So… the last couple weeks I have been driving a Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My colleague with his EQC was saying yesterday that he has actually slowed down his driving - as it's that comfortable and smooth to drive.
I can imagine that being the case. The more luxurious the car, the slower I drive. The faster the car, the slower I drive.

All true, but it would appear that if you want decent range while 'making progress' (reasonably; nothing stupid...), not just a Tesla, but any battery car, is not the car to buy; the tech isn't quite there. It will be, no doubt, but it isn't yet.

EVs are not made for German autobahns, that's for sure. They are just about OK on UK motorways.

My colleague with his EQC was saying yesterday that he has actually slowed down his driving - as it's that comfortable and smooth to drive. But then again he doesn't have charging capability at home and is at the mercy of the public chargers.
I'd agree with that.

I got my EV in September, and I've never once driven it in anger. I know it will fly like a rocket at the lights, but I've never tried that. The car is quiet, comfortable, smooth... when I'm driving it, I'm thinking of a 747 captain guiding the plane to a soft landing, not of a Euifighter pilot flying low through the valleys in the Alps..... :D

I got my EV in September, and I've never once driven it in anger. I know it will fly like a rocket at the lights, but I've never tried that. The car is quiet, comfortable, smooth... when I'm driving it, I'm thinking of a 747 captain guiding the plane to a soft landing, not of a Euifighter pilot flying low through the valleys in the Alps....

While I can understand the role that Tesla played making EV's desirable through outrageous performance, the mainstream EVs will be driven mostly as you describe - smoothly and comfortably not least to maximise range. But where are the EV's that only do smooth and comfortable. Any EV with more performance than you need is burdened with the extra weight that high performance entails and weight reduces range. I hear people saying that cars are becoming white goods used for getting from A to B but I see hardly any EV's designed to fulfill that roll. I think it's because EV's are still so expensive that the manufactures feel the need to justify the high price by providing high performance which then lowers the range. As we have seen a car only needs 30 odd HP to cruise at 70 MPH and they are so fast off the line that 100 HP should be more than enough for a white goods A to B vehicle, yet they don't seem to exist. Maybe in time they will.

I can imagine that being the case. The more luxurious the car, the slower I drive. The faster the car, the slower I drive.
I find the exact opposite. That's why I sold the CLS 63...

The SLK, with nigh on 200 bhp less, is quick, but manageable.

I think I should add this:

I love my Tesla BUT I do see what people mean when they say EVs have no soul.

When I drove my Jaguar XFR, every journey was like a concert. Full of drama as the V8 roared into life, letting of the accelerator and the pops and burble was sublime. It just felt ‘special’.

My feeling with my Tesla is similar to an appliance at home, it works superbly well, does what it’s supposed to etc.

Despite being fast, is it fun? Hmmm

I don’t know… the V8 was just too good 😍🤣

I don’t think EVs will ever be able to replace V8s in our hearts as petrolheads but they are a necessity unfortunately.

I’m still considering selling both Merc diesels and getting a V8 as a second car.. TBH I regret selling the XFR, I should have sold both my diesels and kept the Jag… no point having a diesel now I have the EV for economy.

Anyway… off to look for a V8 addition 😂🤦‍♂️

I think I should add this:

I love my Tesla BUT I do see what people mean when they say EVs have no soul.

When I drove my Jaguar XFR, every journey was like a concert. Full of drama as the V8 roared into life, letting of the accelerator and the pops and burble was sublime. It just felt ‘special’.

My feeling with my Tesla is similar to an appliance at home, it works superbly well, does what it’s supposed to etc.

Despite being fast, is it fun? Hmmm

I don’t know… the V8 was just too good 😍🤣

I don’t think EVs will ever be able to replace V8s in our hearts as petrolheads but they are a necessity unfortunately.

I’m still considering selling both Merc diesels and getting a V8 as a second car.. TBH I regret selling the XFR, I should have sold both my diesels and kept the Jag… no point having a diesel now I have the EV for economy.

Anyway… off to look for a V8 addition 😂🤦‍♂️
Maybe if EV manufacturers started introducing synthesised V8 sounds into the cabins (as cringe-inducing as that maybe to some & I know some manufacturers already do it with their IC and hybrid cars)?

Last edited:
V8 vacuum cleaner sound track? 😂

Continuing on the theme of engine noise, we had our twin 5 year old grandsons for a visit today. When they see my old motorcycle in the garage they always want to have a go on it and a pretend they are riding. There they sit happy as larry swinging the handlebars from side to side, twisting the throttle and making Brmmm...Brmmm noises.

What's childhood going to be like in the EV era when there are no motorcycles to imitate by going Brmmm....Brmmm.

Not sure how I missed this thread but (belated) congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom