Smart - Winter Edition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm wondering if you could adopt a similar idea with the smart combined with an emergency inflate button should the Smart's short wheelbase prove to be too much for the ice.

Inspector Gadget had a car like that ... but he also had a helicopter hat.

talk to ian at big performance - he's got more smart modifying knowledge than you can shake a large stick at.....last i heard he was building a double axle pickup 4-2 :)

better still - do it in a crossblade, then i'd be really impressed ;)

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times]Don't even consider driving the Dalton unless you have 4-wheel [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times]drive, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times] quoted on the second link[/FONT] if you don't follow that advice then it's a bit like this couple not taking locals advice

Help, we're from Down Under | Herald Sun

:D

Click on the links in my signature ;) You'll see that I've done a few things that "the locals don't advise"...

Anyhow, a very helpful member here sent me this link:
Smart Winter Expedition, Part 3: Whitehorse to Fort St. John - Autos.ca

So something's similar has been done before... reading through that it looks like they only added winter tyres and winter windscreen wash... and the only real issue they had was the windscreen cracking.

So I'm thinking of bringing one of those transparent films that goes over the windscreen to protect it... (and to stop it shattering on us)

Suddenly it looks a lot easier!

M.

So I'm thinking of bringing one of those transparent films that goes over the windscreen to protect it... (and to stop it shattering on us)
Windscreens are already laminated with protective films and don't shatter.

Oh, and a winch!

Shude: Didn't realise that! Would adding another film help them stop cracking (something softer that absorbs the impact) or would that be pointless?

Need to start working on a budget and a co-pilot... then I'll give MB Alaska a call and see if they're interested in the advertising opportunity...

There are some key phrases in that story...

"If you were by yourself, and you went off the road, chances are you wouldn’t be found for days."

"We did have three incidents that required the towing services of our support vehicles. Drifting snow was the culprit; it’s hard to see, and once you drive in deeper snow, the smart is pulled sharply off the road with little chance of regaining control. It’s unlikely that the cars could have freed themselves without a tow."

"The convoy also included three Mercedes support vehicles, one of which carried some extra wheels, tires, windshields, washer fluid and other parts."

Inspector Gadget had a car like that ... but he also had a helicopter hat.

If you've not seen them in use before in anger - here's what I mean. I similar concept on a car could save a life if driving on ice.

857959735_4oBd6-L.jpg

857959986_vbTaE-L.jpg

If you do do it in a Smart, buy one with less than 70k as the engines don't last past then.

Jacking the suspension up will be next to impossible as the subframe design prevents this. The ESP system cant be turned off which is a real pain in the snow.

Right, so now the search is on for a copilot... my gf said something on the lines of "I'm not that mad" and my closest friend feels it's too expensive (budgetting £10k per person)

Anyone interested?
M.

Right, so now the search is on for a copilot... my gf said something on the lines of "I'm not that mad" and my closest friend feels it's too expensive (budgetting £10k per person)

Anyone interested?
M.

Hmmm can just see SWMBO going along with that............ Yes dear , going on holiday...........£10k...............£10K.............yes that's right dear £10k...........oh and you're not invited...........*@*@*@*@*@............... What's that dear?..........D.I.V.O.R.C.E........ Right then dear so you're saying you don't wish me to participate then??:D:D:D

I think it'll cost me a lot more than £10K so I guess I'll have to count myself out.:thumb: Thanks for the offer though :D:D:D

I'm not sure £10k is a suitable budget.

Surely you want this to be a challenge right? You also want an adventure... and £10k is too expensive for your mate..

You should do the journey in an old banger bought locally for a maximum of $500 or something and then it would be a proper challenge.

Back to basics adventure travel.

I'm not sure £10k is a suitable budget.

Surely you want this to be a challenge right? You also want an adventure... and £10k is too expensive for your mate..

You should do the journey in an old banger bought locally for a maximum of $500 or something and then it would be a proper challenge.

Back to basics adventure travel.

I would like to come out alive though...

My breakdown is (VERY rough)
£5-6k - car
£500 - winter tyres + spare tyres
£1k - airplane tickets
£1k - hotels and transfers before/after
£1-2k - clothing, gear & food
----
the rest as contingency for something I know I've forgotten... it's really a ball park figure, but it's a good start...

Hopefully, the cars will be in suitable condition to resell at the end, and thus re-gain that money (or get Smart Alaska do lease the cars...)

M.

Or you could spend around £2.5k

£500 - car
£0- winter tyres + spare tyres (buy a banger with winter tyres already fitted)
£1k - airplane tickets (possibly half that figure in reality)
£500 - hotels and transfers before/after (no need for 5*)
£500 - clothing, gear & food (use existing clothing, only essential gear and eat conservatively)

PAH.... too easy, id do it on a bicycle...

seriously, you are nuts... I like a challenge, but a smart car... come on..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom