So, does anyone else.......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LXA

SUPPORTER
Car
ML500
When I first joined the forum I enjoyed looking through posts, various threads, perusing the joy folks get from their Mercs and even checking what kinds of problems people are having in potential preparation for mine having them and obviously looking for anything I could possibly help with.
Unfortunately I've become aware of the fact that I seem to be subconsciously thinking that I may be jinxing the future well-being of my Merc and am becoming somewhat apprehensive of going through the various problem threads.... and I'm not a person given to superstitious type behaviours, but it's definitely there....... Just wondering - anyone else get this?

Not I, and another month of care free motoring under my belt. However it is a downside of all motoring forums, people who do have issues look for help and those with no issues tend to not need help but don't post regularly, sit back and read but most of all enjoy your car and don't sweat the small stuff!

I own and drive a Lexus:dk: :thumb:

Keep taking the anti-smugness pills....:D

To answer the OP, No. Almost all cars have problems; if lack of problems is your main criterion, don't buy a Mercedes... Bear in mind that the vast majority of owners never join a forum, let alone post on one, until their cars develop a problem, so naturally, many of the posts describe problems, while very few people post to say they've owned their car for some time and nothing has gone wrong.

Nope.Never thought along those lines.
Having owned unreliable cars in the past, Mercedes...have given me the least problems.

I wish I could say that... I can say, however, that Mercedes is the brand that has given me the most pleasure (and not just my AMGs, either).

As above, forums always concentrate the frequency of problems.

I do notice that the official merc club magazine often has letters from people who have had cars and said its done 40,000 without any issues or 60,000 i dont find it surprising and frankly boring i find myself thinking i'd expect that of "virtually "any new car and i expect it of all my high mileage Mercedes cars ( & the Jag ) What I do like hearing about are the cars at 100-250K and how they are faring . even lower mileage cars that have problems but please no "shes done 40,000 without any faults " a lot of previously very unreliable manufacturers can do that now It reminds me of a salesman selling me some electronic equipment in Dixons in the 80's recommending breakdown cover to which i replied well if you think it needs breakdown cover after a year I dont want it it cant be reliable ...... end of conversation / sale
forums are a great place for accumulating useful knowledge on what goes wrong , symptoms , how to fix it or prevent it and in that respect forearmed helps avoid expensive mistakes and above all its interesting.
I would say that the OP is experiencing a problem that trainee medical students suffer from, in that they start thinking they have the symptoms of the conditions they are studying and is unsettling
Theres also a fine balance to be struck between thinking overly pessimistically , or overly optimistically (both just as bad ) striking a realistic based balance is best always compare your thoughts to the evidence and the probability in the real world not the one in your mind

I do notice that the official merc club magazine often has letters from people who have had cars and said its done 40,000 without any issues or 60,000 i dont find it surprising and frankly boring i find myself thinking i'd expect that of "virtually "any new car and i expect it of all my high mileage Mercedes cars ( & the Jag ) What I do like hearing about are the cars at 100-250K and how they are faring . even lower mileage cars that have problems but please no "shes done 40,000 without any faults " a lot of previously very unreliable manufacturers can do that now It reminds me of a salesman selling me some electronic equipment in Dixons in the 80's recommending breakdown cover to which i replied well if you think it needs breakdown cover after a year I dont want it it cant be reliable ...... end of conversation / sale
forums are a great place for accumulating useful knowledge on what goes wrong , symptoms , how to fix it or prevent it and in that respect forearmed helps avoid expensive mistakes and above all its interesting.
I would say that the OP is experiencing a problem that trainee medical students suffer from, in that they start thinking they have the symptoms of the conditions they are studying and is unsettling
Theres also a fine balance to be struck between thinking overly pessimistically , or overly optimistically (both just as bad ) striking a realistic based balance is best always compare your thoughts to the evidence and the probability in the real world not the one in your mind

That is a fair old write up lol :thumb:

Not had one single issue for 3 months.
Veh sorn’d in garage waiting for spring. ;)

I wish I could say that... I can say, however, that Mercedes is the brand that has given me the most pleasure (and not just my AMGs, either).
Same here.

As for brand reliability.... this is my own experience:

Toyota 22 years and going strong - no issues.

Kia 5 years, Suzuki 1 year - no issues.

Vauxhall 4 and 7 years, Merc 9 and 3 years - had some faults, but not too bad, i.e. not too frequent and nothing major.

Renault 5 years - never again.

So if I would be choosing a car purely on reliability, based on my experience it would have to be a Toyota (or Lexus) or Kia.

I love Mercedes and I don't really think about owning another brand but would love the heated windscreen from a ford.

However one of the last posts I read yesterday was this one about a guys washer system not working:
windscreen washer

I didn't think to much of it until I went down sat in the car waiting for the revs to drop like I always do and squirt a bit of screen wash to clear the dust off the screen when nothing came out! :eek: spooky right.

So I whipped my torch out popped the bonnet headed for the washer pump couldn't see any leaks so followed the hose inspected for splits .. nothing .. went to the Sam unit as I had just installed a dash cam maybe I jogged something ... nope ... thought ok, tomorrow job closed the bonnet sat in the car and it worked! Great.

I did think maybe I hadn't closed the bonnet properly earlier in the day when showing a colleague how to change the oil in his car and cracked on, I tried it a couple of times on the way home and it seemed fine.

This morning ... no joy :( it works when hold it in and wiggle it ( I thank you ) so I'm 98% sure a connection is gone/going in the stalk.

The moral of the story do not read about other peoples problems on here it will happen to you !! o_O

Stay in the detailing area and appreciate looking at just washed cars :D.

Reactions: LXA
Now that's ^^^^^ what I'm talking about ..... Weird, right ?.... I reckon mine will be more reliable if I don't read about others problems...... in fact probably better stop talking about it too :D. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom