smokey E300 diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slamspider

Car
E300 D 1995
hello to all merc lovers,
i have recently bought a E300 diesel 1995 estate (190k) and thanks to this forum have already managed to solve a few niggles it had. but she is still rather smokey. it is a blue/grey haze at idle which disappears under load but becomes more noticeable when throttling back to cruise. whilst this does keep muppets from sitting on my bumper i'd rather sort it out and keep the eco warriors from giving me a hard time. the smoke has a strong smell and i reckon its diesel related not oil.
i have had the injectors out, tested and new nozzles fitted. i've checked engine breather which is clean when running and no pressure builds up on the oil dipstick pipe either.she starts very well and has very good oil pressure (over 3 bar at idle).no bubbles in header tank on revving.
however there are some bubbles in the fuel lines when revving. could this be causing the smoke?
or could it be something more costly like worn injection pump?
or head gasket weeping oil into a cylinder?
the inlet manifold is fairly sooty and black but i have disconnected the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve to cure the surging problem she was suffering from. could the EGR system still be the culprit?
incidently i have replace all filters except the fuel prefilter (will do that one shortly) and have bathed the grunting lump in fully synthetic engine oil.
she isn't the smoothest or quietest at idle especially when cold when there is more smoke chugging out. but for a big heavy girl she still has some get up and go!
would be very grateful for any advice,
regards
sam

i have no service history hence changing all fluids and filters now. i should probably take her on a good run just to settle everything in and then see where we're at.

Do a leakdown test and a compression test. Then you'll know if the problem is caused by loss of compression due to poor valve sealing

IMHO the Multivalve engines lose compression over time. There are 24 valves to seal so lots of opportunities to lose compression

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom