So, are you keeping the Benz for longer than you thought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Given the values of high powered cars are likely to fall in light of the clumsy tax system, will you be keeping hold of your car for longer?
I usually change my car every 3-4 years, but reckon I shall keep the ML for much longer now. Don't fancy taking the depreciation hit!! :eek:

When I bought the SL, I did so with a long keeping it view, yes its taken quite a hit on the value, but by keeping it that will not matter. I have had the V70R now for some 8 years, and that too can stay as its the cheapest option that I have.

The tax isn't really the issue for me (only an extra £200/yr or £17 month!), it's the £4,000 a year in petrol thats the killer and if I lose my petrol card benefit it's going to have to be sold or tucked away in the garage!!!

Next 'expensive' car I buy is going to be a diesel which I'll modify with a chip as its a good way of paying less tax whilst enjoying more power!

Edit - intrestingly does this tax issue mean that pre 2001 cars are going to enjoy a hike in demand?

mines an older model anyway...but plan to keep it and maintain it as she requires. Depreciation is such that I could spend thousands each year (which is not necessary) and still be ahead of the curve. add in the fact that I REALLY like the coupe and I see absolutely no reason to change.

EDIT

Should add i dont do many miles a year (even less when i start working from home) so prices at the epump, whilst shocking and a disgrace, will not deter me from using the vehicle i do.

Last edited:
I do not know how long mine will last, Plenty of rust and always the odd bit of interior falling off.

I am catching you up Malcolm with my posts, only 10,606 to go to catch you up.

GET SCARED MALCOLM

Next 'expensive' car I buy is going to be a diesel which I'll modify with a chip as its a good way of paying less tax whilst enjoying more power!

mmm, diesel prices are pretty high, but anything which looks like a loophole gets whacked with punitive retrospective taxation. LPG seemed like a good idea, then tax was applied to that too!

We normally change our vehicle every three years or so, but our latest one still ticks all the right boxes and at the moment there is nothing out there that is better. No outside influence will tell me what size engine I can, or cannot have and when we bought this vehicle I was sorely tempted to buy the AMG but my wife is the sole driver and the next time she exceeds a speed limit will be the first time. :eek: :eek:

Hopefully all this hype will go away and the world will become a more sensible place. Global warming, carbon footprints..............

Hottest summer since 1727 was....... and temperatures for the last few years have dropped, but never let the truth get in the way of media hype. Also there are dozens of oil wells in the North Sea that are capped. These wells have been drilled, they are full of oil, but are capped to maintain the price, nothing to do with shortage, or global warming.

Why should we listen to spin, hype, or plain lies? Oooops getting into rant mode :eek: :eek: :eek:

John

mmm, diesel prices are pretty high, but anything which looks like a loophole gets whacked with punitive retrospective taxation. LPG seemed like a good idea, then tax was applied to that too!

Only if you declare the ecu modification though, but it's a risky thing to keep quite about I guess.

Edit - intrestingly does this tax issue mean that pre 2001 cars are going to enjoy a hike in demand?

I hope so. ;)

In all seriousness, I think I'll be hanging on to my '00 CLK for the forseable future, if it was post '01, the tax would be much higher (250g/km CO2). I can't bring myself to 'downgrade' to a really slow car, and I'm getting pretty darned sick of lining that one eyed muppet's pockets. :mad:

Every car I've ever had was bought with the intention of getting 10 years from them, one or two I sold on at a slight profit, the rest all gave me at least the 10 years. My Merc 308 van recently went to a new home, she was a 1994, bought in 1996 sold in 2008, for me it makes good sense, but then I hate doing all the research needed to buy a new car :crazy:

Our C250 td is a 1997, bought in 1999, has 244k on it now and still drives better than many new cars, it cost us (I think) 15k if I get the 10 years, a very basic sum equals 30GBP/ week I'm happy paying that for such a good car.

If our 2004 E320cdi gives us 10 years (hopefully) 21k means 40GBP /week and I'm equally happy for such a top end car.

I do it this way because it suits my pocket, and I've got expensive tastes, but I still need you guys out there that can afford to change them at 2 - 4 years so don't hang on to them too long, as I remember one time it was very difficult to get cars at that age, they were either too young for my pocket or too old for my tastes at that time.

Cheers

:)

Last edited:
I was thinking about trading my SLK in for something a bit cheaper to tax, insure and run but all the things I'd really like to replace it with are quite expensive so I'm thinking of hanging on for another year and upgrading next summer maybe (should only really sell convertibles in spring or summer I guess).

Truth is, the SLK is more practical than you might think, with a fairly big boot and whilst there's only the two of us, it's fine. yes the tax is high and so is the fuel and insurance, but it would cost more to change.

as for what I'd change to.. hmm.. I'd want something that still has the capacity to overtake things whilst having some sense of economy. I was thinking about an e46 BMW 330Cd, or maybe a A3 tdi dsg or golf gti.

meh, dunno, I still want a 6 series/SL ;)

dave

I planned to keep my E class 3 years then it became 5, then 7 and now i reckon it will be 9 years old before i sell it.

For my needs its perfectly suited, quick but economical plenty of toys and a people mover when i need it to be but i wont be buying another MB after this one goes

I was looking at upgrading this year but have decided against it. I am happy with 40mpg on motorways. Use my wifes Polo around town now.

I bought the CE under the perhaps slightly silly impression that it would last me at least 10-15 years, becoming a classic in the process :rolleyes: :)

I still like the idea, and generally don't bother to change things for the sake of it - we'll see.

Ade

I'll be holding on to mine for a while - a number of reasons.
Firstly, daughter will have a license in a couple of years (hopefully) and although the tax/fuel question won't alter what I buy per se, I feel now might be a time to wait and see how things shake out - any unexpected nasties around the corner.

Regarding CO2 levels I would favour a car in a lower bracket if for example two makes are higher and one lower (it wouldn't be the only reason obviously). I can see this having an effect where new models steal an advantage because of newer more efficient engines.

Replacing my car now like for like would for example drop me two CO2 groups.
And save a bit of fuel and yes I have tried that argument on the wife :devil: .

Mike

Given the values of high powered cars are likely to fall in light of the clumsy tax system, will you be keeping hold of your car for longer?
I usually change my car every 3-4 years, but reckon I shall keep the ML for much longer now. Don't fancy taking the depreciation hit!! :eek:

I use a hire car for most of my business miles (about 8K last year) and keep my own car at under 10K a year.

With increased depreciation and fixed costs it makes less sense to protect the mileage on my own car. So I'll probably shift most of my business miles to my own car and look at independent servicing to offset the increased servicing costs.

The upside is that I really do appreciate the feeling of getting back to my car after a day in meetings when there's 100 to 200 miles to get home - as opposed to something like a Focus. Especially in the winter months.

I use a hire car for most of my business miles (about 8K last year) and keep my own car at under 10K a year.

I can't understand you doing this. The more miles you drive the cheaper the cost per mile becomes.

I can't understand you doing this. The more miles you drive the cheaper the cost per mile becomes.

Depends on how sensitive the depreciation is to mileage.

In my case I originally calculated that the car was sensitive to mileage (downside of being petrol) which meant that cost per mile didn't come down significantly.

My original plan was to own an E for four or five years on a costing that was similar to owning a new automatic Mondeo over the same time span. My original projections showed that the main cost difference was servicing as long as depreciation held up.

Now I'm assuming that the depreciation effect is larger (and less mileage sensitive as a result). On the face of it this is bad for people like me. But there is a silver lining for buyers as opposed to sellers, and in my case that would be a two year old S350, if only I could convice the wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom