Smells like peardrops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
No, not a "Weird Al" song!!

'06 A180CDi. Last couple of weeks, a smell not dissimilar to peardops has been rather prevalent in the cabin. Not had chance to look under the bonnet for any obvious signs. Car runs fine, everything works, no warning lights.

Any ideas? :dk:

TIA, David.

Do children use the car?
If so, it could be a dropped sweet that has ripened up in the recent hot weather.

Peardrops usually means acetone.....anyone spilt some nail varnish?

Pear drops smell = ketones e.g. acetone.

Could be the hot weather has driven out some solvents? Or has the car recently been serviced, new brakes, tyres?

Crockers.. SNAP!! :)

Carnauba wax smells like Peardrops.

Doesn't ****nic smell like peardrops? Have you upset your partner recently? :devil:

Hi,

If it smells like 'pear drops' it's more likely amyl acetate rather than acetone.

Like acetone it can be used to remove stains (a la dry cleaning agents) but is less likely to dissolve 'stained' material.

All these materials are volatile so unless you have been 'stain' removing....it must be a pear drop.

Desperate I know...but I'm going to get 500 posts somehow :bannana: :bannana:

Hi,

If it smells like 'pear drops' it's more likely amyl acetate rather than acetone.

Like acetone it can be used to remove stains (a la dry cleaning agents) but is less likely to dissolve 'stained' material.

All these materials are volatile so unless you have been 'stain' removing....it must be a pear drop.

A chance for one more then.

How d'ya come to know what amyl acetate smells like?

Anything like amyl nitrate ??:eek:

Peardrops and amyl nitrate are quite different :rolleyes:.

Thanks to all replies but AFAIK, nothing has been spilt in the car, no-one has eaten a pear dop in the car and I know there has been no work of any description done on the car for a few months as no work has been required.

Hi,

Tell me Dieter, why do you want to get to 500 posts? :devil:

Hi Steve,

It's a 'round' number...but I'm quite happy to make 501 as well :D.

At school (many decades ago on a planet far far away :eek:) we attempted to make our own pear drops by melting glucose (to drive out water) and adding amyl acetate as glucose was cooling..to make 'pear drops'....not good :eek: :eek:...sticky pear drop smelling mess.

Are you using a premium diesel like Shell Optimax, or are you using Millers.....the additives used have a very distinctive smell....usually can only get into cabin if spilt inside though....

Are you using a premium diesel like Shell Optimax, or are you using Millers.....the additives used have a very distinctive smell....usually can only get into cabin if spilt inside though....

Ah, I use Miller's...... Now then, you could be onto something here... :thumb:

Ah, I use Miller's...... Now then, you could be onto something here... :thumb:

My puppy got hold of and bit into my bottle of Millers which was in a pocket in the boot.....car now stinks...it is a very distinctive smell....by the way, it also makes a good laxative....she obviously ingested some of it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom