Smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Evening all,

There was a smoking thread on here a while ago but I can't find it.

I posted on it saying I would give up after our summer holiday and since we are back from our summer holiday it is time to give up!!

My wife and I have both been using Champix since last Friday so this Friday is 'give up day'.

I will be letting you know how we get on.

I gave up 9 years ago.

Used to smoke 200 a week and had smoked for 20 years. I was using the patches, I was about to got to work, I had one cig left and one patch, had my shower and had the cig when I was getting changed, I had the intention of putting on the patch. I got to the car and as I set off I realised I'd not put on the patch but I couldn't be arséd going back inside to put it on and I've not a ciggy since.

If you want to give up you will. I tried giving up numerous times over the years but my heart was never 100% in it. I always enjoyed the first cig of the day and one after a meal or when having a drink.

Just keep reminding yourself of the health benefits of being a non-smoker.

If I can do it, anyone can.

I watched my dad smoke himself into an early grave - he easily smoked upwards of 60 a day - and tried to give up numerous times after warnings from our doctor , who was also our next door neighbour . He ended up in hospital twice with heart attacks , and died after his third one - at 63 .

Having watched his health deteriorate over the years , I was put off smoking for life - other than once taking one whilst very drunk at a party in my teens - then realising I didn't smoke !

Good luck. I am sure that, if you are determined, you will succeed. I smoked 20 a day until my early 20's but then was very fortunate. I caught flu and just could not face another cigarette. The desire to smoke just did not return so I gave up without the need for any will power. However, holding my dad's hand as he died painfully from a smoking related disease would have made me quit there and then. It's just not worth the risk!

Yes , I was with my dad when he passed , just me and the doctor , who had tried CPR then pronounced him dead .

I can still remember the howling and wailing from my mother and sisters who couldn't be in the room .

And I can still remember going and speaking tearfully to him in the funeral parlour , guilt ridden that I didn't realise what was happening and get to him sooner .

I used to smoke quite a lot but I've been off them now for 9 or 10 years. One thing I remember being very helpful: when you get a very severe craving and are nearly in pain with desperation for a fag - just remind yourself that these carvings actually only last a few seconds and you can ride them out. Just keep doing that.

You have to admire the stubbornness of those who continue smoking.

If you want to give up you will. I tried giving up numerous times over the years but my heart was never 100% in it.

^^ That in a nutshell is it. You really have to want to give up. Doing it with reservations or doubts will almost guarantee failure.

Cold turkey worked for me, but the patches, gum, prescription tablets, will all help if you are determined enough.
Good luck to the OP:thumb:

Cold turkey worked for me
100%, me too.
Build up to quitting in stages, like quit smoking during day time or morning time etc

Get yourself an app for your phone, I had/have one which tell you statistics along the way, but also tells you how many cigarettes you've avoided, and how much you've saved, you can also add in financial incentive targets.
I quit about 15 months ago, have "saved" approx 3K in the process.
That 3K has supplied fuel for my C63 :D

Pontoneer said:
I watched my dad smoke himself into an early grave - he easily smoked upwards of 60 a day - and tried to give up numerous times after warnings from our doctor , who was also our next door neighbour . He ended up in hospital twice with heart attacks , and died after his third one - at 63 . Having watched his health deteriorate over the years , I was put off smoking for life - other than once taking one whilst very drunk at a party in my teens - then realising I didn't smoke !
I wish one of my brothers had heeded the same warning. My dad was a fairly heavy smoker (mainly pipes) and died too early as a result. My brother continued to smoke at about the same rate because he felt fit and healthy, with sudden and devastating consequences. Well done to all those who give up; your relatives appreciate it even more than you.

I smoked until about 25 years ago. Not a heavy smoker, perhaps 10 a day. I decided I wanted to give up when my first child was born. Went cold turkey and haven't touched one since.
I agree with the above posts - you have to want to do it

I gave up almost 11 years ago. Cold turkey.

Used to travel a lot so I always had access to loads of cheap fags. When I looked in the wardrobe, I had over 11,000 fags in stock. That was a very sobering moment thinking I would have smoked that lot.

When I had my heart attack, every chap in the ward had been or was still, a smoker.
Not just sad, middle aged old chubbys either. One super-fit looking guy in his late 30s / early 40s played football, gym three times a week, not an ounce of fat. To say he was shocked was an understatement.

Drs told me if I was still smoking my attack would have been much more serious and my recovery jeopardised.

I wish you every success.

I went to see my GP earlier this week about my excessive smoking and masturbation.

She was pleased when I told her I had reduced my 40 a day habit to around 20, but annoyed that I said I would rather wait until New Year before tackling the smoking problem.

Good luck Darrel, champix worked for me.

Just a quick update.

Tomorrow will be 14 days of non smoking for both of us. We have found it quite easy using the Champix although I am only thing one of them a day instead of two because they give me the ****s in the morning.

We are £325 better off!!

Good work Darrell.

It gets easier over time, I don't even think about it at all now.

If my experience is anything to go by I wouldn't expect to feel tons better for quitting, might be prepared to become fatter though!

lewyboy said:
Good work Darrell. It gets easier over time, I don't even think about it at all now. If my experience is anything to go by I wouldn't expect to feel tons better for quitting, might be prepared to become fatter though!

The only difference I have notice is my breathing feels clearer, like I don't want to do a big greenie every 10 minutes.

I think about it a few times a day but it's quite easy to think about something else.

Good luck to you bud, I hope you make it. Without getting high and mighty it is a daft habit, smelly, costly and bad for you.

Think of all the stuff you can buy for your car with the extra money. :rock:

A big well done to both of you Darrel.

Please do not give into temptation at event over the festive period. Other smokers saying "go onnnnn, have one, it's Christmas!"

Keep it up pal.

Ant. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom