger motor/pump than the SLK to cope (twice the price) but like all things common sense should prevail.

I thought the SmartTop module for the SL allowed opening/closing at speeds of up to 60km/40mph ?

... I'll be selling my old module later today, just need to work out a price.

Which model are you selling ? I’m interested in buying one for the R230 if that’s the one you have ?

............therefore, one would expect that the mechanism would be significantly bigger in the SL.....making the comparison reasonable. My point is that Vario roofs are designed to do several 1000s of cycles (California is probably one of the biggest markets for the SL) and I'd be surprised if the average convertible in the Uk ever does a 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom