So, AMG owners, how’s your Fuel Consumption?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve got a tracker which also monitors my driving, think it must be set for a smart as it doesn’t take much to claim excessive acceleration 🙀 But in my neck of the woods there just isn’t much opportunity to blast it often. But to be fair, I’ve almost got half decent economy out of most things I drive, without holding up traffic

The best I've had is just over 23mpg, and that's driving like a nun cos my elderly father was in the car on a 200 mile run!!! But usually, its around 18mpg

2500 miles into AMG GTS ownership and I’m averaging 23mpg. Tried to take advantage of a run where a decent chunk was on a 60mph limited motorway, was averaging 27. Mostly I drive like Miss Daisy with the occasional play, but you can’t drive a fast car quickly on the roads and expect to maintain a licence. Now looking for a smart roadster which I can probably drive flat out everywhere😂
Good luck with your search. My MR2 Roadster performs the same purpose. There are many facets to a having fun with a car and revving the nuts out of something lightweight with sharp handling is quite enjoyable even when there is not much power to hand.

As regards AMG mpg - I only expect to do modest annual mileage otherwise I would have got something more frugal (previous car was a S212 diesel), so I don't even look at the mpg!

Around town my wagon fluctuates between 11.2mpg to 12.2mpg and thats just feathering the loud pedal.

Good luck with your search. My MR2 Roadster performs the same purpose. There are many facets to a having fun with a car and revving the nuts out of something lightweight with sharp handling is quite enjoyable even when there is not much power to hand.

As regards AMG mpg - I only expect to do modest annual mileage otherwise I would have got something more frugal (previous car was a S212 diesel), so I don't even look at the mpg!
I’m greedy, have owned an S1 Elise for 5.5 years and counting, but it’s too impractical to use as more than a summer and track day toy. It hibernates every winter
current using an iQ as my daily, usually have something cheap and cheerful for work mileage so depreciation not really a factor. Also don’t really go with using too good a car for work or driving it becomes associated with going to work, not driving for pleasure. Will be looking at the project end of the smart roadster market so I don’t care if it puts on a few miles

Over 31 MPG with average speed sections on the motorway. Fun driving = <20 MPG. Very happy considering the performance available.

The family motor was not available for a trip up north so took the C63 estate. Clearly it was not been purchased for its economy, but I was surprised at this!

Attachments

• 5B61BFC2-45E6-47AD-82C1-9E117CE03998.jpeg
    5B61BFC2-45E6-47AD-82C1-9E117CE03998.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I’ve got a tracker which also monitors my driving, think it must be set for a smart as it doesn’t take much to claim excessive acceleration 🙀 But in my neck of the woods there just isn’t much opportunity to blast it often. But to be fair, I’ve almost got half decent economy out of most things I drive, without holding up traffic
Was it your insurance company that insisted that you have the tracker installed?

Most insurance companies now aren't really bothered if you have 1 or not it doesn't make your premiums less ( the 1s I I spoke to anyway) it's more piece of mind

Was it your insurance company that insisted that you have the tracker installed?
No, it was already there when I bought the car (used), insurance didn’t seem to give a single hoot. Not sure if I’d want it back if it got stolen anyway, but if It helps catch anyway, than fair enough

Bloody awful - and that is coming from a Bentley w12 driver.
:oops:

My CLS63 SB is not much worse compared to ML350 diesel… London roads and regular stop&go doesn’t help much with fuel efficiency irrespective of that car you drive.

Looking at some of these posts I think that the MPG is more than acceptable for the amount of GO available!.....even ignoring the unrealistically high ones and the silly low ones!! I'm hunting an 212 E63 ....I was going for the 6.2 and still would if the right one came along.....but having driven the 5.5 and ridden its massive wave of torque I'm very tempted......the noticeable improvement in mpg (both claimed by the makers and what I see online is another thing pushing me towards the TT)...... especially with fuel priced as it is now. Time will tell.

Looking at some of these posts I think that the MPG is more than acceptable for the amount of GO available!.....even ignoring the unrealistically high ones and the silly low ones!! I'm hunting an 212 E63 ....I was going for the 6.2 and still would if the right one came along.....but having driven the 5.5 and ridden its massive wave of torque I'm very tempted......the noticeable improvement in mpg (both claimed by the makers and what I see online is another thing pushing me towards the TT)...... especially with fuel priced as it is now. Time will tell.
You cannot go wrong with either.

I'm personally in favour of latter based on a bias that it is 'newer and more reliable' :)... as suggested, time will tell!

Happy search and keep us posted what you got in the end!

In my experience, both the M156 and M157 return the same fuel consumption when driven by the same driver, in similar conditions, in an equivalent platform, over an extended period.

That's surprising.....Mercedes said they were rather more efficient when they launched the 5.5TT (which would make sense and is exactly why we have all these smaller capacity turboed cars on the roads rather than the bigger bore NA cars of a few years back)....and the quoted combined MPG figures on a 212 E63 are 22.4 against 28.8.....a significant difference.

@ALFAitalia I believe Bobby's experience relates to both engines in an ML which is a bit of a heavy brick. Those with the E Class or similar models do report a notable increase in mpg with the 5.5 over the 6.2.

My old 900bhp CLS63 M157 could average well over 30mpg on a decent run with the speed average over 50mph. Not bad at all although I was never bothered about mpg…

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom