Snow chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ibaykiddinyo

Car
MB C220 Estate
Hi all,
I usually like to be prepared than wish I'd have got something earlier so basically can anyone recomend a decent set of snow chains?

I live on a quiet estate that doesn't see any grit and last year even in my Old front wheel drive Focus it was a game getting to a main road, no sign of snow yet but would hate regretting not getting any if things were to change.

Also can they cause damage to alloys?
Any info/ advice appreciated, Thanks in advance:thumb:

If they are only to be used to exit your estate then maybe snow socks are a better solution being easier to remove.

.... or winter tyres ?

I did consider the socks but thought chains would cover more situations should I need them, for ease I may still get some socks, I'll have to look into the winter tyres.
Cheers

Keep in mind with chains, you cannot use them if you can see any tarmac - they are purely for when the road is totally covered.

For slush, which is what we get more often, I would suggest snow socks or even better, winter tyres.

/sits back and waits for the backlash

M

C220 estate - you don't say what year, so don't know if it's a 203 or 204. I've had a 203 C270 and have a 204 C220, after the experience of the first year (pretty much immobilised by a small amount of snow) I put winter tyres on about November time until March, they're better in wet and/or slush than summer tyres, and when the white stuff is around they're the difference between mobile and immobile.

You've possibly left it too late this year to get a bargain on ebay. First find the exact spec of your wheels - 203 wheels do not fit a 204 (12mm bolt holes not 14mm!), to fit 203 wheels to a 203 you need special bolts from alloywheelsdirect.
Then be patient on Ebay - I got my 204 wheels in "as new" condition for just over £200!!

Get a pair of snow socks which I have in my boot just in case. I understand chains often damage your alloys so I have avoided these.
On my last car I purchased a second hand set of alloys and had a very good set of used winter tyres which helped in icy conditions, but saw no snow. This is the best answer but only worth it if you keep your cars for a number of years which I don`t.

I have used my snow socks in the past for exactly the same thing i.e. getting onto the main road. I live at the bottom of a hill and they work fine to get up and out. Winter tyres are better as others have said but down here in the South East you never really need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom