Smoked Headlamps !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rixx

What Do You Guys Think Of Smoked Headlamps?

Am Considering Smoking Mines On My W208?

Any Advice On How To Do Them ?

rixx said:
What Do You Guys Think Of Smoked Headlamps?

Am Considering Smoking Mines On My W208?

Any Advice On How To Do Them ?
:confused: ;) Is this a wind up?

John

whats the wind up mate?

ive got black centres on my wheels, and to go with the theme, i was thinking of smoking a dark tint on my headlamps !

:crazy: I have to agree, its crazy.

Basically you will reduce the effectiveness of your lights due to the tint.

I've got smoked indicators/black centres on my wheels, light tints on glass but i wouldn't consider the headlamps.

it will add to an aggresive look.

anyone out there ever attempted it ?

as for the power output, thinking of installing a xenon kit.

rixx said:
it will add to an aggresive look.

anyone out there ever attempted it ?

as for the power output, thinking of installing a xenon kit.

Its a piece of cake to do, its a 5 min job with a spray tint can. I've tinted the clear lenses for the indicators myself, but i applied a very fine layer as i wanted to get rid of the sharpness of the clear lights.

PS the thread should have been posted in the correct section, either Bodywork or Electronics sections. Saves the moderators time moving them afterwards.

whats the best tint spray to use? and where can i purchase from?

did you just mask around your lights?

because ive been advised to open the lamp, and tint from inside.

Bought one off ebay, can't remember the make. I tinted mine from the outside as the front and side indicators are sealed.

rixx said:
whats the wind up mate?

ive got black centres on my wheels, and to go with the theme, i was thinking of smoking a dark tint on my headlamps !
Thanks,
KLP has a very nice looking car, but surely headlights are a safety issue, designed to make things as safe as possible for both yourself and other road users.

I've heard of folks wanted to increase the performance of their headlights, but any tinting, even the finest tint will surely decrease the brightness of the beam?

Looks are great, but safety is even greater.

Just my grumpy Christmas spirit I'm afraid.

Seasonal greetings,
Regards,
John

Early AMGs for W208/W210 had the horrible black/smoked headlamp lenses from factory as standard. :crazy:

Never tinted headlamps before, so I'm not sure whether this will or will not be an issue, but given the heat generated from headlamp bulbs and the amount of use they get this time of year, then might there be a risk of any tint peeling? Just a thought.

Another idea - how about getting some headlamp lens protectors and tinting those instead of the lens itself? Then you can fit/remove the tinted effect as required?

Swiss Toni said:
I think Darwin is at work...
:D :D Ouch
I'm sure there is a pms type abbreviation somewhere, but it hurts so much when I laugh :D :D

Regards
John

KLP 92 said:
PS the thread should have been posted in the correct section, either Bodywork or Electronics sections. Saves the moderators time moving them afterwards.
The lunatic asylum would be better.

hawk20 said:
The lunatic asylum would be better.

Hey guys - think you are being a little unfair here. Smoked headlamps may not be to your taste (it sure 'aint to mine!) - but viva le difference! He asked a straight forward question so maybe no need for what is coming across as ridicule? :crazy:

Remember, it's Christmas!!

Steve
:)

Gollom said:
Hey guys - think you are being a little unfair here. Smoked headlamps may not be to your taste (it sure 'aint to mine!) - but viva le difference! He asked a straight forward question so maybe no need for what is coming across as ridicule? :crazy:

Remember, it's Christmas!!

Steve
:)
Agreed,
Hopefully we do not get too offensive, but surely the obscuring of headlights will not be encouraged.

For the smoking to be noticed, it is senseless to suggest a 5 or 10% tint. That will not be noticeable, but already we are already discussing obscuring the lights by that factor.

What percentage are we discussing, 20%, 30%?

Spraying any type of tint on the exterior will need a protection from stone chippings etc it will the heat from the light source effect the paint?

How quick will an owner complain if they get stopped by the Police?

I love looking at modified cars, especially when the modification is done well, but anything that interferes with safety is to me a no, no.

Any modification must also always comply with the numerous regulations, Construction and Use, lighting etc.

A forum is an excellent venue to obtain opinions but at the end of the day the responsibility must always rest with the owner.

We must surely express our opinions and it saddens me that sometimes (perhaps not in this case) folks object to negative replies when the question is perhaps controversial.

John

By applying a light tint to my indicators and reverse lights, i've noticed they're slighlty less brighter, nothing too major but enough for me not to do the headlamps.

I think you have to draw a line somewhere, especially when modding can potenetially impair safety.

I would consider myself a serious modder, but somethings aren't worth doing.

But its your car, if you want to put brighter bulbs to offset this then in theory it could be ok.

If you do tint them then do it from the inside if you take them off as its more durable. Also just apply one light layer, its really easy to get them looking patchy. I would be very hesistant to apply more than 1-2 layers.

KLP 92 said:
But its your car, if you want to put brighter bulbs to offset this then in theory it could be ok.

If you do tint them then do it from the inside if you take them off as its more durable. Also just apply one light layer, its really easy to get them looking patchy. I would be very hesistant to apply more than 1-2 layers.
As usual your offering some great advice.

Is there a legal limit as to the brightness of headlights and of course do the original lights already comply?

Converting to the lights which I can never spell... xenon or xeon will perhaps look quite odd when illiminated, plus of course these lights have an individul look in their own right, tinting the sealed lens might spoli that look.

John

glojo said:
Is there a legal limit as to the brightness of headlights and of course do the original lights already comply?
They do but are just about as useful as candle lamps fitted to a horse drawn carriage.

I suggest rixx tints his lamps with high temperature paint made for exhausts and stoves. It won't peel due to the heat and will totally obscure the light so he can't even think about driving at night.

At least the world will be a safer place.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom