So happy to have found this forum.. Can someone help me please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stoneuk

Car
S320 2003
Hi I have a head unit : Model (W220 1999-05 A2208205889 ) in need of a firmware update?
I've spoken to Command Online and they suggested i seek a decent forum for any help
It's in a Mercedes S Class 2003
I've attached a picture of the head unit
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi I have a head unit : Model (W220 1999-05 A2208205889 ) in need of a firmware update?
I've spoken to Command Online and they suggested i seek a decent forum for any help
It's in a Mercedes S Class 2003
I've attached a picture of the head unit
Many thanks in advance
Weird because most people on this forum will say speak to comand online :)
Alternatively, go to an indie with STAR DIAGNOSIS or an MB dealer

Hello and welcome . Command online are a sponsor of this forum . Do you mean they offered you a solution that was more expensive that you expected and steered you this way for more info ?

I doubt any of us on here know more about this subject than www.commandonline.co.uk , but let's wait and see.

Welcome and as above.

Welcome!
May I ask, why does it need a firmware update?

Hello and welcome . Command online are a sponsor of this forum . Do you mean they offered you a solution that was more expensive that you expected and steered you this way for more info ?

I doubt any of us on here know more about this subject than www.commandonline.co.uk , but let's wait and see.
They couldn't help me. They suggested looking on forums to try and find another user that may have the older files needed .. A bit poor of them to be honest. It's not like the files would take up much space on thier system.

TBH stoneuk this unit is is almost 20 years old , more like 60 years old in 'electronic' ICE terms . I hope you find a solution .

A later firmware will update the system to enable in my case the dvd function so i can use the later sat nav map disk
This wouldn't be enabling DVD-in-motion would it? That is being able to play dvd whilst the car is being driven?

They couldn't help me. They suggested looking on forums to try and find another user that may have the older files needed .. A bit poor of them to be honest. It's not like the files would take up much space on thier system.
I think you should reconsider your criticism of Comand on line. As others have pointed out your system is over 20 years old in design.

I am sure they have a valid commercial reason why they cannot help. Perhaps they had to pay a fee to keep or obtain firmware and there was virtually no demand.

Much more modern, user friendly and OE size head units are available and any decent one would be a significant upgrade.

The disk won't read prior to any motion.. so i think it's more to do with compatibility
The point really is that dvd in motion is against UK law and no reputable company would flash the system to enable it.
I apologise if I'm misunderstanding your requirement but surely if the COMAND unit you have could use dvd based data for navigation would it not have a separate drive to accept and read the disc?

Unless you asking Comand to do something illegal, I'm suppriesd they can't help you they Seam to be the go to guys for all things MB audio.

You may be better off just swapping out the comand unit as it very old tecc

I tried the update did not help with my issue, turns out my unit was faulty so I went the Chinese replacement route as any other would have cost more than value of car

If you want to watch DVDs on move, I can understand and reptibal company not wishing to assist in that.

Reminds me of of being driven from the airport in Port Of Spain Trinidad to my workplace , I was being driven in a large Japanese car of some sort and every time it came to a stop the screen on the dash would come alive showing some kind of Bollywood film at full blast, as soon as we pulled away it would go blank. If you have ever driven in Trinidad you will know there can be quite a lot of 'stop/go' traffic.

The driver was obviously enjoying his film while waiting for me to clear arrivals and couldnt bear to miss the end of it !

He probably did miss the end though because I asked him to turn it off , it was doing my nut in :p

Something not right with thread. I have exactly the same Command in my w220. The last update (maps) was 2013/4 its the Teleatlas DX, disk needs to be in reader all the time.
Its CD based and will not play a DVD for love nor money.
The DVD version came out soon after that larger screen version ca 2004 and has buttons along the side of the screen frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom