Smoke on start up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshadders

Car
c250 cgi estate
I have a C250 CGI and seem to get a fair bit of smoke when on choke from cold, enough to see drifting past! Exhaust pipe pretty black too. Had it from 3000 miles and now done 24000. Merc seem to think ok but I wonder? Mpg poor too. Anyone had similar? It's a 2010 model.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'm no expert but I have seen petrol SLK 200 and 250's smoke like billio if left standing for a while.

No idea why but they seem to clear after a run...?

I'm no expert either but its normally valve guide seals leaking oil into the cylinder while sat, the engine then burns it when the engine starts.

Short journeys? kills the valve stem oil seals, try accelerating in a lower gear then let it decelerate and then hit the throttle and watch it smoke then, a sure sign of brittle valve stem seals.

Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Mcshadders, I own similar car and I have the same problem, blue gray smoke when I start up the car from cold, did you find out what was the problem? did you manage to fix it?

Thanks

Mcshadders, I own similar car and I have the same problem, blue gray smoke when I start up the car from cold, did you find out what was the problem? did you manage to fix

Could be as simple as a dirty air filter,this will cause black smoke on a diesel.

Other manufacturers have experienced problems with lower octane fuel in direct injection engines. I haven't heard of this with the 250 CGI engines but I guess its a possibility. :dk: New DI Engines -- Excessive Carbon Buildup ?? - MBWorld.org Forums

Or------ you may have a problem with the swirl flaps on the inlet manifold or similar-- there's a lot of stuff going on in the inlet manifold of these cars .

Last edited:
Maybe I should give more details about my car, It's W204 CGI , only 50000 km on it , all services were done by the dealer and on time. I've never used less than Octane 95. The blue smoke only when the car is parked overnight and disappears in less than a minute. Typical symptom for worn valve stem seals, but the workshop did some basic inspection and said the seals are fine!!

So in your opinion, what other problems may cause this smoke?

Smoke Pic : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0NtxrESNj-QOUNRQU1STUR6OGM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Sorry read as cdi,as you say valve stem oil seals leaking,would not have thought anything else.

Is this a recent only occurance, if not it's probably due to the direct injection not being able to mix the fuel mixture properly before combustion takes place.

i.e. It smokes when on enriched mixture strength. Probably nothing to bother about.

If my C280 V6 Smoked like that i'd be cra--ing myself.

Hi guys did this problem ever go away? I bought a second hand C250 CGI Elegance at the start of August and I have this problem - smokes heavily on start, then in under a minute everything is fine until the car is parked overnight again. Car is still under warranty for a month, so the dealer to their credit has changed the valve seals and it's STILL happening!! Does anyone think this could be a much worse problem like a hairline crack in the block or a catalytic converter?? Interested to hear any ideas?

Wanted to add, car has FSH (ex-MB Leasing Services fleet) with 2 services under Mercedes and 1 from the dealer. Only done 41k miles.

Are you absolutely sure it's smoke and not just condensation built up in the exhaust system overnight and being blown out?

Are you absolutely sure it's smoke and not just condensation built up in the exhaust system overnight and being blown out?

Maybe the problem from turbo Seal leaking....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom