Snow Chains on W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezbo

Car
E250 CDI Sport (W212)
Has anyone on here successfully used snow-chains on a W212 E250 CDI Sport on 18 inch rims? According to the manual they are 'not permitted' on the 265/35 R18 (9.0 J x 18) fitted as standard on the sport (the 245/45 R18 - 8.5J x 18 are fine)

However, all of the snow-chain website sell chains that they say fit OK on the E250 with those tyres/rims (265/35).

I will be changing to narrower winter tyres 245/45's, which should fit on the 9.0J rims ok(?) - but don't really want to have to get a new set of wheels as well just to satisfy the legal requirement to fit chains in France when we go in Feb.

Michelin do a very low profile "chain". Its not really a chain but its accepted by the French as satisfying their rules. I think its called Michelin Easy Grip or something similar. Mght be worth a look.

Don`t all snow chains damage alloy wheels though?

No. I have a set of Thule chains (cant remember the model) that fasten to the wheel bolt and then grip the tyre. Nothing touches the surface of the alloy nor is there anything behind the wheel. They are actually surprisingly easy to fit once you have done it once.

Michelin do a very low profile "chain". Its not really a chain but its accepted by the French as satisfying their rules. I think its called Michelin Easy Grip or something similar. Mght be worth a look.
Thanks GP801 - they look ideal, unfortunately I've just had a look at them, and they don't seem to do them wide enough to fit my tyres...

Jezbo

I cannot specifically answer your question at Post #1, but you might have a look at this link. They have most of the options including "Weissenfels" & "Thule" - the real thing with swift, free delivery.
Some of the designs are especially for potentially 'vulnerable' alloy wheels.

Regards, lim

Last edited:
Just get a set of cheap winter wheels and tyres and carry any old set of chains to satisfy plod if required (don't worry about fitment as you won't be needing to fit them and plod wont check they fit)

Thanks Sp!ke and lim, I think I'm going to go for a set of Maggi chains, they're a bit cheaper than the Thule ones (that don't scratch alloys and need virtually zero clearence) and Roofbox.co.uk are doing a multi-purchase discount, which brings price down to about £160 (there's a few of us going with same "no chains" alloys) - so should still be cheaper than the cheap wheels/cheap tyres option...

Wrong move imho.

Chains are awful and winter tyres rock!

Sp!ke said:
Wrong move imho. Chains are awful and winter tyres rock!

Still going to get winter tyres, but on the same rims. Only need the chains for the legal aspect - just worried that the police will force me to put chains on, which could damage alloys and more if not recommended by MB - but the maggi ones should be ok. First time driving to the Alps so wasn't sure how insistent the police are.

I haven't see anyone with winter tyres needing to fit chains for 15 years now.

So are you saying that the police won't make me put snow chains on if I've got winter tyres on? I'd like to think that's the case, but I've seen other information that suggests I'd have to put the chains on regardless (admittedly that was from the websites selling snow chains....)

Sometimes they check if you are carrying them but I very much doubt you'll be made to fit them.

Still going to get winter tyres, but on the same rims. Only need the chains for the legal aspect - just worried that the police will force me to put chains on, which could damage alloys and more if not recommended by MB - but the maggi ones should be ok. First time driving to the Alps so wasn't sure how insistent the police are.

As you are fitting winter tyres it's highly unlikely you'll need to fit chains, so you'll just need to carry them to meet the legal requirement. Since 2011 in France, you can also buy a pair of snow socks instead of chains, they are cheaper and won't damage your alloys if in the worst case scenario you had to fit them.

Only time I've ever needed to fit chains was on the croisiere blanche...
croisiere_blanche_2001_02.jpg

Toy_bj40_croisiere_2004.jpg

9899477.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Just a thought... is it not more economical to buy a set of winter wheels with appropriate suized tyres and chains than it would be to just change your current tyres to go with your existing wheels?

I suspect that initial purchase cost may be similar territory but with the benefits of being able to swap them over yourself seasonally without needing to go to a tyre shop and when you eventually change cars, you can either re-use your winter wheels on your next car or simply stick them on ebay and get a considerable portion of your investment back.

That was an option I was considering... I plotted it all on a spreadsheet and the wheels & tyres option was cheaper if I went for 17s over 3 years. The reason I can't decide is that I only got the car last weekend and love the look of it on the 18s!

Hmmmmmm

I bought some 18" winter alloys that are TUV approved, have a 5 year finish warranty, designed for MB's and cost just £320 delivered for the set of 4.

Cheers

Steve

stevehg said:
I bought some 18" winter alloys that are TUV approved, have a 5 year finish warranty, designed for MB's and cost just £320 delivered for the set of 4. Cheers Steve

Yes, thanks Steve, I noticed the thread you started when you got the wheels - they look great, price seems to have risen to nearly £100 each now...

That was an option I was considering... I plotted it all on a spreadsheet and the wheels & tyres option was cheaper if I went for 17s over 3 years. The reason I can't decide is that I only got the car last weekend and love the look of it on the 18s!

Hmmmmmm

i got 17's for mine bought the wheels 2nd hand 1 here 2 there and so on. Then bought 4 winter tyres, in total cost me £336 for the tyres and about £200 for the wheels

Yes, thanks Steve, I noticed the thread you started when you got the wheels - they look great, price seems to have risen to nearly £100 each now...

I probably caught it at a good time for £ - € exchange rate. If I recall the 17"s were around £60-70 a wheel. So this may be an option.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom