Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I smoke - would reduce frequency of going to pub

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I don't smoke - no difference

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • I don't smoke - would increase frequency of going to pub

Votes: 60 51.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i dont smoke, but if they ban it in pubs it wont make me go more...but it will prevent me from smelling like a tobbogonists (Not that again!!) when i get back.

Not going to comment on the other aspects of the ban, other than to clarify that I would support a total ban on health grounds (staff and punters), but my Irish friends tell me that many people are taking up smoking (at least on an occasional basis) so that they can join in when their friends go outside the pub under the canopies/heaters to smoke. :confused:

Sorry.....

Alfie said:
I find the idea that 'Passive smoking harms has not been proved' to be one of either utter stupidity or naievety.

We all know that smoking kills. Fact. So why do some people think that passive smoking does not? If anything it could be worse for ones health as the smoke is in part unfiltered. I accept that the exhaled smoke has been filtered (Still stinks though)

Lets look at it another way. Can anyone show me any evidence where smoking of any form has actually increased a persons life span? I doubt it.

One other unpleasant side effect is (and I only ever did this once myself) is kissing a girl who smokes. Its like sticking your tongue into ash tray!

.............but I've never been quite enclined to stick my tongue in an ashtray. And they call us 'smokers' crazy!!!??? :devil:

glojo said:
I would love it if you lived next door to some really noisey neighbours and they adopted the same attitude. Even an opera singer that liked to practice his singing at night.

I feel sad that folks simply do not give a hoot about the regard of their fellow man\person ;)

Are you so desperate that you MUST have a cigarette and be blowed to everyone elses concerns?

If your car broke down in the pouring rain and the recovery service turned up and stated the car had to be removed to a garage, and you had to travel in the cab of the recovery vehicle. Would you refuse the service if you were not allowed to smoke?

If the driver said your cloths STANK of stale smoke and it was HIS choice that you did not get into his nice clean cab and said, """"I LIKE THE FACT THAT I'M LIVING MY LIFE THE WAY I WANT TO!""" Would you still be so smug?

I respect totally your right to do whatever you want, providing your personal habits do NOT infringe on others. You and you alone actually make the smoke, so it is wrong to suggest others should cater for you and steer clear of your obnoxious smoke cloud :) (I accept you are not breaking the law)

I am also against smokers being allowed smoke breaks, that is clearly discriminating against non smokers, why can't they go into a private room and have a game of cards whenever the smoking brigade decide they want a quick puff?

If smokers want a smoke break then that time should be paid for out of their pay packets (what a miserable old grump)

Incidentally I am not the misery that you might think, at last summers GTG we had a number of smokers and I was only to pleased to supply ash trays and would only ask that no smoking took place in our house.

John

And I suppose you would refuse to get in if he smoked??? :devil:

scotth_uk said:
I don't smoke, but am very tolerant of smokers - most people I know smoke, and I'll happily stand outside with them when they do.

I'd love the ability to go to a non smoking pub, as it's the primary reason I don't go. Clothes stink when I get home, and I usually have a headache (even if I don't drink).

That's why they invented washing machines, soap & asprin don't you know!? :devil:

notts110 said:
have you asked an optician :) maybe he has the answer, as for the cruise holidays etc,i'm in a very fortunate position to have those too however i do not have to make financial sacrifices to enable this, i too have a mercedes arent i the lucky one :bannana:

Nice One !!! :bannana:

Steg said:
Maybe it is the blinkers that prevent smokers’ eyes from stinging.

As an ex-smoker the inability to see the financial and health benefits has also puzzled me. I am fairly tolerant of smokers in pubs, but to me the issue is not about banning smokers from pubs. The issue should be how can we remove the smoke and stale air to ensure a pleasant environment for all the customers. I am sure that a lot of pubs or restaurants, obviously not all, could greatly improve the air quality by putting more thought into effective ventilation / air conditioning systems.

Not a truer word said - Hey, but that would cost money! :eek:

andy_k said:
as a slight but very interesting aside ......since smoking was banned on commercial flights the aircraft companies realised that because they weren't having to shift as much smelly air they didn't need to change the air so frequently. Rough figures that whilst smoking was allowed the air was completely replaced every three minutes with fresh air. Now, we have a different situation, in order to save money the "refresh time" is now longer (up to 7 minutes was one figure i saw) but more importantly nearly 65% of the air is now recycled giving a chance for bacteria etc to breed and so to spread diseases. This measure saves the aircraft companies millions of pounds every year in saved fuel.

As far as I know flight crew are still allowed to smoke because it was ruled that nicotine withdrawal could seriously impair a pilot's judgement and ability. so, there is a very good chance that despite theire being no smoking on your flight you could in fact be breathing in smokier and a lot more unhealthy air than you were before the ban came into force.

Air rage incidents have also risen as smokers deprived of their nicotine take the edge of the craving with alcohol and have on occassions become violent. so bizarrely for the non smokers amongst us it's now less healthy to get on a plane.

Is this what's in store for us in "private clubs" where apparently smoking will still be allowed? I can just imagine the stories in the Newspapers when violence breaks out at the local British Legion on a Sunday lunchtime :D

Andy

In actual fact they banned smoking on aircraft because they knew this fact and wanted to save money, the health issues were just a plus!

glojo If we wanted to fetch this government to a grinding halt said:
Nice one!!

andy_k said:
Best of luck and I think you've made a wise decision (albeit sitting on the fence slightly by leaving one room for smokers :)).

From the opinions expressed here and for what I've seen in pubs around here after a very short period of time the Vaults bar will be the quietest room in the building.

good luck

Andy

Thank goodness for that!, at least I will enjoy my cigarette in peace & quiet, without having to hear you wingeing lot! :rock:

Yeah.....

lotusmark2 said:
6 in a row Mango...that must be a record!

I was just catching-up, have been busy in the fields planting this years tobacco crop. :rock:

i dont smoke..... i do enjoy a drink now and again

i personally would choose to go to a non-smoking pub out of my own choice, and always go to non-smoking section etc when eating and when i can.

however when i am out with friends and end up in a pub that is smokey, i hate the fact that my clothes then stink for the rest of the day....

so i'm all in favour of the total ban. My wife is an ex-smoker so i can see the smoker's perspective, but i think that in most places smoking is becoming more anti-social than ever now. My mother in law smokes, and its strange seeing her go outside into the rain/cold standing on her own for 5 mins just to have a smoke, then come in complaining she is cold :crazy:

saying that just the other day two snotty faced 8 to 10 year olds asked me to buy them fags outside the local shop.... sad world but i bet their parents also smoke (and probably provide them with the said items). My reply to their question; "NO". No doubt they mutted some sort of abuse under their breath.

zooman said:
I just pray to God I am making the right move.

I think you are and it wouldn't purpise me if you find yourself making your establishment totally non-smoking within 6 to 12 months. My former local in Herts (when I lived down there) went partially non-smoking a number of years ago and gradually increased it's non-smoking area to keep pace with demand. It is not totally non-smoking.

Quote:- "so i'm all in favour of the total ban. My wife is an ex-smoker so i can see the smoker's perspective, but i think that in most places smoking is becoming more anti-social than ever now. My mother in law smokes, and its strange seeing her go outside into the rain/cold standing on her own for 5 mins just to have a smoke, then come in complaining she is cold "

Both my dad and dad in law smoke and we always sent them outside for a fag, but since our son arrived this has changed. They now have to go outside and smoke but then wait for 15 minutes till the stink has lifted too.....payback time for all those tellings off when I was a kid. This is still working 15 months on. And even when they asked to go in the garage I say no as it is a fire hazard with all the combustables etc.

scottishc280 said:
Both my dad and dad in law smoke and we always sent them outside for a fag, but since our son arrived this has changed. They now have to go outside and smoke but then wait for 15 minutes till the stink has lifted too.....payback time for all those tellings off when I was a kid. This is still working 15 months on. And even when they asked to go in the garage I say no as it is a fire hazard with all the combustables etc.
Nice one, really like that :bannana: :rock:

lotusmark2 said:
6 in a row Mango...that must be a record!

more to the point, 6 in a row that were all a total waste of space on the servers - that really is a record :D

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

scottishc280 said:

i find it strange that they see having a fag so damn important to do this..... i know its an addition but i dont understand why people cant just not have a fag for a few hours if u are visiting people etc.

it annoys me (or used to annoy me when it used to happen) when we used to go out for a meal and the mother in law wanted to sit and eat in the smoking section.... she seemed to think it was ok to just say "can we eat in the bar?" to the barman.... not thinking that other members of the party may not wish to.... she was soon put in her place :)

MangoMan said:
.............but I've never been quite enclined to stick my tongue in an ashtray. And they call us 'smokers' crazy!!!??? :devil:
nearly choked on me fag with laughter then........lol :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom