So I need a new Job / Career or Business Direction, any advice welcome !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Alright good peoples,

So for the last 20 years I have owned a shop in South East London selling cheap secondhand furniture and new Beds to immigrants, slum landlords and dodgy letting agents. Back in the good old days pre 2000's (My Fathers time) it was a goldmine. But times change. It has been slowly dying a death for many years and Brexit and Covid have really put paid to it for good. So 9 months ago I was kicked out of my rent free premises in South East London, it was not a big deal as was sick of the travelling (3 plus hours a day). I have taken on a smaller shop local to me. The premises are is completely inappropriate as a furniture shop as on the second floor with no lift. Footfall is virtually zero but I new it would be and only took it because the rent is half the price of other shops in the area. Even the shops that are twice as much would not give me the footfall and space that i need. I only open the shop Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. In my new shop I now sell more Retro Furniture and smalls, basically its a slightly posher looking junk shop. The majority of my Sales come from Facebook and Ebay. Monday to Thursday I do contract work for Letting Agents that I cultivated from my previous shop.

So after my move I tried to get New Bed sales from Local Agents, as repeat business is what I need to pay the bills but it just hasn't happened for me. Since Covid and landlords being shafted over rent, Landlords are just not using Agents to manage their properties anymore / and or are just not putting beds in. My main Letting agent where the majority of my income from has gone skint and all my other agents are really struggling for managed properties. There are still plenty of properties being rented but not managed.

I wasn't that worried, I thought I would just ride it out but in the last month the Facebook and Ebay sales have literally nosedived. The stuff I sell is non essentials and all the bill rises have obviously effected peoples spending to my detriment. I'm not the only one in my business to have it all go to pot over night, my supplier of new beds has laid off half their staff, other lot more established dealers are trying to offload stuff to me, pretty much all of my contacts.

So I cant see any change likely to happen in the future so really need some help with a change of direction

So I can give it up and try and get a job !!! But as I have no actual definable skills or a trade the chances of me getting a decent paid job are zero !! I have not got a clue how you even go about getting a job nowadays !!! What options are out there for a 46 year old bloke !!!!! I have no practical skills whatsoever so sparky, plumber type jobs are a no no.

I am still stuck in my shop for another year so could always train to do something but would not have the first idea what to train for ! Running a cash in hand shop for 20 years is not very transferable to the modern world.

The only other thing is come to come up with a new business with what I already have. As to what I also have not got a clue. I have storage, I have retail premises, I have transportation (2 Vans) and I have time !!!!! Only thing I don't have is staff.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Sorry to hear of all your troubles, I am afraid I do not have the "magic answer" you are looking for. I have rental properties that are managed but all are unfurnished now. I fear big problems coming soon from the cost of living, energy prices etc and what really gets my goat is the media telling tenants ways to avoid paying rent or just staying put rent free and then destroying the property before they depart - and leave all their crap for someone else to clear up!!!

Are you good at anything? could you get on a government re-training course. I think the days of the "one man", shop owner are numbered as everyone needs an on-line presence and to cope with all the returns and crap from customers. If you have never been an employee you will also struggle with being told what to do etc. Just popping out for a couple of hours hehe. What about an Open Uni course?
I would try to work from home to keep overheads to a minimum, carry on selling your stuff from your garage using ebay/faceslap etc until something exciting pops up.

best of luck with the future

kc

Well I take it you are sound of wind and limb,if it is not too big a jump for you after managing a shop,I would suggest you pay for a crane slingers ticket,look it up as long as you can hear you can do that job,because you need to be in contact with the tower crane driver by radio,at the moment the job is paying £190 a day plus overtime.,and of course you are near London rates there can be higher.

I had a stint in recruitment during one of the oil price crashes a number of years ago. I would ask people looking for work to literally list all of the things they did in their current or previous roles. It’s often surprising how many transferable skills you might have acquired. Could include accounting/profit and loss, organisation and resources management, logistics, client liaison, customer service, sales and marketing, legal aspects etc etc. It can also be a good way to home in on the aspects you might be most interested in/good at which might then give a direction when looking for something else. I would also add entrepreneurship as that’s a rare quality.

Best of luck!

Well I take it you are sound of wind and limb,if it is not too big a jump for you after managing a shop,I would suggest you pay for a crane slingers ticket,look it up as long as you can hear you can do that job,because you need to be in contact with the tower crane driver by radio,at the moment the job is paying £190 a day plus overtime.,and of course you are near London rates there can be higher.

I don't do ladders, so probably a crane drivers is probably a no no !!! But something along those lines would be good !!!!

Have you thought of opening a Deportment and Riding School for the overweight?

There's money in fat busting, so as my shop is somewhat out the way, if I could think of a business, you never know :)

There's money in fat busting, so as my shop is somewhat out the way, if I could think of a business, you never know :)
With the shop being on the first floor and there being no lift, at least they'd have to climb stairs to reach it so that's a start ;) 🤣

More seriously, while I have no practical suggestions, good luck with whatever direction you choose to pursue 👍

Well no ladders in the job,it is all about directing the crane to where there is a lift needed,say it is packs of blocks,the crane will have a spoon on it that you will direct and then shove under the blocks,you will cover the blocks with a cover and then direct the crane to where the blocks are needed,if the site has plenty of brick layers they will almost certainly land the blocks for you on whatever floor they want it on,if not you will have to walk up the stairs to do that,now once you have spent say 6 months doing that save your money and take the Lift supervisors ticket because all these big sites and small ones are supposed to have one of them as well as a slinger,and many companies are willing to pay around £26 a hour to have a supervisor to do both jobs,to be fair supervisors do nothing much and it can all be learned on those courses,what you need to look for if you go this route is a small site,and hope you get a decent crane driver,who will help you get over the first couple of weeks.

Well no ladders in the job,it is all about directing the crane to where there is a lift needed,say it is packs of blocks,the crane will have a spoon on it that you will direct and then shove under the blocks,you will cover the blocks with a cover and then direct the crane to where the blocks are needed,if the site has plenty of brick layers they will almost certainly land the blocks for you on whatever floor they want it on,if not you will have to walk up the stairs to do that,now once you have spent say 6 months doing that save your money and take the Lift supervisors ticket because all these big sites and small ones are supposed to have one of them as well as a slinger,and many companies are willing to pay around £26 a hour to have a supervisor to do both jobs,to be fair supervisors do nothing much and it can all be learned on those courses,what you need to look for if you go this route is a small site,and hope you get a decent crane driver,who will help you get over the first couple of weeks.

Sorry, thought it was a actual crane driver :). I've now looked it up, sounds quite interesting !

Sorry to hear about your predicament, there are jobs out there, for the unskilled, if you don't particularly mind what you do. Just don't pick a Dog walker. :rolleyes: ;) Seriously though good luck. :) 👍

If i was going to retrain for anything i think i'd go for Building Controls. With the increased focus on energy usage and the current/future increases in fuel costs im sure there is a huge market for optimising building efficiency - not just commercial/industrial which i think is common but for homes as well. Our fuel bills are currently £300/month and there's only two of us in our house so im looking at how to minimise waste. I'd happily pay someone to come in and do an audit/sort it all out.

I sympathise with your position. When I was made redundant at 59 years old I invested some of the money in a bookshop, always an ambition of mine. The problem was that the Kindle was just getting popular and Tesco, I kid ou not, was the "Bookseller of the year"
After 5 years the lease ran out so I closed up and retrained for what I consider the best job that I ever had.

Retirement.

Not as lucrative as working for the man, but far more rewarding. Cutting cloth to size is not so difficult.

Good luck to you!

Where in the Uk are you?
Are you willing to travel - what's your commutable distance?

There is plenty of work in the logistics sector currently as the drive for e-comm solutions continues. Whether it's driving or warehouse related, plenty on offer with apprenticeships also available.

Sounds like antiques/collectibles/ house clearances could be a possibility. You have the shop and the vans.

The very best of luck and good fortune for the future. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Sounds like antiques/collectibles/ house clearances could be a possibility. You have the shop and the vans.

The very best of luck and good fortune for the future. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

That's what I do and it's that has died a death.

Need to find something not furniture / antiques / toot to do with my vans and shop !

Reactions: Ted
With respect, any banksman/slingers job with a crane needs previous building site experience. It's not a job that can be learnt overnight or 6 months and I'm positive any vacancies would be given to applicants with prior experience.

In my past life I was a steel fixer, and had to have an NVQ in banksman/slingers capacity to unload trucks full of reinforcing and send it up x number of floors to the place of work. It isn't as easy as it looks talking a crane driver to drop a 3 ton bundle of steel exactly where you want it when they are unsighted.
To the OP, not trying to disillusion you, but I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom