So… the last couple weeks I have been driving a Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FEB2-B6-A9-0885-4-DF0-A256-6813431-C8-BFF.jpg

So here’s the new addition to my car collection…

Absolutely love it! I know a lot complain about the build quality but I have been very happy and it feels absolutely great to drive… the supercharger network has meant long trips have been very convenient… the acceleration is great as is the range (around 200 miles on the motorway before a 30-40 min supercharge)… to put that into perspective it’s around 3.5hrs driving before a 30 mins break!

My V8 Jaguar XFR is now sold… (sadly) but we still have both MB’s (the 212 and 211!) I don’t think I’ll ever sell them as the amount I’ve spent on them is too high!

Will update this thread as I progress in electric vehicle ownership!
Love it! Congratulations 🙌🏻🙌🏻

It's funny... as I looked at the first picture I thought the Tesla looked a bit like an XF/XJ lovechild. Then I spotted the white car!

I’ve got used to the iPad controls, and the system doesn’t feel slow etc at all. It’s also possible to have an MCU2 upgrade done officially via Tesla on pre-2018 Model S/X for around £1.4k which replaces both internal screens & the processor etc to the latest revision which apparently makes it feel like a new car…I’ll probably get this done eventually. Sounds expensive but how much is a new COMAND unit and Speedo screen fitted at MB?! 😀

I had my CL speedo screen replaced under warranty by MB.

CS adviser told me it would have been £2k + labour.

A10063-F1-0-D95-4-FE2-98-DA-8464-C6315697.jpg

I cannot believe it’s been almost 3 months since I made the switch to electric!

Since doing so I have driven a diesel vehicle only 2 times 😱

Absolutely loving it. The photo above (excuse the dirty car) is from a trip from E.Midlands>Norfolk>London>E.Midlands. It involved 1 stop for 45 min where we went and got some food…

Autopilot makes long journeys eeeeeeasy too.

The acceleration is still mind boggling too 🤣

A10063-F1-0-D95-4-FE2-98-DA-8464-C6315697.jpg

I cannot believe it’s been almost 3 months since I made the switch to electric!

Since doing so I have driven a diesel vehicle only 2 times 😱

Absolutely loving it. The photo above (excuse the dirty car) is from a trip from E.Midlands>Norfolk>London>E.Midlands. It involved 1 stop for 45 min where we went and got some food…

Autopilot makes long journeys eeeeeeasy too.

The acceleration is still mind boggling too 🤣
Handsome car 👍🏻

But the jag had its own built in supercharger, now you have to drive around to find 1 :D

So here’s the new addition to my car collection…

Absolutely love it! I know a lot complain about the build quality but I have been very happy and it feels absolutely great to drive… the supercharger network has meant long trips have been very convenient… the acceleration is great as is the range (around 200 miles on the motorway before a 30-40 min supercharge)… to put that into perspective it’s around 3.5hrs driving before a 30 mins break!

My V8 Jaguar XFR is now sold… (sadly) but we still have both MB’s (the 212 and 211!) I don’t think I’ll ever sell them as the amount I’ve spent on them is too high!

Will update this thread as I progress in electric vehicle ownership!
What speed do you cruise at, though? I've seen Teslas on the motorway fairly often recently, but very rarely in the right-hand lane...

What speed do you cruise at, though? I've seen Teslas on the motorway fairly often recently, but very rarely in the right-hand lane...
70mph

We know that at higher speeds, most of the power required goes into overcoming drag, and since drag is proportional to the square of speed, then the power needed to overcome that drag is proportional to the cube of speed (P ∝ v3). If you want to go twice as fast as a given speed, you need eight times the power to overcome drag at the doubled speed. My maths is not up to calculating the proportionately increased power, and therefore reduced range, required to cruise at, say, 85 as compared to 70 mph. Is there anyone on here that would care to do so?

(Yes, I realise it's not quite as simple as that, but it should be possible to come up with a ballpark figure).

My maths is not up to calculating the proportionately increased power, and therefore reduced range, required to cruise at, say, 85 as compared to 70 mph. Is there anyone on here that would care to do so?

I guessed the weight, drag coefficient and frontal area for a Tesla and used an online calculator which came up with a 61 percent increase in power to cruise at 85 mph vs 70 mph.

I would think that unlike an IC engine which gets more efficient with load in terms of specific fuel consumption per hp produced such that MPG doesn't drop by the whole 61 %, an EV would translate directly to 61% reduction in range.

Calculate HP For Speed

So that would make the usable range cruising at 85 mph probably less than 150 miles? That's pretty sh!te, really, and explains why you don't often see them in the fast lane (where I usually am) keeping up with the traffic at, erm, more than 70 mph, but not quite enough more to attract the attention of the boys in blue.

Battery technology hasn't got there yet, and I don't think I'm quite mature enough to buy a Tesla yet either. Maybe when I'm all growed up at 82, not 72...

Last edited:
My maths is not up to calculating the proportionately increased power, and therefore reduced range, required to cruise at, say, 85 as compared to 70 mph. Is there anyone on here that would care to do so?
For a Tesla Model S P85:
• 70 mph requires 27 kW (or 37 PS)
• 85 mph requires 39 kW (or 53 PS)
• Therefore 21% increase in speed requires 43% increase in power.

This is calculated based upon the following data and assumptions from various Internet sources.

Transmission losses12%
Engine power (at the flywheel)416
Vehicle track1.69
Vehicle height1.431
Vehicle mass (weight) (kg)2170
Drag coefficient0.24
Air density1.202
Headwind speed0
Gradient angle0
Rolling resistance coefficient (tarmac)0.025
Speedo inaccuracy (reads low)6.7%
Engine power (at the wheels)366
Engine power (at the wheels)273
Maximum vehicle cross section2.34
Gradient angle0

So that would make the usable range cruising at 85 mph probably less than 150 miles? That's pretty sh!te, really, and explains why you don't often see them in the fast lane (where I usually am) keeping up with the traffic at, erm, more than 70 mph, but not quite enough more to attract the attention of the boys in blue.

Battery technology hasn't got there yet, and I don't think I'm quite mature enough to buy a Tesla yet either. Maybe when I'm all growed up at 82, not 72...
Sorry I should have said, if you abide by the speed limit you only need to charge after 3.5hrs of motorway driving.

It’s an interesting point this.

I chuckle at all the proud EV comments about acceleration when I compare them to what I actually see happening on the roads of Surrey and Hampshire.

EV drivers visibly stick to speed limits and generally don’t (in any way) floor it from the lights. That’s left to the kid in the Astra van or the thirty year old in the Audi.

Now, this is a “Good Thing” and highlights that “with great power comes Responsibility,” but it is a challenge to the motoring journalist rhetoric about what’s important in a car spec.

Maybe this is an important part of the path to CO2 reduction? Buying cars that are built to be driven the way we actually drive them?

It’s an interesting point this.

I chuckle at all the proud EV comments about acceleration when I compare them to what I actually see happening on the roads of Surrey and Hampshire.

EV drivers visibly stick to speed limits and generally don’t (in any way) floor it from the lights. That’s left to the kid in the Astra van or the thirty year old in the Audi.

Now, this is a “Good Thing” and highlights that “with great power comes Responsibility,” but it is a challenge to the motoring journalist rhetoric about what’s important in a car spec.

Maybe this is an important part of the path to CO2 reduction? Buying cars that are built to be driven the way we actually drive them?

Is the same not true for any quick car, whether EV or ICE? Just as I don’t see Tesla drivers accelerating with their foot to the floor from the traffic lights, I don’t see quick ICE drivers doing it either.

The vast majority of members have cars which have the potential to accelerate much more quickly than they choose too in every day driving, and the same is true for too speed - potential far exceeds reality.

All true, but it would appear that if you want decent range while 'making progress' (reasonably; nothing stupid...), not just a Tesla, but any battery car, is not the car to buy; the tech isn't quite there. It will be, no doubt, but it isn't yet.

Is the same not true for any quick car, whether EV or ICE? Just as I don’t see Tesla drivers accelerating with their foot to the floor from the traffic lights, I don’t see quick ICE drivers doing it either.

Agreed, that Ferrari is usually doing 50 or 70 too.

My point was that, in general, particularly the Tesla S and the Nissan Leaf are likely to be rolling along at the speed limit, although reviewers go on about their acceleration, while ordinary ICE’s whizz pass. (Thinking more like the E220 than the E63)

I of course, steadily slipstream behind the Tesla at a steady 45mpg

Agreed, that Ferrari is usually doing 50 or 70 too.

My point was that, in general, particularly the Tesla S and the Nissan Leaf are likely to be rolling along at the speed limit, although reviewers go on about their acceleration, while ordinary ICE’s whizz pass. (Thinking more like the E220 than the E63)

I of course, steadily slipstream behind the Tesla at a steady 45mpg

Is it not the case with most cars that the novelty wears off eventually? When I borrowed my bosses EQC last year, once I burned a few reps off the lights I was done with the acceleration thing. Is that not the same in an ICE car?

??

This issue with EV range at higher speeds explains why drag coefficient is so important. MB has a long history of paying attention to drag coefficient and you wonder how low it can go. How does a Cd of 0.18 sound and a range of 620 miles. It suggests great lumbering SUV's are not the ideal candidate for electrification.

New Mercedes-Benz Vision EQXX is hyper-efficient EV saloon | Autocar

Is it not the case with most cars that the novelty wears off eventually? When I borrowed my bosses EQC last year, once I burned a few reps off the lights I was done with the acceleration thing. Is that not the same in an ICE car?

??
Certainly true that the initial testing wears off

I’m just saying that IMHO, on the A3 and M25, the EV’s seem disproportionately cautious, and speed limit aware.

Which is obviously a Good Thing.

But maybe challenges why the Journos enphasise acceleration in BEV reviews.

My colleague with his EQC was saying yesterday that he has actually slowed down his driving - as it's that comfortable and smooth to drive. But then again he doesn't have charging capability at home and is at the mercy of the public chargers.

If you have the ability to charge at home, and have sufficient capacity in the range to "boot it", you would, wouldn't you. Well I would and will when I get my EQC next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom