smell Of Burning Rubber?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironsheik

Car
W204 C200CDI SPORT.
every now and again after a long drive, I park up, get out and can smell what can only be described as burning rubber usually from around the rear of the car.
I checked the tyres (and even sniffed them:dk:) they are not hot and don't smell..
whats causing this?

every now and again after a long drive, I park up, get out and can smell what can only be described as burning rubber usually from around the rear of the car.
I checked the tyres (and even sniffed them:dk:) they are not hot and don't smell..
whats causing this?

Assuming your car is a Diesel, it will be the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) re-generation process.

Search the site there's quite a bit about it...

Assuming your car is a Diesel, it will be the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) re-generation process.

Search the site there's quite a bit about it...

Thanks, yes it is a Diesel.

i'll do a search on DPF now and educate myself on the topic...

I get that smell too but I run a petrol car so no DPF! I suspect the smell on mine is coming from the parking brake, which has got very stiff of late.

mine does it if I've been giving it some stick - in my case it's the rubber hangers for the exhaust getting a bit warm :)

Interesting... I did notice some steam coming off my backbox the other day, after driving on a wet road. Must have a look and see what state the hangers are in.

I get that smell too but I run a petrol car so no DPF! I suspect the smell on mine is coming from the parking brake, which has got very stiff of late.

Are the parking brakes not leading/trailing expanding drums on the wheel station?

Yeah, I think they are and I doubt if there is any rubber in them. On thinking about it, I get the burning smell even after a short journey, where the backbox would not have had time to heat up.

Sorry OP for hijacking this thread!
For a diesel, a DPF regen is the mostly likely cause. Another reason to run a petrol car...

I get that rubber smell too but only when I'm on my own and the wife's at home...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom