Snow tyres 95V or 95H ? is this the speed rating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Looking at some Goodyear snow tyres for my original alloys on an E class estate. What do these numbers mean.

95V or 95H

Thanks

My current tyres on my Summer rims are

265/35/18 97Y

Can you mix H and V rating and will 95 load be ok on a S211 E320Cdi Estate??

They are only for winter and I will not be doing more than 80mph

Hi,Kwikfit have an offer on...25% OFF ANY TYRE, INCLUDING WINTER TYRES..

Mixing V & H would be fine on a winter tyre. I'd stick with the correct load rating for your car though.

For a heavy estate, Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes come in XL load ratings, brilliant tyres.

Russ

Do I need xl then?

97 on my current wheels but 95 on the tyres I have seen (Goodyear) would that make much difference?

I don't understand what 95 or 97 means?

Thanks again

Try your owners handbook or the online manual which normally lists recommended winter tyres/wheel combinations for your car. Its normal to find (a) a reduction in wheel diameter of an inch 18-17 or 17-16 [ Sports models with uprated front brake discs and callipers may be an exception?](b) slightly narrower rim size- especially models with staggered wheels- tend to go for the narrower front wheel size all round and (c) a reduction in speed rating of one step W/Y/Z- to V or V to H or T

If I go for winter tyres my idea was to use the 16" alloys my car originally came with.

They have I think 225/55/16 all round? standard avant gard alloys on a S211 at the time.

If the 95 load will suit for winter I will look into this.

thanks for the link

Currently the tyres on it say 97 which is 730kg each wheel weight.

using 95 'weight' will mean this is 690kg per tyre.

Given this will be used for 2 adults and 2 children / luggage that still sounds a lot.

I will find my handbook and have a look.

I've just fitted 16" Nokians onto an old set of alloys for the winter. The added bonus is the ride is much softer than on the 17's".

Now I'm confused the original alloys have tyres on which ate 225/55/16 and weight number is 95w

My 18" alloys currently have a weight of 97Y

So the handbook and original alloys state 95W

From that I assume they will be fine. For what ever reason the wider larger 18" have a higher load weight?

Because wider lower profile tyres are usually fitted to high performance cars it follows that they would manufactured and thus rated with a higher loading in mind. Probably reflects your car is "over tired" with 18 inch wheels in terms of their load characteristics.

You can use 95. You can't use less than 95, but you can (as you are) use higher than 95.

The handbook was a good place to start.:)

I don't think the current 18" are over tyred?

They were an option in the Mercedes Brochure for this model of car.

I'm happy though for the 16" rims I have I could change the tyres to 95W and all would be good,

Thanks people

I don't think the current 18" are over tyred?

They were an option in the Mercedes Brochure for this model of car.

I'm happy though for the 16" rims I have I could change the tyres to 95W and all would be good,

Thanks people

I'm sorry my post was not intended to comment on whether it was desirable to have 18" low profile tyres on wide rims. They may well improve the look of the car and its handling. :thumb: What I meant was it wasn't necessary in terms of the car's load or performance characteristics. Hence the fact you can safely " downrate" without exceeding the safe loading.:dk:

^ No problem

Thats why I searched for Original Mercedes Alloys.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom