Snorkelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PAUL R

Car
Golf SV GT,Polo SEL (gone) ML270 CDI (gone)SLK230 (gone)
Hi Guys & Guyesses,

Does anybody on the forum go snorkelling,and if so what is the best equipment to buy.

I mean value for money.

Best fins
Best mask
Best snorkel
Best shorties

It always seems to me that you go in to a dive shop, and they want to sell you what they want to ,(because i am out of my depth, as you might say). :eek:

Not knowing what is good stuff and just plain rubbish,as it all looks good in the fancy packaging,with the hefty price tag. :crazy:

There never seems to be anyone around you can ask how a particular piece of equipment performs,so i am asking the question what actualy is the best equipment, value for money. :)

Are you only going Snorkelling or Scuba Diving? If Scuba Diving you want to make sure you get a mask and fins that fit well. There is nothing worse than an ill-fitting mask! A respectable dive shop should make good recommendations.

RichardM said:
Are you only going Snorkelling or Scuba Diving? If Scuba Diving you want to make sure you get a mask and fins that fit well. There is nothing worse than an ill-fitting mask! A respectable dive shop should make good recommendations.

Just Snorkelling.

But what is the best value for money. :confused:

I always found Tusa equipment reasonably good value for money. I never managed to break anything they made.

try simplyscuba.com and kentdiving.com

Mares fins are good.
Mares semi-dry is good, or a titanium-lined shortie.
Technisub Look mask is good.
Get neoprene gloves from a fishing shop (will have removable mitts)
Beaver hood (7mm)

Just my opinion, based on what I use.

scotth_uk said:
I always found Tusa equipment reasonably good value for money. I never managed to break anything they made.

Cheers Scott,

Thats what i wanted somthing i can abuse (metaphorically speaking) that don't cost the earth. :)

nickmann said:
try simplyscuba.com and kentdiving.com

Mares fins are good.
Mares semi-dry is good, or a titanium-lined shortie.
Technisub Look mask is good.
Get neoprene gloves from a fishing shop (will have removable mitts)
Beaver hood (7mm)

Just my opinion, based on what I use.

Thanks Nick,
It is a good site and the prices are very good. :)

Try procella, I got some bits from them for hols this year, all spot on fit and seem well made. They supply a few schools so should be built to last.
I got stuff from ebay but they have a site too.
Kate

lil.smartie said:
Try procella, I got some bits from them for hols this year, all spot on fit and seem well made. They supply a few schools so should be built to last.
I got stuff from ebay but they have a site too.
Kate

Cheers Kate,
I will look them up :)

/me votes for technisub too. Haven't seen any for a while, but the post above reminded me.

So technisub equipment is the value/performance for money.

The procrella site that Katie say's is very informative on wetsuits(shorties), with that information,I now know what to look for in a shortie.(and not just little legs) :D

Has anyone heard of a purge mask? and if so, do you know of anyone using one? and what were the results? would they recommended them?

So we have

Mares Fins
A Technisub mask
A Purge snorkel
and a
A Neoprene Shortie that has titainium threads in nylon which is of at least 3mm thick

Don't be tricked Paul into buying a wetsuit with a flashy name eg. Rip Curl, Quiksilver, O'neill et al

Gul wetsuits are great value for money, cutting edge design, most of their suits are titanium impregnated and best of all, they a re British (made on Callywith Gate Industrial Estate, Bodmin, Cornwall)

I have only ever worn Gul suits and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them !

www.gul.co.uk

Paul,

If at all possible, I'd advise you get to a dive shop to try some masks on. There'll be no obligation to buy!!

It's a question of personal comfort and what is right for one may not feel right for someone else. If you can get to a dive shop, they should ask you to perform a little test when trying it on. Hold it to your face without placing the strap over your head and breath in through your nose. If the seal is right for you, it should stay in place and it will take a little force to pull it off your face.

Also, make sure you get full-foot fins unless you particularly want to buy neoprene boots as well.

Howard said:
Don't be tricked Paul into buying a wetsuit with a flashy name eg. Rip Curl, Quiksilver, O'neill et al

Gul wetsuits are great value for money, cutting edge design, most of their suits are titanium impregnated and best of all, they a re British (made on Callywith Gate Industrial Estate, Bodmin, Cornwall)

I have only ever worn Gul suits and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them !

www.gul.co.uk

Hi Howard,I know were you are coming from on that one,fancy colours and a flash name cost silly money and they seem to be made cheaply,the seams seem to be weak and not finished off right.
So i take onboard what you have said and will have a look at the Gul range,as well as the Procella range. :)

Thanks

jukie said:
Paul,

If at all possible, I'd advise you get to a dive shop to try some masks on. There'll be no obligation to buy!!

It's a question of personal comfort and what is right for one may not feel right for someone else. If you can get to a dive shop, they should ask you to perform a little test when trying it on. Hold it to your face without placing the strap over your head and breath in through your nose. If the seal is right for you, it should stay in place and it will take a little force to pull it off your face.

Also, make sure you get full-foot fins unless you particularly want to buy neoprene boots as well.

Hi Jukie,Like what i have just posted about the shorties,fancy names aren't my thing,so it is the suck it and see test for the mask and take the one that fits the best.I'll be on the look out for the technisub range here then. :)
On the fins side of things a full foot is a must as i wouldn't like to wear a boot. :)
Cheers

Hi Guys and Guyesses,

Well i took your advice and tried the suck it and see test, and brought 2 masks, a Technisub and a Unidive and also 2 Aqua lung snorkels,along with 2 pair of enclosed fins :). All at the cost of just over £200 :rolleyes: ,the bride and myself are all set for a caribbean snorkelling adventure :).

I was advised not to bother with the shorties, as the water is not very cold,(i already know this, as we have been there before ;) ). Unless i was planning to do some snorkelling in UK waters,which we may do another time,and then i will take your advice Howard and go for the GUL shorties :cool:.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom