So, a W211 E500...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would tweak the exhaust to gain a subtle burble and enjoy it for what it is. Relaxing cruiser with a smooth V8. They don't make cars like that any more.

From the 2007 Sales literature: the simplest way to zhuzh up a 385bhp (sic) Avantgarde is to swop wheels, and maybe put it a noisier exhaust. (Same as for any Mercedes V8 really)

Remember that the 385bhp does give you 0-62 in 5.2 as well as 28 mpg

IMG_0877.jpegIMG_0876.jpegIMG_0873.jpegIMG_0874.jpegIMG_0875.jpeg

Last edited:
I infer from this, that the 'exhaust' upgrade with the AMG Sports Package, extends to chrome tail pipe tips, rather than an upgraded system.

I don't get this 'noisier is better", for some value of better. A chavved up Corsa is very noisy, a W211 E500 isn't. I know which I'd prefer.

Thanks - this must have been standard for the facelift, I assume as the early versions didn't have 18" options iirc, nor 'sport' designations.

In my view, the 18" ten spoke are the most handsome on the 211:

View attachment 97974

though I haven't opted for 18" as I am aware of too many examples of them cracking. I wouldn't want to take the risk nor diminish the comfort of 17"s for the aesthetics.
These look like a PITA to clean. 40 spokes every wash - no thanks! :)

Been there, done that with the classic 15-holes on W201/124s etc - although there wasn’t quite as much to clean on those.

Been there, done that with the classic 15-holes on W201/124s etc - although there wasn’t quite as much to clean on those.

That would be an ecumenical matter

Amen to that.... this is an issue that runs and runs. They look great when new, but need weekly maintenance, cleaning and regular recoating to keep them looking crisp. But, like the wheel size issue, it's all a matter of personal taste. Each to their own.

I don't get this 'noisier is better", for some value of better. A chavved up Corsa is very noisy, a W211 E500 isn't. I know which I'd prefer.
V8's make music, not noise!

I mostly agree but a total lack of exhaust note would be a waste considering what we fork out for fuel IMO. A nice subtle burble on acceleration without annoying drone is what I would aim for, easily achievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom