snow chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get snow socks, they will fit even wide tyres on large rims. Have used snow chains in Greece on my dads Bm. Once you had them on for a while they stifen up on the inside and a pain to remove. Plus you have to remove as soon as you hit clear road. Snow socks are the best option, roughly between £50 and £60 and they will not strain the tyres. A nice accessory.

Good, but snowsocks are a pain to fit to wide wheels with limited clearance between rubber and bodywork...I know, I've tried 245/40/17 on a C270...could not actually get my hands in to fit them without jacking up car.

mytyres are out of stock of the steel wheel and tyre packages for my S211 E320cdi, Dam

mark your calendar for 1st October to get them ordered for next yr; there will be plenty of stock then.

I ordered a set of steel wheels and winter tyres (16 inch wheels with Bridgestone LM30s 205/55/16) for my E class from tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk: cheap passenger, summer, winter tyres and tyre dealer just before Xmas as the last snows were still on the ground and my car was stuck on the drive refusing to move. £492 all in delivered from Germany.

They arrived this Tuesday and I fitted them that afternoon and we then had lots of snow that night. The car now moves as if it was on tank tracks! Last time I could not even get it up our drive which can't have more than a 5 degree incline and even slid sideways into a kerb and scrubbed my 18 inch AMG alloys which await a refurb!!

Will stay on until the spring I suppose although beingh a black car with black steel wheels it looks like something off Robocop!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you suggest replacing all 4 wheels, or just the rear (driven) pair?

Definately all four on a RWD car imho.

thanks, that would have been my guess to help steering.

Might be fun then as my fronts have the large brakes, so guess I will need to find some 17" steel wheels. or can you squeeze 16" ones over the C320CDI brakes.

I saw a chap in a saab 9000 yesterday with snow chains on his fromt wheels driving up bristol road on Gloucester but because the roads had cleared he could only do 15mph as they were making such a noise!

He did have a beard and a wollen jumper

Well that explains it then.

In the UK cannot use tyres or equipment that causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road.

Many people think that means studded tyres are thus automatically illegal, but not so: depends on their use. If road has sufficient snow/ice so that the studs cannot damage the road no problem and would happily invite any Plod who says otherwise to see me in court. (Note that is Studded tyres, not Spiked!)

Same applies with snow chains so if road is clear or only thinly coated then they have come off, which means they are in reality a PITA for anything other than churning along heavily covered roads

Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you suggest replacing all 4 wheels, or just the rear (driven) pair?

I've been using winter tyres on just the rear (driven) wheels and have had no problems...sure it is better to have winter tyres on all 4 corners, but as long as I don't drive like and idiot, I can get around with ease....in fact until 2 days ago I had a very worn pair of Pirelli P6000 on the front and still had no problems...now replaced with brand new Falken FK452s.

I was considering buying some of the Auto Socks or the new Michellin "chains" for when I get the E350. No use for the current snow but handy for next winter.

Any how, imagine my disappointment to discover that the E350 Sport has 265/35/18 tyress on the rear and both these products stop at 255!

Try Nokian Hakkapelitta R tyres !

Anyone ever used snow chains in this country? Thinking of buying some tomorrow.I'm finding it hard work trying to back up my drive and leaving the estate.
The snow is heading south.
As the title says :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom