Smoke from oil seperator. Normal?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay1983

Car
mercedes ml270 cdi
As title suggests is it normal for smoke to come from the oil seperator? It's the 1st time I've run the car with the engine covers off so never noticed it before.

Sounds like normal blow by gases coming from the crankcase. The Oil separator should be directing it to the EGR pipe and not the atmoshere.

edwinwalke said:
Sounds like normal blow by gases coming from the crankcase. The Oil separator should be directing it to the EGR pipe and not the atmoshere.

So does this mean it is not functioning properly? I'm getting a lot of black smoke and when I took the intake pipe off the turbo there was a bit of oil

Could mean the piston rings are worn(?)

Happened to me on my W124, engine oil found its way into the air filter box through the breather tube. The portion of the air filter positioned directly facing the breather tube was dripping wet with engine oil.

I think you can use a syringe of ceramic repair gel in the engine oil...it repairs worn piston rings. If it's marginal wear and tear like in my case.
Anyway that did the trick...air filter box has been dry since

"ceramic repair gel" not heard of it before, anyone else got any experience of this?

Certech Gel

I found the tube - it's called Certech Gel
Not cheap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom