So I have finally managed to get my grubby mitts on it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Dads S350 Blutech.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I've been cutting around in it this weekend:D:D

Its blooming huge. I can manouver it, but bloody H its a brute to park..LOL

So what do I think of it.

The engine is quieter in this than my old E class, considerably. Its almost as urgent and really is a powerful fast car. Doesn't need many RPM (below 2000) to move along at a sedate but not unprogressive pace).

Gearbox. I don't know if its a 7g or 7g plus but its the best 7 speed merc one I sampled other than the MCT box in the C63. That sadly merely makes it servicable. It's fine up the way, if a tad ponderous, but down the way from and really from 2 into 1 there is a rather unbefitting clunk as it finds 1st. I've driven it sufficiently to realise these aren't one offs, but regular. Most of the time its ok if you don't need to stop. Spacing is a tad irritating, but its really not a press on driving car, so it matters less. Bar that C63, every 7g has this issue.

Ride. In a word fabulous. Its not a sporting car. It handles safely and isn't bus like, but its a cruiser. The ride really is fabulous, the road just feels smooth beneath it. Its like no other car I have sampled. I love it, it would be great on the motorway and smooth quiet A roads. Ride height is an interesting one, it has a sport mode which lowers it. Despite feeling almost SUV height (remember, I had a lowered 211 sport and a 204 sport is my present car) I felt no desire to lower it down. You feel like a class above, slightly above everyone else bar SUVs and can look down on people like they are scum when you drive it...LOL. It's comanding and luxurious and entirely appropriate for the sort of car it is.

Handling. Its not bad actually. Too much power at the back so pulling out of juctions an inside rear wheel can spin. Should have an LSD. Its a 400ft/lb torque car. (Well 398ft/lb actually). It's a big car but feels ok on the road, like an AG 211 really but more comfortable. The steering is light enough to be effortless and relaxing, but not too light that the car feels cheap. You can get in, turn it and it goes where you point it in a dignified, composed, yet unhurried manner. Its not an engaging car, but christ its relaxing.

Economy, I never checked. Its not mine and I've not used it that much to really say. Its an S class, if you have to ask, buy something else. Its diesel engine merely makes it reasonably efficient and over 500 miles range. It probably does 40mpg average if you drive it progressively but still sedately. If you want better, buy a C200CDi.

Seats. They are leather and therefore hateful. Brilliant range of adjustment and very comfortably shaped and designed, but I do wish they were the cloth like mine.

Equipment. Dad can't use the stuff on it, I cannot use the stuff on it. I never bothered trying. I am not an IT contractor but feel you need to be to use half the stuff on it. He asked I remove a tyre pressure warning from a puncture in which he got repaired. Took me ten mins. Its too complex and the basic comfort and engineering of the car is excellent, but all that gadgetry would put me off it.

So I have a C220cdi, am I now hankering after something bigger.

No. Mine is plucky and fun, this is a more sombre car to drive, more relaxing, less playful. It serves me well as my only car. Money no object, I would have the S class in a heart beat, but I'd need another smaller car to drive in. So dream garage, an S350 with a course in IT, and a KTM X bow, oh and a C class estate, as there is no finer car money can buy;):p

So glad you 'get' the S-Class experience.

Not so great to hear that the new S350 might disappoint me if I was to switch from a W220 to a W221.

Might as well stick with an S500 in whatever model designation.

I do agree that the W221 is a beautifully appointed machine. The cabin is a glorious place - not entirely convinced by it's big ass rear though.

So glad you 'get' the S-Class experience.

Not so great to hear that the new S350 might disappoint me if I was to switch from a W220 to a W221.

Might as well stick with an S500 in whatever model designation.

I do agree that the W221 is a beautifully appointed machine. The cabin is a glorious place - not entirely convinced by it's big ass rear though.

Its not got the grace and classic style of a W220, but the ride, (since airmatic is standard on diesels) space and cabin are a fair bit better.

The S350 is not as quick as yours, thats not to say its a slow car, its rather fast actually, but yours is faster and sounds fruiter. He's averaged 41mpg in it, he'd average 25mpg in yours plus at the new age it is, a 500 would costs tens of thousands more.

Handling wise, its relaxing like yours, maybe rides better, maybe doesn't, can't tell drove both cars on different roads, but its miles comfier than anything I drove on familiar roads.

You're more gadety than me, I dare say you'd enjoy all the equipment, it to me puts the fear of god into me all that computery stuff.

Last edited:
Nicely considered write up.

I think the S is a great machine which I'm sure I'd love to own as I suspect it is one of those cars where familiarity breeds content! It's just a bit on the large side for my driveway. Seen in isolation, it doesn't look oversized as the proportions are so good. When you see it parked alongside an E or a C, you realise that is it is a fairly big old bus.

Would be interesting to compare the almost silent petrol engine in LTD's car with the newer diesel of ***'s. As a die-hard petrol head I suspect I know which I'd prefer for a luxury car though. The V6 in my E280 is quiet, but you are never really in any doubt that it is running on tractor fuel.

Nicely considered write up.

I think the S is a great machine which I'm sure I'd love to own as I suspect it is one of those cars where familiarity breeds content! It's just a bit on the large side for my driveway. Seen in isolation, it doesn't look oversized as the proportions are so good. When you see it parked alongside an E or a C, you realise that is it is a fairly big old bus.

Would be interesting to compare the almost silent petrol engine in LTD's car with the newer diesel of ***'s. As a die-hard petrol head I suspect I know which I'd prefer for a luxury car though. The V6 in my E280 is quiet, but you are never really in any doubt that it is running on tractor fuel.

Its a fair bit quieter than a V6CDi E class. And size wise, its bigger, but its a standard wheel base (Stevens is the LWB), it may only be a foot longer and half a foot wider. However, it delivers its power like a diesel, strong lag then a big burst of torque, but you don't get a loud petrol like roar.

Lawrence

My S500 now growls under load since it's decat :)

I like the W221, it's very comfortable, the seats are a real step up from an E-class.

The only thing that puts me off is the overall handling, I think I would find it just not sharp enough...although peter made a pretty good show of his at Goodwood.

My S500 now growls under load since it's decat
smile.gif

NASCAR here we come Bubba :thumb:

I love the S class Mercedes, its horses for courses. In lesser models you get there, in an S Class one arrives, they just eat up the miles.

I like the W221, it's very comfortable, the seats are a real step up from an E-class.

The only thing that puts me off is the overall handling, I think I would find it just not sharp enough...although peter made a pretty good show of his at Goodwood.

Think about those seats and trim and ride, there's a lot to like about this car. You are also very tall. I can tell you a W212 is rubbish seating wise, you'd hate it. The 204 is better actually, but the W221 is perfect for big people.

The more I think about it, the E class really is a big C class, samish trim, bit more space, bit less agile. The difference between S and E is massive in terms of price, trim and luxury (and handling). The difference between C and E is quite small.

You really need to try it, I couldn't have an S as my only car, for that, the detachment from the road but I drive mainly on twisty roads, you have less of those south of Carlise. . I could have a C or E as my only car.

However, from a W210 to a W221 is a big jump in age and technology and design, you may find the handling ok.

In lesser models you get there, in an S Class one arrives, they just eat up the miles.

Couldn't agree more.

Did York and back in a day not so long ago and it was a joyful thing on both motorways and A roads. Might not be the sharpest car in the bends but it can certainly shift in a straight line.

... and then there is your behemoth of a motor :thumb:

Think about those seats and trim and ride, there's a lot to like about this car. You are also very tall. I can tell you a W212 is rubbish seating wise, you'd hate it. The 204 is better actually, but the W221 is perfect for big people.
Ok, I'm sold...when can you deliver?

However, from a W210 to a W221 is a big jump in age and technology and design, you may find the handling ok.

I think the W210 rides better than a W211 as it doesn't shimmy, and as for the seats...

Air ride can make cars seem a bit ponderous as the air units don't adjust size for different ride heights, so are always unfilled.

I too love S-class, if you like the big barge like properties, the ability to soak up mile after mile with ease, but are not a fan of the modern computers take a W140 for a drive. I liken the W140 more more to the W221 than the W220 for shear size and road presence.

So the day I returned my C Class to the dealer the DP offered me a lift to the Audi showroom 35 miles away.

This "lift" was in a C350 CDi as passenger.

I was left totally cold as the whole thing felt just like a C Class but a bit bigger!

There was still the excessive tyre nose, the dash looked pretty much the same (except for the analogue clock in the middle) and the ride felt "familiar"

So rather than the C feeling like a small S, it was a case of the S feeling like a big C

Now you can read that as a positive for the C or a negative for the S but I really did feel underwhelmed although the Audi dealer was still blown away that I was chaufer driven to him in an S Class.

. . . . . . . . . e handling ok.

I'm not a giant, but lack of headroom was the reason for rejecting the CLS.

So the day I returned my C Class to the dealer the DP offered me a lift to the Audi showroom 35 miles away.

This "lift" was in a C350 CDi as passenger.

I was left totally cold as the whole thing felt just like a C Class but a bit bigger!

There was still the excessive tyre nose, the dash looked pretty much the same (except for the analogue clock in the middle) and the ride felt "familiar"

So rather than the C feeling like a small S, it was a case of the S feeling like a big C

Now you can read that as a positive for the C or a negative for the S but I really did feel underwhelmed although the Audi dealer was still blown away that I was chaufer driven to him in an S Class.

I presume you mean E350cdi or S350cdi??

I thought Jimmy Saville drove a Rolls Royce :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom