Smoke through vents C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nitro

Car
C63 AMG
my wife who uses our C63 as a daily said she could smell a burning smell when pulling up after a drive.
I thought it was the brakes but yesterday on a 100mile trip when we pulled up at our destination smoke came out of the heater vents and from under the passenger side of the bonnet!

Apart from crapping myself I managed to grab the fire extinguisher from the boot and look under the bonnet without fully lifting it in case there was a fire.

Anyway the smoke had gone. On further inspection with bonnet fully open we could see that a spot of oil had dripped on the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the engine. There was residual stains. Upon revving the engine a spot and literally a spot of oil was seen to drip on the manifold. Amazing how much smoke and smell comes from one spot of oil.

My Wife is contacting the supplying dealer today for advice and cause of action.

Couldn't see exactly where spotting was from.

Has anybody experienced this before on the M156?

I know this was common on the slk55 for the gaskets to go on what I believe to be the valve covers (not sure) but ultimately they deep. Wouldn't be surprised to see same on m156

I have nothing whatsoever to add but bugger me I bet that was brown trouser time and no mistake ! Hope it all goes well !

I know this was common on the slk55 for the gaskets to go on what I believe to be the valve covers (not sure) but ultimately they deep. Wouldn't be surprised to see same on m156

I just had this sorted on my M113K engines as the valve cover only held in place with sealant and a screw which seems bizarre so prone to leaking.

Loads of oil coming out and exhaust smoke

Last edited:
Leak on passenger side rocker cover. (Minute)

Dealer is going to replace both seals and new rocker covers in case warped.
FOC

Having to order in so should be sorted early next week.

Picked up on Saturday morning.

Turns out there aren't rocker cover gaskets just sealant.

Rocker covers were true and straight so not replaced.

All seems good now, time will tell!

I've put the fire extinguisher back in the boot as keeping it in the cabin made my wife nervous!

Last edited:
I've put the fire extinguisher back in the boot as keeping it in the cabin made my wife nervous!

Better to be nervous than dead through having a fire extinguisher where you can't get to it. My life hammer and extinguisher are mounted to transmission tunnel. Had to use them a few times but not on my own car in crashes involving others. In reach is where you need them.

You guys got the parts numbers for the rocker covers and sealant that should be used - need to get mine done i think !

You guys got the parts numbers for the rocker covers and sealant that should be used - need to get mine done i think !

This thread is a few years old now, you’re better off making a new thread.

Had mine done a couple of months ago 2012 model as the n/s cover had a crack in and oil was dripping onto headers at the rear.

Cover has got a seal and come with it installed and new bolts and sleeves. And is a stock item at MB Colindale as quite a common problem.

Part Number - M1560161905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom