So... how many E500Es do we have on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrianDrought

Car
500E / Elise
When I bought mine about 2.5 years ago, noone anywhere had one, now they seem ten a penny.... Just wanted to see how many owners we got on here:

I'll start....

I got one:

http://www.briandrought.com/500e/

:p

Luverly Jubbley. What a machine!
The 500E on the front cover of Mercedes Enthusiast issue number 5 made me buy the mag. I have never looked back wanting one since.
I suppose I must make do with my E220 1995 W124 instead. Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Hello Brian me ol' evo mucker,

Still pleased with my 500E, just had it in for it's service at Perth Mercedes which cost an entirely reasonable £200. So far it's proven to be surprisingly cheap to run.

Had some fun the other day with a Subaru RB5, it must have pissed him off to be passed by an old Merc ( debadged so probably still doesn't know what it was! ), was pretty even up to 80'ish then the Benz easily pulled away. Other cars surprised by the "five-double-oh" include a Mitsubishi 3000GT and one of those ****-engined Clios.

Jolly good fun :)

Martin.

Hi there,
I bought my silver 92 500E a couple of months ago after 12ish years of wanting one.I can remember reading the Rowan Atkinson reviews in CAR and had a magazine roadtest on my wall - only now can I get insurance!! Its amazing how people are really interested in the car when they see the badge or recognise the flared arches. They are not that common in the Leeds area as the local Merc dealer parts men had not seen one in ages.

My car has done 245000kms but still drives well and is in good shape. The bonnet and bumpers have been facelifted which isn't ideal as I prefer cars to be as designed so may facelift the boot lid and tail lights so at least it matches. I'm trying to to find a resource that lets me know which parts on the car are from wich Merc model range as it will help me order parts with confidence. If anyone knows of a resource that would be great.

My car is a German market car with the auxilary heater that I hope to get working soon (any advice or links to tech info on the heater would be great!) before the really cold weather comes.

cheers
toby.

92 500E
92 280E
90 230TE
56 Land Rover S1

I have had mine since March this year - excellent and well worth the money.
It had done 50,000km since 1992 when I bought it and has now covered 75. It cost 20k Euros but is in superb condition.
Only a couple of problems so far; vacuum actuator for the fuel flap that needed changing and a problem with the from suspension which will be sorted shortly - a new steering damper and a couple of bushes to change.
Seviciing here in France is every 10,000 km and normally runs to about 250 Euros. The biggy was the 60,000km that was a bit of a stinger at 1200...
Insurance here is seemingly cheaper than the UK - I was paying 1200 GBP for my E34 M5 in Herefordshire and am now paying the same in Euros for cover down here in Cannes.
All being well, I shall be able to keep it for several more years - it is almost everything the M5 was performance wise but automatic which is more practical today in the traffic.
MPG around town is about 20-22, a decent run on cruise control at 135km/h will return about 25-26mpg.
Not bad for a 5.0V8 and on a par with a friend's modern Audi A8 4.2...

Paul64 said:
Not bad for a 5.0V8 and on a par with a friend's modern Audi A8 4.2...

Hey all, new here :)

Paul - Are you talking about the MPG being on a par with an A8 4.2, or the general car?

I was hoping the E500E would be better than the A8, in spite of the fact that it's older. Our family had a 98 A8 4.2 (300 bhp ver) for a little over a year. It was a nice car, but more luxury than sports. Given that you could buy a half decent one of these for ~£8k, it's much more modern and has more equipment, and E500Es fetch rather more than £8k, I hope it's worth the extra. Have you driven both? I found the A8 a bit too big, with no communication, but what can you expect? The handling is at least good. The ride - often criticised - is smooth enough to be fine, but could be even more pillowy. However the cars relative agility makes up for it.

I hope a 500E is more sporting, and handles much better!

Russ

P.S. for the record, I had 27 MPG (if I recall correctly) from the A8 on a tour to/from Oulton Park circuit, Cheshire.

I enjoyed the A8 when I used it however, the 500 is a more interesting car overall - I suppose the difference in equipment and space between the two makes the A8 perhaps a more sensible choice today however, for me, the 500 is almost anonymous, quick and comfortable for me and suits my job, however, as mentioned, the decent climate control, ergonomics (I am 6'3" and can't see the speedo between 80 and 190km/h on the 500) and space can persuade some less informed....
The handling on the 500 is certainly 'good' with decent modern tyres however, the ASR can cut in quite early - leaving roundabouts for example - which tends to be a bit annoying. The Quattro was perhaps better in this respect. I am using Dunlop SP01 tyres which are quiet and seems to offer good aquaplaning resistance which is quite important down here - It's not all sunshine on the Riviera!
I think the ride in the 500 is, overall, a decent compromise; it seems softer than the standard Sportline set-up for round town and motorway but manages to keep good handling characteristics when pushing along.
Mine is now 12 years old so I guess new front shock will be on the cards soon - perhaps during this next bit of work - and maybe I will lose some of the comfort...
The mpg seems to be about the same as the A8 overall - I think I would pay whatever the cost though, it's that good! We are on about 1.05 Euro a litre here for 98 octane fuel, perhaps a cent less for 95...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom