snow chains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nicko, Jan 5, 2010.

1. nicko

nicko Active Member

Car:
    E300 Turbodiesel
    Anyone ever used snow chains in this country? Thinking of buying some tomorrow.I'm finding it hard work trying to back up my drive and leaving the estate.
    The snow is heading south.

2. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    From what I've read, winter tyres are possibly a better bet than snow chains.

The tyres will provide continuous added grip. But for the snow chains you're naturally going to have to stop to take them on/off frequently.

(lots of recent threads for additional information)

1 person likes this.
  3. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    I wouldnt bother. Chains are a PITA to fit and cant be used unless the road is completely covered in snow.

Snow socks might be a better idea but the sensible money is on a set of winter tyres and cheap steel wheels so you can swap over autumn and spring. Mytyres have a deal on them at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    nicko

nicko Active Member

Car:
    E300 Turbodiesel
    I don't really want to swap tyres just for a couple of days of heavy snow,i'ts just a quick fix i'm after

5. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

Never used them (see my car) However my dad has used a similar set up that he uses when he goes to France this time of year. A sort of small hub cap fits over the alloy and you clip the plastic 'snow chain type gadget' onto this.

Its a lot easier than fitting snow chains that can be fiddly (he had chains before these)

Downside is you need to fit the connectors to the alloys first (although once fitted they are almot quick realease)

Will try and google them...

6. Stratman

Stratman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    Having used chains in the Alps a few times I wouldn't recommend them unless your entire journey is on snow. Used on tarmac the edges of the links become nicely sharpened and start shredding the tyre.

7. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

1 person likes this.
  8. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Spare set of rims and winter tyres fitted for December - March. First time I have done it this year. The difference is astonishing; why did I not invest in a set of rims years ago?
    Been driving in the snow today - w124 estate with Michelin Alpin tyres - very easy and safe - my main problem was anticipating which direction the cars around me were sliding and skidding with wheels locked or spinning - I doubt very much that I would have made it home on summer tyres in the 124.

9. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d

I appreciate your sentiments, as I had the same.

Winter tyres are not only for snow/ice but for cold weather motoring too.

Whilst your using your winter tyres and steel wheels you're saving your nice and expensive summer tyres and alloys.

So really the only additional cost is for the steel wheels, which using the MyTyres offer works out at roughly £20 a wheel.

Many people put their winter tyres on for 3-4 months a year so get good safe motoring from them. Well worth the additional cost then.

2 people like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    nicko

nicko Active Member

Car:
    E300 Turbodiesel
    Thanks,i may just leave the car parked up for a couple of days as i don't want the hassle of changing tyres at the moment.I just hope you don't get the same amount of snow that we have

11. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Arent snow chains illegal over here?

12. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

yep i think so.

13. rees_A

rees_A Banned

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    hmm Snowing quite heavily at the mo. Not sure if I'm gonna be getting anywhere in the morning. Could take my sons Golf to work....He has wide wheels though...Damn!!!

14. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Or £50 or so buy a set of snow socks. Obviously the best solution is winter tyres on steel rims. But for emergencies snow socks may be your answer. Have a set in my boot, but just as we get decent snow for the first time for ages I'm laid up unable to drive :mad:

15. camerafodder

camerafodder Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    No, its only illegal to use them if the road surface isn't covered in snow or ice.

16. x332race

x332race Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I used snow chains in the snow in spring 2009 in UK and these got me out of my road which is not plowed or gritted. I am not aware that chains are illegal in uk and have never seen anything to this effect....no reason for them to be illegal. However, I believe that studded tyres are illegal??

I have 245/40/17 rear wheels and I used Trax chains, which are similar to Spikes Spiders.....normal chains do not fit due to limited clearance between wheel and bodywork...have to be very careful fitting, but ok once on.

Tried using Snowsocks but could not fit them without jacking car up due to limited clearance around wheel (you need to be able to get your hands behind the wheel at the top to fit....in my opinion, they are not great for wider wheels.

I now have winter tyres fitted and am able to drive through snow without a 2nd thought!

3 people like this.
  17. Gridlock

Gridlock Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C43 AMG
  18. ckember

ckember Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
    mytyres are out of stock of the steel wheel and tyre packages for my S211 E320cdi, Dam

19. KNU7S

KNU7S Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
    I saw a chap in a saab 9000 yesterday with snow chains on his fromt wheels driving up bristol road on Gloucester but because the roads had cleared he could only do 15mph as they were making such a noise!

He did have a beard and a wollen jumper

20. Barbanasos

Barbanasos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes E200 w124 and 2000 E55 AMG
    Get snow socks, they will fit even wide tyres on large rims. Have used snow chains in Greece on my dads Bm. Once you had them on for a while they stifen up on the inside and a pain to remove. Plus you have to remove as soon as you hit clear road. Snow socks are the best option, roughly between £50 and £60 and they will not strain the tyres. A nice accessory.

Tags: