Snapped Merc SL suspension coil - Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1EK

Car
Mercedes SL 3.7L AMG Speedshift - (Past: CLK 230, 190E, W201, W203)
Mercedes SL R230 year 2004, 3.7L

Hi All

My front coilover suspension has snapped about 1 full turn from the bottom and looks as though its been this way for a while judging by the rust on the open end. It was had to spot as the old snapped coil rotation was still there and even the garage hadn't spotted it.

(P.S I do not have ABC suspension just standard coil overs)

Options I can think of are:
  1. Simply remove the coilover, disassemble and replace with a new standard spring.
  2. Buy new spings all round and replace front and back, but go for a 30mm drop on the coils, I have used Eibach and H & R's before.
  3. Replace all corners with new adjustable aftermarket coilovers.
What would you recommend.

Thanks

Reading your post, I am going to assume you have a normal coil/damper set up oppose to a coilover suspension set up. If this is the case, I would swap them all out for H&R items personally, I did this with my CLS. MB OEM springs don't seem to last long at all!

The wifes B200 sport has just snapped exactly the same, I've gone and bought just the basic one, will replace over the weekend.
£27.50 all in. She won't notice .coil spring.JPG

Last edited:
As suggested, swap all four for H&R. They’ll last much longer than standard springs.

Reactions: Abb
As suggested, swap all four for H&R. They’ll last much longer than standard springs.
Not done bad for 2004 car, 17 years.

Hi A1EK,
I am considering fitting Eibach progressive springs on my 2008 350SL however, have been warned a bouncy or crashy ride ride as keeping original shocks which will not be matched to the springs. Which option did you go for? as your car photo looks nicely lowered. Did you suffer any ride issues?

Eibach is the one to go for , 'progressive' is a bit of marketing as most Eibach springs are linear I can look for you if you want ?

With Eibach's they have a wide damping range from good condition stock , to my favourite Bilstein B4
( slightly uprated oe ) , normal length uprated Bilstein B6 and shortened uprated Bilstein B8 .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Always best to do new dampers and top mounts etc .

Gazwould,
Thanks for the info and video, yes informative. I have car maintained at a Mercedes indie called I N Autos and they said they could easily take my money to fit just the springs but they would not recommend due to the potential ride issues. The labour is quite high on the SL because the rear struts are a pain to access so I don't want to find a garage to do this but then pay them again to reverse the modification. I don't have the funds to do the dampners, top mounts etc as have spent alot on tyres x4, wheels and service.

The wifes B200 sport has just snapped exactly the same, I've gone and bought just the basic one, will replace over the weekend.
£27.50 all in. She won't notice .View attachment 110853
Interesting to see you’ve got a KYB replacement, I couldn’t get an aftermarket one for our B180 with sports suspension (four yellow dots). Sachs out of stock everywhere in the UK and KYB didn’t do a matching one. Got one from the dealership for £82.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom