Snow question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

With snow in the forecast, I was pondering which will be better in the snow a mid engined sports car on winter tyres or a 4x4 on summer tyres?

Based on general road use.

Tan

Hi

With snow in the forecast, I was pondering which will be better in the snow a mid engined sports car on winter tyres or a 4x4 on summer tyres?

Tan

Anything on winters will be better than anything on summers.

I had my CLK500 on winters fly past 4x4's stuck in snow.

Mid Engined sports car on winter tyres.

My friend has a 911 on winter tyres and on snow it is like driving in rain. Amazing!!

There is quite a good video Auto Express did of driving different (2wd and 4wd) versions of the same car up a ski slope on winter and summer tyres. Bit of an eye opener for the 4wd owners.

Anything on winter tyres.

After being a passenger in a car on winter tyres in thick snow in Switzerland, I was amazed at the roadholding and grip they give.
Fortunately, snow is very rare in my part of the UK, but if it arrives, the E55 will stay at home.

Winter tyres trump smug sense of 4x4 invincibility, as maths suddenly reminds you that 4 times nothing is exactly the same as 2 times nothing.

Last edited:
There's another video somewhere of something like a Subaru (on summers) versus something like a BMW (great reputation for spinning wheels in the snow) on winters. - From a standing start the BMW wins hands down.

Having said all that, an AWD car on summers beats a 2WD car on summers. - The Nissan flies past people as long as one or more wheels can find grip... but on ice there's no traction for any wheel which results in broken wheels when you hit a curb.

Last edited:
I have had many 4x4s,
And the difference when you put winter or snow or mud tires on them is massive,

The wife has winter tires on her c class saloon, work great till she reached snow deeper then the chassis, then it's snow chain time.

This is the ABI statement on the matter

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/File...nter tyres The motor insurance commitment.pdf

If the tyres are within spec for the car, I don't see why they insist on being informed except as an excuse to extort more money from customers. They don't ask you what make/model tyres are fitted, after all.

If you've gone to the trouble to fit winter tyres they think you'll be driving a lot more in dangerous conditions and you'll crash and kill bus full of school children, so yes just another excuse to bleed us dry.

I've owned some pretty decent 4x4's in my time including a Unimog. I ran winter rated tyres on them all as they were often out in testing conditions on callouts in Scotland. At the moment I have a Touareg. Superb vehicle and very capable off-road although I have it mainly for towing a heavy trailer. It is currently fitted with road tyres (the 1st time I've done this with a 4x4) and it handles well for a big lump. However, if it snows heavily I'll be taking Mrs camerfodder's Toyota IQ as it has nicely siped tyres on it. The VW will be staying put. As others have said, its all about tyres.

With a mid engined car I would be very careful regardless of tyres fitted. I've been in one that did a spin at low speed in light snow on a straight road. I would add some weight to the front with a sack of something heavy stuffed into the front well if there is the space - and I'd possibly leave any rear overhanging boot empty.

I'd go with the 4x4 as long as the normal tyres had some decent tread.

I think people are under the illusion that winter tyres work miracles in snow. IMO for the main part they are simply making up for the fact that these days we have wide low profile tyres on the car in the first place - and that modern cars are heavy and have higher low down power delivery and braking systems that are naturally less gentle than the cars of yesteryear.

The apocryphal stories of 4x4 cars failing in winter conditions are as much down to the style over substance and lack of driver technique as anything else.

I had my W211 out in poor conditions in several winters - it had boring wheels and tyres - and I had plenty of tread - and it was a petrol slug that meant power delivery was gentle - and I drove to the conditions - and kept the fuel tank topped up and sometimes asked my front passenger to sit in the back.

And yes I encountered 4x4s on occasion that seemed to struggle more - either on silly wheels and tyres or with a cluelessly heavy footed driver.

Last edited:
Summer tyres on the E350, but I am retired so if I'm required to go out in the snow I will be using the wife's Aygo.

But mostly I will be staying at home in the warm.

I did go out a couple of years ago when I had the E300 Hybrid in the snow and ice, it was very scary, never again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

However, if it snows heavily I'll be taking Mrs camerfodder's Toyota IQ as it has nicely siped tyres on it. The VW will be staying put. As others have said, its all about tyres.

Sipes aren't about snow grip but allowing the tyre to have a more flexible contact area - to deal with cold and wet roads.

A relative with a RR normally takes out his old Ford Fusion in bad conditions as it is smaller, lighter, and manual.

I suspect that it's also more expendable :devil:

From personal experience SLK + snow + summer tyres = leave it in the garage. On winter tyres it will go anywhere providing its not bogging down in deep snow

Sipes aren't about snow grip but allowing the tyre to have a more flexible contact area - to deal with cold and wet roads.
I know. The sipes are also there for when the snow gets packed, a bit like a Gecko's feet (not ideal analogy but best I could think of). I won't take a car out in a Colorado winter without them. Big tread pattern + sipes gives you your best chance. Beyond those its studs (not practical in UK or Colorado for that matter) or chains. I have a set of Pewag Austro Supers which are my final line of defence.

Last edited:

With respect, this is self contradictory. Sipes create a multitude of edges and corners to bite into the surface, which is exactly what gives you grip in packed snow (which is what you get the moment you drive over it)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom