Snow Driving Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talltimtam

Anyone got any good driving tips for snow ???

I live at the bottom of a small hill and my W211 will not get to the top of it unless the snow/ice has been cleared and there is a good coating of grit taken from the big yellow box on the side of the road sprinkled onto the tarmac.

Not wishing to sound sarcastic, but a different car.

RWD, wide summer tyres, little weight over driven wheels, etc make progress difficult in bad weather.

I have the same problem with my C-Class, and so I used Mrs D's ML today which made a world a difference.

If you have to use the E-Class, Autosocks or winter tyres might be a sound investment.

Sprinkling some sand or rock salt ahead of the wheels would be a start, but may not be practical depending upon the distance to be travelled.

To her...she had to walk...

The way I see it, Junior D can walk, and Baby D can be pushed.

I have to carry my laptop...

;)

Definately invest in winter tyres.

They do work. I can now get in and out of the car park at my office without the help of a tow truck :eek:

Drop the tyre pressure - I was stuck in my 2.46 ton W220 in my open car park at 6am yesterday morning. Dropping the tyre pressure from 39psi (high speed / high load setting) gradually down to 10 psi eventually got me out without any help.

You'll have to increase the pressure once you leave the icy road though - I have an air compressor in the boot just in case.

I have currently got a few bags of sand and gravel in the boot of my car, without them i would never get up my hill.
Wife has just come in she cant get her c class up the hill:D

Lynall

I got snow tyres fitted to the rear of my E300TD last time we had snow.
Without them the car was pretty-hopeless on snow and ice.
Frighteningly-so !!

It made a world of difference - Positive improvement.

Two minor problems ...
1. On dry roads, the handling is quite markedly-different due to the back of the car steering the whole car.
2. The cruise-control no longer works - Probably due to slight difference in wheel-diameter front-to-back.

I'll probably take them off around the end of the month (and get my scruffy alloys blasted and refinished at the same time).
I'll let you know if it cures the cruise problem.
Cheers All
Johnsco

Get salt from a salt bin and put that on the road

Don't see many of those around here any more. Come to think of it I have not seen any for a few years now. Council cutbacks I suppose.:mad:

Best way of driving in snow is (we get to learn this when passing our driving test in Sweden):

1. In manual car, use high gear (ie 2nd or 3rd) and take of slowly "ride on the clutch". Not too much gas.

2. Extra long distance to next car. Don't forget it takes a long time to stop and accelerate.

3. Don't drive unless have to.

4. In automatic cars, use Winter mode if available.

5. In extremley light car with RWD, put two 25 kgs sand bags in boot (no joking - helped me in my Sierra!).

6. Stay at home.

7. Buy a Volvo that will just plow through like nothing.

No 7. are NOT taught in driving school.

My tip, find a quiet wide open space, stop. Select D, or "1". Boot it :D :D, and have a laugh ;). See how sideways you can get it.

Try with ESP off and on, and you'll see how good the system really is.

Drop the tyre pressure - I was stuck in my 2.46 ton W220

How many bodies are you carrying round in the boot for it to weight 2460kg? The kerb weight is about 1945kg.

Best way of driving in snow is (we get to learn this when passing our driving test in Sweden):

1. In manual car, use high gear (ie 2nd or 3rd) and take of slowly "ride on the clutch". Not too much gas.

2. Extra long distance to next car. Don't forget it takes a long time to stop and accelerate.

3. Don't drive unless have to.

4. In automatic cars, use Winter mode if available.

5. In extremley light car with RWD, put two 25 kgs sand bags in boot (no joking - helped me in my Sierra!).

6. Stay at home.

7. Buy a Volvo that will just plow through like nothing.

No 7. are NOT taught in driving school.

I helped push a Volvo up the hill this morning :D

He offered to give me a push after, but I said there really isn't any point, I'll try again in the morning but not holding much luck.

RWD, wide summer tyres, little weight over driven wheels, etc make progress difficult in bad weather.

On the subject of weight distribution I seem to recall that W211s are within 5 points of 50/50 across the range - hence some having front and some having rear batteries. Can't remember where I read it.

Last edited:
As much as I love my Merc, I didnt realise until tonight just how utterly useless they are on packed snow and ice.
I couldnt even get out my drive without skidding and going sideways.
Changed my mind and eventually got it back in. And there it will stay until its all gone.

I had an X Trail before the MB & loved the fact that it would never get stuck in snow or ice. Braking or steering on ice or snow was just like any other car though.

Buying the CLK, I knew winter would be a problem, so got spare wheels & winter tyres.

Not only does the CLK not get stuck on snow or ice, it also brakes & steers without any drama. A good example of how front, rear or 4WD are less important than having the right tyres on for winter.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom