Snocks snow sock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian George-P

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a pair for my CLS 320. The Snocks make is a Which best buy, however, does anyone have any experience with these. Are they any good really? They cost around £60 a pair and the reviews on line seem mixed.

Winter Tyres all day long!

Picture the scenario!

You & the Mrs etc are off out for a meal or whatever etc

You get stuck or start to get too slippy for comfort, what next?

You jump out in the middle of a road with traffic all around spraying slush and diesel everywhere and your gonna get down on ya hands and knees in ya best clobber and start trying to wrap snow socks around ya shytey wheels?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fek that for a Game-O-soldiers! :rolleyes:

Bloke behind cruises past in serenity with his winter boots on and arrives at said restaurant clean and un-ruffled and is sipping a nice glass of red while you're still rolling around in the shyte while the Wifes got the window down giving you shyte for being a numpty!

:cool:

Picture the scenario!

You & the Mrs etc are off out for a meal or whatever etc

You get stuck or start to get too slippy for comfort, what next?

You jump out in the middle of a road with traffic all around spraying slush and diesel everywhere and your gonna get down on ya hands and knees in ya best clobber and start trying to wrap snow socks around ya shytey wheels?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fek that for a Game-O-soldiers! :rolleyes:

Bloke behind cruises past in serenity with his winter boots on and arrives at said restaurant clean and un-ruffled and is sipping a nice glass of red while you're still rolling around in the shyte while the Wifes got the window down giving you shyte for being a numpty!
and the problem is what ? LOL

gh3382

Wife???

Depending on what night and which hotel / restaurant ... Too many variables .... Either she like me to get down and get dirty or...
Maybe I should drive the hummer instead.:)

I like the idea of winter tyres, even the ones where they supply them with steel wheels from 90-quid a wheel but would it not make more sense to buy the 4-Seasons tyres that you simply leave on all year round? The makers claim that they give up to 90% of the grip that a winter tyre gives anyway. Dunlop, Goodyear and many other named brands now offer these so I'm thinking of fitting them all round on my C270 estate but still keep the composite snow chains in the boot just in case, sort of belt and braces? Any comments from you MB winter snow drivers?
Al.

The new 4 season tyres are great. On anything but a sports car car, just leave them on all year around and dont worry about chains or sox as you simply wont need them.

If you are going to a ski resort then socks are ideal... everyone uses them now, even the local buses etc... so simple to put on and they are very reliable.

Even snow tyres can struggle in resort.

and dont worry about chains or sox as you simply wont need them.

I can't help feeling that the concept of 'winter' or 'all season' tyres is being misunderstood. The benefits are not so much about snow as about general cold weather performance. They are not a substute for chains or socks when conditions are really nasty.

I can't help feeling that the concept of 'winter' or 'all season' tyres is being misunderstood. The benefits are not so much about snow as about general cold weather performance. They are not a substute for chains or socks when conditions are really nasty.

I'm not sure I agree.

My inlaws live in an alpine village where they have snow from November through till April. They all use normal winter tyres and even in the worst conditions and with 2wd cars, they havn't resorted to chains or socks for about 10 years now since the tyre technology has come on leaps and bounds.

I think the law still says they have to carry chains so they tend to carry a set of chains although these tend to be something that once fitted a car they used to own and not something that would be even remotely close to fitting the car they actually drive.

The only people that use chains are poorly prepared tourists who dont have winter tyres.

I think one needs to be very careful with the use of the term "all season tyres" as it is often very misunderstood. A much better term for them is four season tyres.

Although I have winter tyres fitted, I also carry a pair of Bottari snow socks around in the boot but thankfully have never had to use them. The only trouble I can imagine I would have in fitting them is that the tyres are close to the wheel arches so unless you have small hands it might be tricky slipping them over the tyre.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, today I took the plunge and had 2 All Season Continental-Contact 225 X 45 X 17's to the front wheels and next week when the new stock arrives will go for the rear tyres which are Continental Sport Contact 3 X/Load 245 X 40 X17? These were the sizes on the car when I bought it so I'm just sticking to those sizes. I'll still carry the Halford's Composite snow chains in the back just in case the grandkids want to visit Father Chistmas.

Cheers, Al.

Huh?

This is a rear wheel drive car?

It looks like you've read the advice and decided to do the opposite... :confused:

Suggest you halt your order and rethink seriously. You are specifying a 4x4 tyre on the front and sports tyres on the back - neither are winter tyres and with sport contact 3's on the rear you'll not move off your drive.

Last edited:
The socks are great for the grip, get you out the snow.
But they are a pain once you are out the snow as you cannot ( not suppose to) drive more then 30mph, then everyone without the sock is piling behind you...
Make sure you got a bucket to put them in once you are finish with, they'll be very slushy and dirty... Making a real mess in the "net" that they are usually provided with...
I used them 2 years ago, they were really good, the grip was amazing, but you need to put them in and out which is a pain...
But definitely they can be very handy.
I went to places I could never have been without them.

Thanks Sp!ke,
Order not placed but front tyres were a gift and 98% brand new, how can I refuse? The full spec is Continental-Contact ts 830P and the well known tyre supplier assured me that they were All Weather tyres and would be perfect for winter, they came off one of the Audie's of a Continental sales REP who found that the drummed on his car, they don't drum now and ride great. Continental say they don't make the rear sizes I need in the All weather type but both Goodyear and Pirelli do, so I'm now looking at those. The size that was on when I bought the car was FRONT 225 X 45 X 17 and REAR 245 X 40 X 17 and both were of budget quality (40-quid a tyre that's why I'm changing them).
If I go to a tyre size of 245 X 45 X 17 for the rear these are available in all weather/all seasons from Goodyear and Pirelli but not sure if the extra 5-mm on the wall height will be a problem, what thinks thee? I must add, I'm not going Alpine, just the UK

Al.

The sidewall will be over 12mm taller on the 245/45 tyres.

The 40 and 45 refer to the 'Aspect Ratio', not a specific measurement. It's the sidewall height as a percentage of the tyre width.

The 245/40/17 will have a sidewall height of 245 x 0.40 or 98mm

The 245/45/17 work out as 245 x 0.45 or 110.25mm

Thanks Sp!ke,
Order not placed but front tyres were a gift and 98% brand new, how can I refuse? The full spec is Continental-Contact ts 830P and the well known tyre supplier assured me that they were All Weather tyres and would be perfect for winter,

Technically, they are apparently Winter tyres.

The Continental WinterContact TS 830 P is a Ultra High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Continental WinterContact TS 830 P | the Continental WinterContact TS 830 P reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Continental Winter Contact TS 830P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom