Snaps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Boxing Day on Tenby beach
P1030918.JPG

P1030922.JPG

Happy New Year from Crystal Palace

Some snaps of today's jaunt to Crystal Palace park.

New%20Years%20Day_003.JPG

New%20Years%20Day_022.JPG

New%20Years%20Day_023.JPG

New%20Years%20Day_037.JPG

New%20Years%20Day_039.JPG

New%20Years%20Day_043.JPG

Hope you all had a good 2009 - all the best for 2010

Ade

Best of 2009

Whilst it has been a pretty barren year for me photographically, I am relatively happy that I can at least put together a half decent single page of pics that I don't mind putting my name to.

Rather than spam this thread with a load of pics I have already posted they are in a gallery here

Clicky

Please be be patient and let the thumbnails load, or just click on the first image and let the slideshow do the work for you - sorry about the delay in loading :)

Mark

Best of 2009

Whilst it has been a pretty barren year for me photographically, I am relatively happy that I can at least put together a half decent single page of pics that I don't mind putting my name to.

Rather than spam this thread with a load of pics I have already posted they are in a gallery here

Clicky

Please be be patient and let the thumbnails load, or just click on the first image and let the slideshow do the work for you - sorry about the delay in loading :)

Mark
Mark
Great pics indeed . How did you set up the folder please?
Mike

Some Pictures Of The Yearly LA Trip..Spend Spree

heatnite20.jpg

View From Grittith
img0194l.jpg

img0458ep.jpg

friend took a pic with selective colour with a cannon g11..
heatnite24.jpg

this one im very proud of this lifetime experiance.. me(left) and my brother sitting in Kate Mantalini the same resturaunt that HEAT was shot in on the same table area that deniro and pacino sat, always wanted to do this.. food was about £100pp very crazy
heatnite43.jpg

view from hollywood hills
simon2144.jpg

the hollywood gate
james41.jpg

Really like the first picture :thumb:

- the rest are of my pet hate in California (LA), but strangely from the one place I did enjoy up in the hills by the Hollywood sign. I think I have some shots from a very similar spot.

Mark

Here are my last couple of California from last year

Last light on Yosemite
valley.jpg

Cascades - Yosemite valley
yosemite.jpg

An intentional repost of the Bodie car as there are a couple to go with it
Bodie1.jpg

bodie.jpg

Old time treatment
Bodie6.jpg

Finally - along with Bodie there was a real wish to get to the racetrack in Death Valley where rocks apparently move on their own leaving trails behind them

Racetrack.jpg

Whitstable

Quick trip down to Whitstable this afternoon. Discovered black & white tweaky bits on Picasa!
Mrs B took the last one.

whitstable_024.jpg

whitstable_033.jpg

whitstable_057.jpg

whitstable_063.jpg

whitstable_064.jpg

whitstable_067.jpg

whitstable_012.JPG

whitstable_041.jpg

Ade

Last edited:
B&W can work well under certain circumstances - but your pics are normally so full of colour I was surprised to see you even trying it :)

Some B&W conversions can be massively improved using Photoshops channel mixer, as opposed to just desaturating - give it a go

Cheers Mark, most of the b&w pics are tweaked using the red 'filter' in picasa rather than a straight desaturation, I think the timber close up was using the green. The colour pics of some were pretty flat.

I'm sure curve twiddles and some (un)sharpening would bring out more in the pics but I've got an ancient version of Photoshop 6 and have tried Gimp and the time it takes to fiddle with large RAW files is so long, I run out of steam very quickly :)

Still finding out how to use the lens (35mm DX prime). It seems to have a sweet spot at f8 although most of the time I have it almost wide open... ideally I'd like to get the pics I want without any post fiddling..

Squished Jpegs of a couple of the pics untweaked for comparison.

whitstable_057.jpg

whitstable_064.jpg

All good fun though.

Ade

Last edited:
B & W images seem to emphasise the subject whereas colour the image?

Love the composition :D

Snaps from this afternoon's walk round the park

sunday%20stuff_010.jpg

sunday%20stuff_013.jpg

sunday%20stuff_024.jpg

sunday%20stuff_035.jpg

sunday%20stuff_042.jpg

biscuits_004.JPG

Images taken with my £65 from fleabay 70-300mm Nikkor zoom, really needs stronger light as the colours were really washed out (hence b&w) and it needs very high shutter speeds to avoid blur..

Last image my current favourite lens (of the three I own) - Nikkor 35mm DX prime. Junior B in a box :)

Ade

This thread's not the same without Mark :(

Some great pics everyone, just an idea I like to know whats been used to take them..

Are posters able to list there camera / lens set up?

I have been talking to people in AV a work and one is getting a new Cannon 5D mkII (think thats right) and with lens its £2350, then we also have a work 1D? around £4000 and I just wonder how much better these are than say a Nikon D90 I was looking at last year for a toy town £700 (with lens).

I suppose I could just borrow it....but then its knowing how to use it :)

Some great pics everyone, just an idea I like to know whats been used to take them..

I have been talking to people in AV a work and one is getting a new Cannon 5D mkII (think thats right) and with lens its £2350, then we also have a work 1D? around £4000 and I just wonder how much better these are than say a Nikon D90 I was looking at last year for a toy town £700 (with lens).

I've a D90 I bought to replace a Canon Ixus 5 something. I wanted to be able to control the depth of field (blurry backgrounds) which I couldn't with the Canon, although it's a great camera. For lenses, I've only 3 and can't see a need for anymore at the moment:

Nikkor 18-105mm f4.5-5.6VR lens it came with which I hardly use now and would sell but for the wide angle aspect and VR which is pretty good in low light.
Nikkor 35mm DX f1.8 prime bought new (the equivalent of a 50mm lens) which is great and is on the camera all the time, super sharp at f8 and nice and blurry at f2.
Nikkor 70-300mm f.4.5-5.6G zoom from ebay £65 which I've only used once so far. This is a cheap lens for a reason (needs lots of light to be used hand held) but I didn't want to fork out £300+ for the newer VR version.

If I had the cash I'd have a D700 or a 5D for the larger FX sensor for those uber sharp pics and a decent large monitor and Photoshop CS4, but so far, I'm still learning tons on the D90 and am really pleased with it and free Picasa 3 offers a means to quickly tweak photos without losing all my spare time fiddling with curves and adjustment layers...

I have a friend (who exhibits his photos) who has a 5D and also a Canon S90 which he loves. One of the things Rockwell gets right, its not the kit that makes the pics...

You take great pics with your current camera, what is it you want to change?

Ade

I too use a Nikon D90 - I have just two lens which I find suit 95% of my requirements.
A AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm1:2.8 G ED which I use for close ups and for portraits
And a AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED DX VR which is my general purpose lens.

I like some of the shots I've taken but a lot are just snaps...Usually shoot in AP mode. In RAW format. (taking a tip from Mark )

Thanks Ade,

My current camera is a bridge camera a Fuji S6500fd (new £250 and now probably £50 I've had it 3 years), and too be honest I'm still impressed with the pictures it takes. I just feel like a change, although more recently I'm using mine in manual mode to get to grips with how it works.

Some I took in a Very Cold and misty LIverpool the other day / night

DSCF6684.jpg

DSCF6663.jpg

DSCF6683.jpg

I would like a longer zoom, mine is approx 300mm. Also in low light it doen't seem to be as crisp. One last thing for track days mine does a burst of three shots quickly...but then you have to wait for it to process them to take another 3...too slow :)

But then I think would I be upset spending upwards of £700 and have the hastle of changing lens etc and not get any better pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom