Snow Chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Every year, around Christmas, ECP, Aldi, Lidl, and everyone else have deals on snow chains... usually selling a set of two for £25.

That said, I can't seem to find a set in that price range for my 225/45/19 (ecp seem to max out at 18" rims).

Any suggestions?

M/

Found a company that has quite a bit of stock, £35 delivered. If they arrive (ordered yesterday), I'll post a link here...

Excellent price.

What are they like?

Going to try my local store, see if they have any in stock.

I've had lidl chains before - they're snow chains. Not much technology in them :p

The more expensive ones have easier to fit options, but the cheap ones still work. Just more finicky to fit, but you get used to it.

The lidl ones also come with 3-year warranty which is nice...

As to fit, you need your tyre size (e.g. 225/45/19) and find the right one.

M.

P.S. Keep in mind you shouldn't exceed 20mph on chains, and shouldn't use them if you can see tarmac. The tarmac needs to be totally covered with snow/ice to use chains.

Also, no point in going today - they start stocking them on Monday ;)

M.

Aha, gotcha. Never used snow chains before but at £20 its worth putting in the boot, just in case.

Ok, so they come in different tyre sizes.

Thanks for the headsup, starts on Monday - will be there early.

Btw, whilst we're on the subject, what are those snow tracks like, any good? Do they work well in such conditions?

What do you mean by snow tracks?

Do you mean the little rubber things for your shoes?

Or snow chains for your in a track shape? (in which case, really easy to fit- but I'm not willing to pay an extra £150 to save 10 minutes)

Or the sand-ladder type things for snow (in which case, they are useful... for about a meter, then you need to get out and move them :p)

M.

My understanding is that snow chains damage alloy wheels which is why I have invested in a pair of snow socks instead.

My understanding is that snow chains damage alloy wheels which is why I have invested in a pair of snow socks instead.

One word of warning - I haven't seen a set of snow socks that have legal approval in Italy yet. Being stopped by the police could have problematic consequences.

M.

I'm going on a skiing trip to France, so I've beed doing some research. Autosocks now seem to be approved by the French authorities since a few years ago. Even then, I heard that the Gendarmerie can still give you grief, so need to print off the necessary announcements from their own website apparently.

They are still not a legal replacement to snow chains in some other European countries.

I went to France for skiing last week, rented a car there from europcar. They wanted 50ish euros for a week's rental of chains, so I stopped at carrefour to buy a set for 14.90euros...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom