Smokin 300td

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SEnoj

Car
Mercedes E300 td Avantgarde
Well I thought it was the MAF playing up, but after changing it for a used one that proved to be faulty,(once fitted would not tick over and kept cutting out) and having changed all filters it seemed to be running better. My old MAF runs the car fine until it warms up then starts chugging and smoking. Disconnect MAF and all fine. Now noticed I am getting a smell of diesel and on inspection the pump appears damp. Also there is a bolt missing from the inlet manifold.
My limited knowledge of injection engines, tells me that if the fuel system is not sealed properly then it throws out the sensors as they try to compensate, would this be the case here? Small leak on inlet side of fuel system causing the MAF to over compensate. I will be removing the inlet manifold soon and checking pipes are connected tight, so while I have the manifold off what would be the suggest check or replacement of seals/pipes etc?

Under the intake manifold.

I think your problem sounds more like injectors or turbo seals. What colour is the smoke and when does it appear, accelerating, idling?

Under the intake manifold.

I think your problem sounds more like injectors or turbo seals. What colour is the smoke and when does it appear, accelerating, idling?

its white but if I disconnect the MAF there is no smoke or lumpy idling

Pull the rubber vacuum tube off the EGR valve modulator, near the ABS block, then try the MAF on/off test.

Pull the rubber vacuum tube off the EGR valve modulator, near the ABS block, then try the MAF on/off test.

Ok. just plugged MAF back in, taken vacuum tube of modulator and it ran without smoking. I then reconnected tube and all ran ok for the short journey back. Confused now as all seems fine. Or does this point towards a faulty EGR?

Can you clean the egr valve?

I can't see how an EGR leak can cause white smoke.

White smoke is either condensation or water in the cylinders from HG failure.

Went out for a run before with all items connected. started to chug again when at a stop. Then disconnected the pipe from the EGR modulator and it stopped it's chuggin and ran ok. So it doesn't have this fault when I disconnect the MAF but EGR connected, or visa versa. Will now see if I can clean the EGR first to see if that helps and report back1

Just perform the EGR delete and never bother again.

Are you sure it's not black smoke?

Yeah deff white smoke,but nothing in oil to indicate HG issue. I have also found that the cat has been knocked out, would this have issues with anything?

Just ordered the parts for the EGR delete. Having read your thread on the subject and many others who have the same issues, I have decided to get my wire cutters and solder out. For less than £4 for the parts its a cheap enough way to find out if it solves the problem?

White smoke is probably just condensation in the exhaust.

Have done the EGR delete and all running :thumb: Well nearly well. I have changed the two plastic fuel lines from the Filter to the Shut Off Valve and I cannot get them to seal:dk: Pulling my hair out now. Fuel Lines are MB. Any ideas?

A big thank you to Dieselman for all his knowledge with the EGR delete and some other items. Great knowledge and an asset to this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom