Smoke From Fuel Tank???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
Not sure if this is the right section so please move if it's needed.

On Thursday I filled the car up with my normal BP Ultimate and as it was below the 1/4 mark as you do you start looking around as it was a very hot day :D Anyway as i turn back to see how we was going i noticed a mist or very faint smoke coming from the tank you could only see it as the inside of the filler cap is black just wondered what it could of been??? are the tanks in petrol station cooled or are car fuel tanks cooled???

Paul

Might be fuel vapour...

Not sure if this is the right section so please move if it's needed.

On Thursday I filled the car up with my normal BP Ultimate and as it was below the 1/4 mark as you do you start looking around as it was a very hot day :D Anyway as i turn back to see how we was going i noticed a mist or very faint smoke coming from the tank you could only see it as the inside of the filler cap is black just wondered what it could of been??? are the tanks in petrol station cooled or are car fuel tanks cooled???

Paul

If you saw smoke you would have to run fast or probably be dead..........

Your more likely seeing vapour as already mentioned from the fuel its self in the tank and from the filler hose.

There's legislation around somewhere soon requiring petrol stations having to capture fuel vapour discharge caused by re-fueling.

Sounds like fun.....

Last edited:
There's legislation around somewhere soon requiring petrol stations having to capture fuel vapour discharge caused by re-fueling.

Sounds like fun.....

They just use hoods over the pump nozzle, as in USA.

Diesel vapour is no issue, but unleaded petrol is a killer, due to benzine.

I have seen the same usually more so when the tank is low.

Well that's something less to worry about just haven't seen it before, may not of help as it was the hottest day of the year !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom