So difficult!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

TitusD

It's proving stupid difficult to get a stereo fitted in my CLK! It's a Pioneer FHX730bt - nothing special but MY GOD getting it fitted is proving so difficult!!

Had a look in Halfords too - that gets silly too - an extra £70 to get a steering wheel wiring harness. Said don't bother but they're insisting I need it as the parking sensors run through the stereo!!

Anyone else had bother like this?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mercedes madness!
Why make an alternator easy to remove, when you can put the radiator in the way?
Why make the emergency brake cable easy to get at, when you can put half the exhaust in the way?
Thats just a miniscule part of repairing a W220!
Ooh I have some stories...
I ended up losing half of the functions on my steering wheel when I swapped the head unit for an Android one.
I have not had time to figure out how to get it back again, due to other faults taking my time up.

^^^^^ Ha Ha , that list is endless - probably on other marques too, but MB have made some howlers - one of my favourites is a torx screw holding the bulb retaining spring in a headlight assembly, thereby turning a simple roadside repair to make the car safe into an impossibility for 99% of the drivers who do not posses (never mind carry) a set of Torx drivers. Bonkers overkill.

It's proving stupid difficult to get a stereo fitted in my CLK! It's a Pioneer FHX730bt - nothing special but MY GOD getting it fitted is proving so difficult!!

Had a look in Halfords too - that gets silly too - an extra £70 to get a steering wheel wiring harness. Said don't bother but they're insisting I need it as the parking sensors run through the stereo!!

Anyone else had bother like this?

Have you considered fitting a Chinese unit?
One designed for your model would be pretty much plug and play.

Is this car same as yours?
Anyway might have some relevant reading
Car stereo | MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

Last edited:
Think I'm just gonna start from scratch on this and just get an install.

Just too difficult.

Ok,in that link is a page for car audio security who supply a fit kit for £90. Part of that fit kit is a plastic rectangular fitting that goes into the larger black fascia. I'm missing that - any idea where I can get one?

On another note,yeah it is. Halfords are quoting £210 to get a decent Pioneer unit put in.
So far : £55 on the unit,£6 on a cage,£7 on wiring,£20 on most of the fascia kit - that's nearly £100,lots of faffing about and it's still not even fitted!!

Should have just gone with a £210 install from Halfords. But they don't inspire confidence...

Aaarrrggghhh!!

I went for a Pioneer unit for £60 for my S210, and did without the steering wheel controls, but then again, I don't have parking sensors to worry about.

A cynic might think Mercedes - well, many car manufacturers, in fact - deliberately design some things to make it as difficult as possible for the would-be home repairer/replacer to do anything other than drive the car to the dealer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom