Smoked Display Number Plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Following a 16 plate W205 on the motorway today, with front and rear number plates having a dark smoke (for want of a better phrase) display.

You could just, and I mean just, read the letters from directly behind.

I wondered who would be that stupid as you'd be given a tug every time the bronze saw you :dk:.

Weird :crazy:.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...KHWQGDBwQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=r12xQuav_rgHCM:

Last edited:
you'd be given a tug every time the bronze saw you :dk:.

If there are any about :dk:

With the dwindling police resources now-a-days there are more drivers taking chances with complete window tinting , reg plates that dont conform , people on phones etc.

The chances of them being pulled for "trivialities" these days are minimal , around here anyway, so they just take the risk.

Kenny

I thought those with black and silver plates would be tugged but I understand this is a trivial matter and as long as the plate was legible, they are unlikely to be tugged these days. :dk:

I thought those with black and silver plates would be tugged but I understand this is a trivial matter and as long as the plate was legible, they are unlikely to be tugged these days. :dk:

Neither were easily legible - in daylight too - that's why I'm amazed anyone would fit them.

At night I'd expect you'd not see a thing.

I cycle past a Skoda dealership on the way to work, all the new cars come like this its just a plastic numberplate covering which is meant to be pealed off :dk:

Seem like asking for trouble, though unlike some, I think it looks pretty good. After all, numberplates aren't exactly a styling enhancement, so anything that makes them look less obvious is ok in my book..

The REAL solution is that 3M Light Control film that has embedded layers of "Venitian Blind" type slats so you (or the Speed cameras) can only see the numbers from EXACTLY straight-on, no other angle. doesn't look particularly dark and wouldn't attract Uncle William too much..

It's a new craze, something different to pressed plates.

It's the 'IN' thing bruv.

Personally I think they look sh ite

If the plates are not in compliance with the law they will result in an MOT fail.

If the plates are not in compliance with the law they will result in an MOT fail.

Yes but it's the easiest to get around...

take car to MOT with legit plates
pass MOT
go home
remove a few screw and change legit plates for illegal plates
replace screws
drive around with new plates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom