Smoke detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Don't ask me why, but after recently buying some new smoke/fire alarms, I thought it a good opportunity to remind everyone else.

If you haven't done recently, check or replace the batteries, and if you haven't got them yet, buy some!!

For a few minutes or just a few quid if you need them, they're pretty important.

Will

Although not as widely used or installed, Carbon Monoxide detectors are a good idea as well. A silent and odourless killer. Specially in the winter months when most exterior ventilation is shut off.
Install one wherever you have a gas appliance.

Last edited:
Uncle Bill's top tip - write the year/month on the new battery with a black marker pen, so you can see it as soon as you open the smoke detector.

Replace every 12 months, stick the batteries you take out in a drawer as they will be fine for non-critical applications (e.g. digital scales, digital thermometer, multi-meter, etc.).

Or placing on the tongue of unsuspecting family members (yes, I still manage it with some - "hey, test this!")

Ah but fresh batteries are better for that :D

Hmm ... I have 5 year old and 7 year old step-sons ... :devil:

Need to find some new ones for my place too actually, its rented and they're attached to the mains........ however chopping vegetables seems to be enough to set them off and deafen everyone in the street for 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Or placing on the tongue of unsuspecting family members (yes, I still manage it with some - "hey, test this!")

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/28/the_odd_body_death_by_battery/
He adds: "It (death by testing 9v battery on tongue) cannot be entirely excluded however. If a person is very ill, for example, has heart problems, or has a heart pacemaker that could be disrupted, and so on, they could possibly die from testing the battery in this way. But normally it wouldn't happen."

...and there I was thinking it was just an urban legend :p

Although not as widely used or installed, Carbon Monoxide detectors are a good idea as well. A silent and odourless killer. Specially in the winter months when most exterior ventilation is shut off.
Install one wherever you have a gas appliance.

I thought that I had said this, but alas, I only thought that I did.:):)

How many of you have fitted your smoke detectors in the hall/satirs area? This is totally the wrong place to fit them, if there is smoke in the hall and stairs area, your means of escape is compromised. Smoke detectors should, imo, be mains only not battery, and should only be installed in the bedrooms, lounge and dining room and a heat detector in the kitchen, as a smoke detector will be going off all the time:D The detector heads should also be placed at least 500mm from any adjacent surface, so if you put them on the ceiling, they should be 500mm from the wall or if you put them on the wall, 500mm from the ceiling. This is because at the junction of walls and ceilings, smoke takes a little longer to get into the corner so makes the smoke alarm slow in reaction. This information is as per building control for houses in multiple occupation, i.e. flats and bedsits. I see no difference in not applying the same level of system in your own home.

All new caravans have been fitted with smoke detectors for some time ... it is totally impossible in such a confined space to site them where normal cooking won't set them off! I've installed a switch on mine, which also serves to isolate the battery when it's not in use (most of the year). But not ideal, as you can obviously forget to switch it back on again (although where it's sited makes this less likely as it's clearly visible).

I thought that I had said this, but alas, I only thought that I did.:):)

Possibly the mind playing tricks again Malcome! It Happens to me too!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom