Smug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So 83L tank.

“just over half” so let’s say 3/5?

So 50L of fuel

“I think I'm going to enjoy the 1000kms drive down south.” Edit: round trip!

So 620 miles total, 310 each way.

56 29mpg averaged. Official figures 29 combined.

Must have a very light foot. That’s excellent for a 320 diesel

Spot on.
Calais to Gers is approx 620 miles one way, 50 litres of fuel is about 11 gallons so the OP's CL500 averaged 56mpg. This doesn't include the miles driven in UK.

It probably does a realistic 28-30mpg on that sort of long-haul driving. Mine does - I have the older engine which is a touch thirstier but the E is a lighter car than the CL.

Distance was 548 miles - Roscoff to the Gers - tank was brimmed to the lip so not sure how much she held in total but certainly a good deal more than 83ltrs - computer say she AVERAGED 29 mpg - I was, for the most part, very light footed - held at 80mph nice and steady on the motorways - On the A roads where timed distances between tolls and cameras were absent, I gave her her head.... I should also mention she's been chipped so mid range punch is dramatic but also general fuel consumption is better. There were stretches (motorway) where it was 40mpg showing on the scale.

I was as surprised as anyone frankly...had thought it would be £££ more but ...... I should add that the needle was closer to the 1/4 full mark than the half mark... but even so...!

Last edited:
Distance was 548 miles - Roscoff to the Gers - tank was brimmed to the lip so not sure how much she held in total but certainly a good deal more than 83ltrs - computer say she AVERAGED 29 mpg - I was, for the most part, very light footed - held at 80mph nice and steady on the motorways - On the A roads where timed distances between tolls and cameras were absent, I gave her her head.... I should also mention she's been chipped so mid range punch is dramatic but also general fuel consumption is better. There were stretches (motorway) where it was 40mpg showing on the scale.

I was as surprised as anyone frankly...had thought it would be £££ more but ......
548 miles on just over half a tank is outstanding.

I think I need to get our cars chipped if that’s what it does to fuel consumption!

548 miles. Average consumption 29 mpg = 18.89 gallons. 18.89 x 4.54= 85.8 litres.

I was as surprised as anyone frankly...had thought it would be £££ more but ...... I should add that the needle was closer to the 1/4 full mark than the half mark... but even so...!

The maths doesn’t add up but tbh who cares. It’s a cl500 not a cdi. :thumb:

548 miles. Average consumption 29 mpg = 18.89 gallons. 18.89 x 4.54= 85.8 litres.

So the difference then must be the extra I squeezed in by brimming her literally to the top of the filler cap.... I should try an experiment and take her down to her last couple of litres or so and then fill her to the brim and see exactly how much she holds...Got to be a good deal more than 85ltrs..... but then again ..I'm not sure why I should bother... she does exactly what I want.... and frankly fuel cost isn't a particular worry... well not at the moment at any rate....

Fuel tank capacity on 2014 CL500 is either 21.9 gallons/99.5 litres or 19.8 gallons/90 litres depending on which site you go to.

Fuel tank capacity on 2014 CL500 is apparently 21.9 gallons or 99.5 litres.
Wow that’s great, my E320CDI with extended range tank is only 85 litres or so (brimmed)!!!

The filler neck is very long. On a 204 it goes from the offside at the filler flap, right around the wheel arch and then across the car to where it connects to the tank at the near side.

When filling up that high, you also fill up the breather tube which is why it so frequently cuts the pump when filling up the neck.

This year from Calaise to just beyond Bordeaux in my E350 CDI coupe 564 miles with 66ltrs diesel, reserve light came on with about 8 ltrs fuel remaining, computer showed 43.2mpg all motorway miles. Total miles to Spanish house,1,250mls in 20 years never yet done it on two tankfulls, When I owned an R32 vw golf slightly smaller tank it used to take five tanks, maybe I should get a CL500.

I would have guessed 30mpg for that kind of journey. Mine does 24mpg most of the time.

They don't hang around when pushed although they don't have the same urge as an AMG does.

What impresses me the most is the way it delivers the power through the gears and is relentless in each gear and the shift point is spot on. I guess that is the advantage of the very refined 7g+ gearbox and the engine with TT.

I wouldn't get 4 adults in comfort in mine if I am driving - just 3 as I have to have the seat all the way back.

They have a 90 litre tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom