Snapped exhaust bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyW202

Car
2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
When changing my ATF today, just next to the transmission pan, when that little heat shield is you screw off, when dropping the pan, there's supposed to be an exhaust bracket. Now in the service history Mercedes said they repaired a corroded exhaust bracket.

Now I found it had only been tack welded to the pipe itself, it would be alot better if a C clamp went around the diameter of the pipe itself, anyway this bracket is bolted to the chassis with 2 nuts, and then poorly welded to the exhaust, it clearly doesn't look factory, does anyone know the part number? as it rattles about and sounds like a tank!

I've heard this can be caused by the Flex Disc on the Propshaft failing, leading to excessive vibration from the exhaust?

Also are these brackets all tack welded poorly to the exhaust?

Cut the bracket off. You don't really need it.

Sorry to hijack and old thread but my car has this same problem and failed its MOT. its a 1995 W124 E220 coupe.

My car has a transmission mounted L shape bracket that held a c shape channel which was tacked to the exhaust pipe. I cant believe it left the factory like this?
This weld has failed and the MOT inspector failed it on this and a track rod. So cutting it off isn't really an option. He did suggest that I weld it back to teh pipe? But as most of us we do like to put the cars back to how they should be or better.

I have trawled the net and can only see brackets that have a W shape that sits under the pipes and then claps with a threaded rod/clamp. ( this scenario is shown in the Haynes Manual.

My car has an L shaped bracket, I am trying to source the new clamp that held the pipes to the L shaped bracket but cannot find a diagram or part for it.

I hope my description goes some way to describing the issue and hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on how this assembly was originally.

Thanks

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom