Smartnav day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I had Smartnav, Safe speed, and Trackstar fitted today and it is utterly brilliant!!! :bannana: :bannana: Just wanted to tell someone!

R2D2 said:
I had Smartnav, Safe speed, and Trackstar fitted today and it is utterly brilliant!!! :bannana: :bannana: Just wanted to tell someone!

whats the difference bwteeen smartnav and normal satnav?

You dont input anything you talk to a real operator who finds whatever it is you want then downloads it to your system than then talks you to your destination. But if on the way there are traffic jams it automatically reroutes you. It also warns you of all fixed speed cameras, and tracks your cars location. It also also gets help to your exact location if you crash or breakdown. It is amazing!

Personally i prefer to see where i am being routed.

Its the old navigator in me coming out - i like to see a chart and to work out where i am etc..., sure no problem following the routing but occasionally like to do my own thing but still track my progress.

I like the idea of smartnav - but will probably go for the Garmin 2720 with TMC add on that gives you a feed from Trafficmaster for life of hold ups.

You can have a screen as well if you want it!

New gadget are a mans best friend!

On a side note, if one of those operators is a bit peeved with their employers one day and sends a someone in totally the wrong direction I wonder how smart that would be.

Also i've driven down motorways where they still show 'slow speed' signs or lower speed limit signs when congestion or an accident has happened EVEN long after the accident or congestion has gone, so would it be a possibility these operators unknowingly redirect someone unnecessarily?

The other side of that is that my old traffic master has taken me off motorways before the signs have said slow, accident ahead and thereby saved me hours.

My early impressions are what a clever idea.

how much does it cost to install or use?

I like the idea but would rarely use and therefore not keen no a big upfront charge.

I have a W140 Coupe - with the Blaupunkt Pasadena head unit and CD changer in the boot.

The whole SatNav/Audio replacement is something i have been looking at for a few weeks. In terms of the removeable units i do like the Garmin 2720, but would nee to mod it to get the sound to come through the car speakers as opposed to the cigarette lighter power source(obv the power source would be changed as well) and Garmin to a bike adaptor which fits this bill. Use Garmin products over here and trust them.

The second option is to go for something like the Pioneer AVIX- XIR with the flip up screen. Downside is the lack of an ability to update the speed cameras and also the fact that the screen when up will obstruct the Climate Control.

I have just done an extended test drive, asking it to get me to difficult places and intentionally taking wrong turns and it is staggering. Having used OEM sat navs before and slow portable ones this one is amazing. The instructions very detailed down to getting into the right lanes at tricky bits.

I also an drive through a fixed speed camera zone without knowing anymore.

The visible bit!

48933344911252005113712AM.jpg

C240Sport97 said:
how much does it cost to install or use?

I like the idea but would rarely use and therefore not keen no a big upfront charge.

From Mercedes about £600 but you can get much better offers than that if you shop around.

You can either pay as you go or by DD. Navigation only is £10pm then you add your options. BUT you never have to buy updated map discs which updated quarterly.

As a user experience its great. You press your button and straight away a voice says "hello, Mr ****, where do want to go today" :)

R2D2 said:
Navigation only is £10pm then you add your options. BUT you never have to buy updated map discs which updated quarterly.

That is a lot of money all in though! (£120+ per year) And that only gives you a certain amount of routes per day if i'm not mistaken?? If you want more you have to pay :eek:

I prefer to copy nav discs for free, or download! :D

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the system as I have said before, but it's just not for me as it has its flawes.

Baghdad or Bust said:
The second option is to go for something like the Pioneer AVIX- XIR with the flip up screen. Downside is the lack of an ability to update the speed cameras and also the fact that the screen when up will obstruct the Climate Control.

Avic-X1/R + Road Angel Compact = Perfect!! :D

Costs for the Pioneer unit are high (1k) but well worth it in the long run, DVD, MP3, CD, rear screen output, reverse camera input, vehicle dynamics, gyro + GPS (never gets lost even in bad areas or tunnels as most units do) and a great HU all in one. Screen has a button just to fold down (not fully close) to access climate control, after a few seconds it flips back up! or it will operate with the screen retracted.

Well works for me and I have tried TOO MANY systems to mention with no where near the features/reliability of the Pioneer!!

R2D2 said:
... As a user experience its great. You press your button and straight away a voice says "hello, Mr ****, where do want to go today" :)
My colleague has exactly the same system on his Mitsubishi L200 Animal. I call it his "phone a friend" option :D I thought it was very clever too. The system came as standard on his vehicle and comes bundled with a fixed number of 'free trys', 50 I think. Since he is an occasional user he'll probably move onto the pay as you go option.

It's great to know that there is back-up there if required :cool: and for my colleague another stand alone satnav product would be a complete waste of money.

Having said that, I still love me TomTom and for me it is the ideal solution.

S.

I'm an occasional user as well you get 360 goes a year for 10 per month plus your free goes. Someweeks I'd use it lots other weeks hardly at all but it is VERY reassuring. I know what you mean about "phone a friend " Steve, you can ask things like where is the nearest Shell garage for optimax and where is the nearest Macdonalds.

BTW do you like the install, I think it looks very neat! :cool:

Last edited:
R2D2 said:
BTW do you like the install, I think it looks very neat! :cool:
The install is virtually invisible as the only thing you see is a tiny button. My colleague's is on the steering column. You'd hardly know it was there unless you're looking for it. :rock:

S.

Greg,

I notice that you have the closing wing mirror switch fitted. Have you had the mirrors fitted?

blicky_1 said:
Avic-X1/R + Road Angel Compact = Perfect!! :D

Costs for the Pioneer unit are high (1k) but well worth it in the long run, DVD, MP3, CD, rear screen output, reverse camera input, vehicle dynamics, gyro + GPS (never gets lost even in bad areas or tunnels as most units do) and a great HU all in one. Screen has a button just to fold down (not fully close) to access climate control, after a few seconds it flips back up! or it will operate with the screen retracted.

Well works for me and I have tried TOO MANY systems to mention with no where near the features/reliability of the Pioneer!!

Must say when you look at something like the Garmin 2720 plus the TMC add on - you are getting close to £800 minimum. With the Pioneer at just a bit more £1k and the fact you can throw on an Ipod i think my mind is made up - suppose i best sell one of my guns before i come home to pay for it. The septics do love their .45's and i have a rather nice Glock 30 with Black Talons that a guy has been after - so that will have to go ;)

C43AMG said:
Greg,

I notice that you have the closing wing mirror switch fitted. Have you had the mirrors fitted?

sadly not yet, but hopefully soon as I have the loom now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom