So I got a ticket...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Before you start reading, a disclaimer. This isn't a thread about me thinking of contesting the ticket, nor is it a thread about trying to find a loophole/evade the ticket. I accept full responsability for my actions, unhappily so - but I do.

Now, onto the fun stuff... Last Sunday, I was preparing a BBQ for a large group of people, so I jumped into the car and popped down to the local CostCo. On the B462 (Aldenham road in Bushey) I noticed two coppers on the side of the street with a hair-dryer. I check my speed (just under 40) and think "no problem".

Today, I get a NIP stating that the speed limit there is 30mph - fair enough. I was SURE the speed limit there is 40mph, and a quick search on google brings up a petition to lower the speed limit... I guess they managed!

Now, to the real point... I'm impressed with the online service. I can see my picture, I can see scans of the calibration certificates (calibrated 3 days before) and some other random information. Being able to pay online would be nice - but you can't have it all.

Finally, my questions... I'm guessing it's going to be £60 & 3 points, right? - I don't plan to contest it (but I do plan to drive back there and look for a sign...). Secondly, once I tell my insurance companies, what do you reckon will happen? Especially considering I'm 22 and drive some fairly high-risk vehicles (Z3, W202, and a Ducati mainly)...

I'm not happy... but I do feel the whole process is very well set out and fairly clear. Fair enough to them I say!

Michele

Definitely check the signage but otherwise well done Spinal, it's nice to see someone standing up and taking it like a man.

As far as insurance goes I doubt the points will make any difference assuming them to be your first ones, or at least onto a clean license.

Last edited:
Hi Mike
If this is your first offence you will be able to pay the £60.00 and go to naughty school so save yourself 3 points on your license, because this does not show on your license the insurance company does not need to be told.
My wife has just done this but I think you can't be any more than 8 miles over the 30mph I may be incorrect on this

Norman

Last edited:
Hi Mike
If this is your first offence you will be able to pay the £60.00 and go to naughty school so save yourself 3 points on your license, because this does not show on your license the insurance company does not need to be told.
My wife has just done this but I think you can't be any more than 8 miles over the 30mph I may be incorrect on this

Norman

Nope up to discretion of the local force, theres no firm rules.
Your insurance company will want to know. It porbably won't change til the next premium, then it will go up - by how much.... total guess but I say about 10% of current premium.

Hello 3 points your normaly ok. The worry is if you get another 3 now then it starts to make a difference.

I would check the signs and make sure they are the correct speed limit signs (colours etc)

If you can do the course rather than take the points all good, but I know someone who did a similar thing and it was like a driving test from hell :) :)

If you can do the course rather than take the points all good, but I know someone who did a similar thing and it was like a driving test from hell :) :)

Was that for speeding? They are normally classroom lectures, the Due Care ones are normally a practical session, which you can't fail as long as you turn up.

Your right Dieselman it is a classroom lecture and very straightforward,

They are the first points I've gotten - the one thing that annoys me is that I thought I was under the speed limit!

I know I speed at times - I admit it. This wasn't one of those times! :p (or at least, not one I thought :p) Had I known, I would have been going at 29mph...

Oh well; c'est la vie!

Michele

Hi Mike

Are you sure about this?

Your contract with the insurance company require you to tell them everything relevant to the policy. I would consider being convicted of a motoring offence extremely relevant.

Secondly, once I tell my insurance companies, what do you reckon will happen? Especially considering I'm 22 and drive some fairly high-risk vehicles (Z3, W202, and a Ducati mainly)...

I know the road well and noticed the new speed limit recently. Luckily, there were no hair-dryer wielding people around at the time.

I went on-line to sort out my father-in-law's car insurance a couple of years ago. I put in his personal and car details (BMW 318i) and the price was £350-ish. I then asked him if he had any convictions, found out he had a current speeding endorsement (doing 87 on a motorway) and amended the details. The price went down to £330-ish!

Of course, he's a lot older than you ;) and a 318i isn't a Z3, but I don't think one speeding endorsement is that significant. However, it would be good not to have the endorsement at all (for future insurance quotes) if that is possible.

Your contract with the insurance company require you to tell them everything relevant to the policy. I would consider being convicted of a motoring offence extremely relevant.

I am in a similar situation to Spinal and have accepted the 'Urban Speed Awareness Workshop' - I am led to understand that if you accept the offer of the course it isn't counted as a conviction. The course was £74 including VAT, so more expensive than the £60 fine, but I preferred to keep my license clean.

Bit p'd off with myself and was considering contesting it because the enforcement vehicle wasn't clearly visible or marked and Thames Valley Police state that all their vehicles are clearly marked and in visible locations; however I really can't be ****d with contesting it. The course will probably do me good anyway.

Just a quick update; today I got my Conditional offer; I've been given three choices:
- Do a Speed Awareness Course (£100)
- Pay a fine (£60) and get three points
- Go to court and contest the whole thing

Obviously, I'm going to do the awareness course... funny bit is, under the location field there is:
B462 aldenham Road, Bushey, S/W of Metropolitan Police Club
oops :p

another thing I noticed is that it says that if I choose to do the course, I wont be offered the course again should I get zapped within 3 years... fair enough :D

My only problem now is finding the paper counterpart of my driving licence....

Michele

P.S. Agatward: It is no longer a requirement to clearly mark vehicle nor cameras... they can be hidden in a rubbish bin or the back of a horse carriage and it would still be "fine" (no pun intended).

Maybe insurance companies differ in their attitude to speeding points. In my case (back in 2002 admittedly) Direct Line put the premium up at the next renewal. I queried it thinking that every dog was allowed one free bite but up it went.

Maybe insurance companies differ in their attitude to speeding points. In my case (back in 2002 admittedly) Direct Line put the premium up at the next renewal. I queried it thinking that every dog was allowed one free bite but up it went.

Diesel E, you are getting confused: this issue was addressed in the Dangerous Dogs (1991) Act as amended in 1997: "Dogs will not be alllowed even a single bite, only sniffing".

Maybe insurance companies differ in their attitude to speeding points.
Many insurance companies (but by no means all, as you found out) now totally ignore a bog standard 3-points for speeding. The fact is that so many people now have 3 points on their licence that it's no longer seen as a risk factor. Another example of the law of unintended consequences.

You will proberly get offered the lecture...£60.00..don't do what i did..and fall asleep...they played up holy hell with me...and threatened to fine me anyway..did get a nice keyring though.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom