Snapped exhaust bracket?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by JohnnyW202, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JohnnyW202

JohnnyW202 Active Member

Car:
    2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
    When changing my ATF today, just next to the transmission pan, when that little heat shield is you screw off, when dropping the pan, there's supposed to be an exhaust bracket. Now in the service history Mercedes said they repaired a corroded exhaust bracket.

Now I found it had only been tack welded to the pipe itself, it would be alot better if a C clamp went around the diameter of the pipe itself, anyway this bracket is bolted to the chassis with 2 nuts, and then poorly welded to the exhaust, it clearly doesn't look factory, does anyone know the part number? as it rattles about and sounds like a tank!

2. OP
    OP
    JohnnyW202

JohnnyW202 Active Member

Car:
    2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
    I've heard this can be caused by the Flex Disc on the Propshaft failing, leading to excessive vibration from the exhaust?

Also are these brackets all tack welded poorly to the exhaust?

3. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Cut the bracket off. You don't really need it.

4. chris clk320

chris clk320 Active Member

Car:
    CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
    Sorry to hijack and old thread but my car has this same problem and failed its MOT. its a 1995 W124 E220 coupe.

My car has a transmission mounted L shape bracket that held a c shape channel which was tacked to the exhaust pipe. I cant believe it left the factory like this?
    This weld has failed and the MOT inspector failed it on this and a track rod. So cutting it off isn't really an option. He did suggest that I weld it back to teh pipe? But as most of us we do like to put the cars back to how they should be or better.

I have trawled the net and can only see brackets that have a W shape that sits under the pipes and then claps with a threaded rod/clamp. ( this scenario is shown in the Haynes Manual.

My car has an L shaped bracket, I am trying to source the new clamp that held the pipes to the L shaped bracket but cannot find a diagram or part for it.

I hope my description goes some way to describing the issue and hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on how this assembly was originally.

Thanks

Chris