Snake Belt Blues.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Not a song title but a story of Non OEM parts.

Bought in error from a well respected vendor on here a couple of belts for a 300TD.

On the left an unworn belt. Centre: after the burning in process...and right...a Merc OE belt.

So: fitted the Non OE belt and everything is hunky-dory for the first couple of hundred miles although did notice some rubber grains on the engine front.
Suddenly the engine makes loud thumping sound and shudders at mid revs. stops car and discovers belt thrashing round and broken hydraulic tensioner.
Turns out the rounded section rubber U's have burned their way into the V sections of the pulleys tearing lumps out the rubber in the process which then welded themselves to the inside of the grooves. As the belt goes across the pulleys it's stretching and relaxing with every rev. Luckily no other damage.

Moral of the story...Check the V's of a belt are not U's before you fit it. :D

Bad...

Good...

Last edited:
What are the numbers on the back of the belt, it looks like the supplied part isn't the correct spec.

What are the numbers on the back of the belt, it looks like the supplied part isn't the correct spec.

You're correct, the supplied belt is the wrong one. In my higgorance of all this I fitted it and went about my business. The supplier has admitted the error and rectified it in full. Well done him :thumb:.

I posted simply to alert others to check theirs before fitting.

Franey @ Wunderpartz. Hands-up, admitted the error, and replaced belt and damaged parts.

10/10 Brendan. :thumb:

Was the VIN given to supplier at outset ?

Sorry just saw this ^. Haven't got applicable Vin as it's conversion engine (see sig) with aircon delete and different power steering pump pulley. Belt was bought using length as determinate: however Bren and I discussed it fully and it was a simple selection mistake that was at fault. Now fully rectified I'm pleased to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom