Snow Foam - waste of time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinF

Car
E saloon
I bought CYC's Super Snow Foam and foam lance a few years ago and have used them irregularly since.

Doing the particularly dirty family VW today I broke out the lance and foam - and was struck by what a complete waste of time and money it is. After a pressure wash, a good coat of foam left for 10 minutes or so removed zero extra dirt; what film remained succumbed to the woolly mitten and good old Turtle wax shampoo.

Given the apparent popularity of foam, I am clearly doing something wrong - and this is clearly the place to ask nicely what that *wrong* is.

Your guidance, gentlemen, would be appreciated!

I'm interested in any knowledgable replies, was thinking of investing in the snow foam route.

It's like many things in life in that some work and some don't. I have had good results with one Chemical Guys foam but excellent results with their No Touch Snowfoam; foam, rest, blast, result= clean car. There are several very good ones out there but some have an optimal mix, I think. Next time, experiment with the ratio of foam to water (by using the mixture knob) and do panels or sections with different mixes to test.

I contemplated snow foam a while ago, but decided it added another messy process to an already long job (if you're washing your car properly).

In my case I'd be rinsing it into the gutter and off down the road - I think my neighbours wouldn't be happy - particularly the chair of the local nature reserve who lives next door :crazy:.

My experience is that it works well with the right foam, and if the car has been really well waxed and sealed. The point is that it is a really gentle way of removing some of the dirt, in recent experience it almost works on its own with a rinse afterwards as a quick clean.

I purchased a new Nilfisk pressure washer with the foam lance when I got my new toy. I bought some of the Valet Pro foam and I have to agree it has been a complete waste of money and does nothing like what it is supposed to do.

It may be the cheapo lance or the product itself but it my car looks naff all like some of the giant snowballs you see on Youtube.

Kenny

I brought the "demon shine" one, it's worse than the 5 quid wash and wax I normally use, and the "snow foam" was about a grand for a litre.
I don't see the point in it? It genuinely leaves the car looking dull, water doesn't bead up and run off, and its more work than soap and a bucket.

I only use snow foam occasionally, depending on how dirty the car is.

Last week I snow foamed the Merc and decided to treat the sorry looking Connect van which normally just gets a halfhearted swill with the C class's dirty bath water. As the connect gets hurled up and down the motorway day in day out, the resulting grime that sticks to it is a right pain to scrub off. I found that having a dose of the snow foam soaking on it for 15 mins or so made a remarkable difference. The following wash over with elcheapo shampoo released the dirt with very little effort.

I think I preferred it as a dirty grey colour. Not much fun being a white van man.

I have a basic Nilfisk but with a proper snow foam Lance not the carp that came with the washer.

I get very good foam but in my experience unless the car is really well waxed or sealed the results disappoint.

I have a basic Nilfisk but with a proper snow foam Lance not the carp that came with the washer.

I get very good foam but in my experience unless the car is really well waxed or sealed the results disappoint.

plus one - this....;)

My experience is that it works well with the right foam, and if the car has been really well waxed and sealed. The point is that it is a really gentle way of removing some of the dirt, in recent experience it almost works on its own with a rinse afterwards as a quick clean.

and plus 1 ...this ;)

ATB

Many thanks to all for these for these responses.

Anyone want a CYC foam lance and a third of a container of Super Snow Foam?

Seriously. Life's too short.

KevinF said:
Many thanks to all for these for these responses. Anyone want a CYC foam lance and a third of a container of Super Snow Foam? Seriously. Life's too short.
I know your pain, I just brought a "qualcast" jet wash as you can fill the hole body of the washer with fluid to spray your car, useless. Might try fence paint or something, this "snow foam" is useless

Many thanks to all for these for these responses.

Anyone want a CYC foam lance and a third of a container of Super Snow Foam?

Seriously. Life's too short.

Yes please to the gun, no thanks to the foam. And would you post to Essex for appropriate remuneration? Kevin. :devil:

Snow foam is simply a pre-wash to loosen the dirt and get the worst of it off before starting with a wash mit.

You're not supposed to rely on snow foam alone.

I ran out of actual snow foam to put in the bottle attachment a couple of weeks ago so for experimental purposes chucked in a quarter of a bottle of tesco regular car shampoo that was lying around, quid a bottle stuff.

Amazingly the car went from being pretty salty to almost perfectly clean without me even laying the wash mitt on the car. Just a pressure wash with the shampoo, a few mins sitting then a rinse.

Snow Foam.

Snow foam is simply a pre-wash to loosen the dirt and get the worst of it off before starting with a wash mit.

You're not supposed to rely on snow foam alone.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, plenty of car owners have seen Snow Foam as the holy grail of avoiding getting their hands cold and wet, only to be disappointed. Snow Foam isn't a one-stop makeover for the car that's only washed every few months but if it's used regularly before the real wash, it can creep in to all the hard -to-access places and loosen the grime. Agitating the Snow Foam in the recesses with a soft bristled brush always helps as well, and it can work wonders under the bonnet. There probably are cheaper products that don't work as well but I use a good Snow Foam before every wash and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Derek.

You dont mention if you wax the family VW regularly?, waxing the paintwork often will help build up a barrier and stop the road crud from getting a strong hold on the paint.
If you havnt washed the car in weeks, you may have to pre-rinse and foam x 2 to break down the road film thats built up, have you got access to hot water?, using hot / warm water is 100% better than cold?
My Kranzle will pull from a large bucket of hot water, so for baked on crud I pre rinse first using this method.
Try using a good " all purpose cleaner" first, dilute its strength and foam through the lance as normal, ok you will definitely have to wax afterwards, but whats better, having paint with swirls in it because you havnt removed the dirt, or extra time waxing?
There are loads of foaming lances and snowfoams available, I have always used an " Autobrite" snowfoam lance, and I like " Valet Pro " snowfoams etc.

It does work if used in the right dilution ratio

I also pre soak the wheels and door bottoms
With a stronger mix using autosmart active xl
I love the wax rinse after washing gives a nice finish and easy drying .

Attachments

• image-2249952128.jpg
    image-2249952128.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image-1643592104.jpg
    image-1643592104.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image-2473377977.jpg
    image-2473377977.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back