So I need a new windscreen.... which is the best service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Travelling along the A13 today and a massively loud high pitched impact sound almost made me soil my pants.

Looked around in a slight panic (without swerving from lane to lane, happily) and there is a big ol' impact site and crack about an inch from the top nearside corner of the screen. After going around a few corners quite enthusiastically, it the crack grew quite a bit more.

It's not a repair job, so a replacement is needed.

Which service is the best? The car (W210) has rain sensing wipers, are all the windscreen services able to deal with this? Anything I need to watch out for?

BTW, didn't find a suitable technical forum to post this in, please move if it needs moving.

Thanks in advance.

have you got fully comp or do you want to do it on your own?

Last edited:
Fully comp, I'd never even consider doing it myself.

I have to suffer the £70 excess, but it's not affecting my no claims bonus or anything.

In that case i think the insurance normally nominate thier own guy to do it.
mine was autoglass

I have had several screens changed with Autoglass and no problems in fact very professional and a good job every time. Now use a local independent guy who is about a third the price of Autoglass located in South Yorkshire if thats any help

As with all these franchises, a lot depends on the actual skills of your local outfit.

I used Autoglass once on my previous car (a W140), as the driver's side window got smashed by some vandals (well, the outer pane, the inner one kept together - double glazing :crazy:). Mercedes did not want to do it over the weekend, local indy closed.

They did fit the pane, but damaged the door card and the wooden inlay in the process. I then had hassle to get them to take responsibility for it and almost had to take them to court before they agreed to repair the damage at their own expense.

Of course, while I had a bad experience, I'm sure there are good ones out there as well, so recommendations based on personal experience are probably a good way to help find a competent one. :)

Autoglass fitted mine in 2004 on the 306. it was alright but the rain wiper sensor stopped functioning

Autoglass fitted a newscreen for me about six months ago. The first time they said they DROPPED my replacement screen, so i had to take the car in again next day whilst the replacement replacement was ordered. Once it was fitted, i couldnt really argue with the finish, they did a good job, although I did make sure I talked to the guy who would be doing the job to make sure that he didnt make a pigs ear of removing the existing window trim from my car. In fairness he did a good job.

In my experience if you phone round the glass companies, (and it is up to you where you have it done, not the insurance company!!) you will find that if you approach them nicely they won't even take your excess off you, in other words you get the glass replaced for free.

Mine went similarly a year or so back, Autoglass replaced it in the work car park and were very good. I did insist on a genuine MB windscreen, I wanted to make sure that the new one fitted perfectly (had problems with pattern parts many, many, years ago in my yuth, not windscreens admitedly) don't know if it made any difference but it seemed to make sense. Did cost a bit extra though, but overall only around two tanks of petrol...

)

My 1st C43 suffered the same problem. Fully comp so Autoglass (I think) came out and I paid £50 or so excess (2003).

At that time they would not offer MB glass as they said it was too expensive, I think I was offered the ability to pay the difference but it was £700 or so!

Anyone had MB glass fitted recently- as I would like to change mine under my policy (number of minor chips)?

Read your insurance policy to see what it says about glass repairs / replacement.

Several years ago had an MB insured with MB insurance (aka NU, now Avviva) which needed a new windscreen.

Insurance policy said use our company (Autoglas) and there will be no charge at all. Use your own company and we will foot , I think, 70% of the bill. Might not have been 70% but it was there abouts.

Talked to local MB dealer who said that they would use a proper MB part, (Autoglas would use a pattern part made by the same company as the MB item, they said) and would fit it properly and then went on to describe bonding agents, curing times and so on. Implication being that Autoglas would do a less good job. Went for MB solution. Proper item and any issues would be easier to resolve. No issues.

Just looked at current insurance policy (NFU) which doesn’t deal with glass separately, other than to mention no excess or loss of NCB applies, and says to supply a detailed estimate with no mention of where from.

If I was in the market for a new screen I would be going to my MB dealer.

I had mine replaced by RAC = Rubbish and then by Autoglass = Brilliant, they would only fit genuine part to chassis number, so got the correct tint and rain sensor. Would reccomend them any time. Only normal excess applicable.

Auto Windscreens and Autoglass have each run a BOGOF service for me. Both replaced the broken windscreen, then had to smash it out and spend a little more time fitting another one properly. Autoglass caused extra problems by binning the tax disc:crazy: for which they 'waived' the £60 excess.

On the whole, I'd prefer neither;) , but the insurance company dictates their use.

Autoglass did mine fine, they also do them for the local MB dealer

Phil

ive used RAC windscreens before for my mk1 golf, they did a reall good job, but it was a straightforward screen to replace, and it does depend on the fitter, not necesserly the company!

Well, I went with the Autoglass option, and I most say I am very impressed with the service so far.

I requested a home appointment via their website at 0900 last night. I got a phone call 15 minutes later with a very knowledgeable polite chap who explained that the windscreen is the same as OEM but without the MB logo. It would have the same sun shield tinting and rain sensor. He also was able to check and authorise the insurance claim as well without me having to do a damned thing.

Appointment is Sunday afternoon, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I got a phone call 15 minutes later with a very knowledgeable polite chap who explained that the windscreen is the same as OEM but without the MB logo. It would have the same sun shield tinting and rain sensor.

Thanks for update Peter, I'm interested bec. I want to do this too.

All: Is it really the case the the emboldened statement is true? Or should we demand MB Glass? Opinions please...

I harped on about this quite a while, probably boring the poor chap to death, and the response was that it's made by the same manufacturer to the same spec, 'cept for the MB emblem/logo.

I'll see on Sunday. Else I'll just have to follow loads of gravel lorries hoping for another cracked windscreen.

My policy says that if I use approved repairer then I just pay £60 excess.
I assume their suppliers only give out the pattern parts.

If I use own supplier I get £125 towards costs. Knowing MB, their glass ain't gonna be cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom