So, just bought a BMW....sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
I have been getting very itchy feet for something new over the last few weeks, but been in a real quandary as, hand on heart, the old ML270 I have been in for the last 18 months has been my favourite car ownership experience.
Don't get me wrong, I wish it had the engine from our 335i touring in it, and the 8 speed gearbox from the 5GT and economy from the 320d but overall it is such a nice car, extremely comfy, and was a joy to drive, still is.

I was thinking of a sportier second car and keeping the ML, and after trying loads decided that 5.0 Jag XK-R would be the one, but kept thinking it would never get used, it would sit in the garage. So thought that a newer 4x4 or fast estate was the way to go.

I tried them all, put a deposit down on a 535i sport touring and then someone hit the ML so 2 days before collection I had to pull out. But I was quite relieved as I wasn't sure another BMW Sport Touring was the right choice.

So started to look at 4x4's.
Tried the lot, new ML, new X5, Range Rover (2010) RRS (2010), Freelander 2 (2013), Evoque, Q5, 2013 Disco 4 and even a couple of twin cabs.

But in the end it was the Evoque that won on drive, but too flash in design for us, so tried a late Freelander HSE and loved it, but can't buy an old model, so decided to wait for the new Discovery Sport.

I will be honest and say the FFRR was the real winner, but I wanted a late model and I couldn't justify £5-600 a month in depreciation and another £500 a month in fuel, I pay £350-450 in the ML and that is enough.
Hence why we tried the Evoque, which in turn led us onto the Disco Sport.

My mind was made up, I would keep the ML for another 6-9 months and order one.
I bought the ML some new 19" W164 wheels and a set of Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres and gave her a good clean and was happy in my decision.

But........A customer of mine turned up in an X3, which was a bit of a surprise as he bought a new X5 last spring. I presumed it was a loan car while his was in at BMW or something, but turns out he had swapped the X5 for the X3.
Hmmm?
Strange decision?
Turns out he took his X5 in for 2 wheels to be refurbed and was lent an X3, only a small 20d xDrive auto, in SE spec. not M-Sport, and he loved it.
Said over the 2 days he found it far more comfy, 18" non run flat tyres compared with the 20" with run flats on the X5 and the cabin was plenty big enough, he said about the same as his old X5.
But he also said it was so nice to be seeing 40-50 mpg rather than late early to late 20's from the X5, and as someone doing 20k miles a year or more that made a big difference.

He didn't find it underpowered, he actually enjoyed it more on the back roads and all in all was so pleased he had made the change.

I booked in for a test drive. :D

I loved the car, I took out an SE and an M-Sport back to back, and loved the SE for ride and handling but hated the seats!
But the car rode beautifully on all surfaces, was plenty tight enough on the fast B roads and the interior and the gadgets was sublime.
So decided I would track down an SE with sport seats.
My only essentials were xenon lights, sport seats and 17-18" wheels on proper tyres, not runflats.
Oh, and a light coloured interior.

Out of 320 cars on BMW Approved Used Car site the total number of cars matching that spec was..........6.
Cheapest one was a shocking £38,000!! :eek:

So then specced up a new one, it was £41k.
Now maybe I am getting old, but £40k for a 2 litre diesel just seems madness! :dk:
So rang round to get a deal, must be the usual £8000 off?
But No.
£3500 was the best discount I could get.
However residuals are rock solid so it could have worked, however....Next September was the earliest I would get one, may push back to December.

I'm not waiting a year.

I decided to just keep looking at what came up and wait till the spring.
But then the other morning one appeared with no photos, in my preferred black with Oyster leather and more than a few options ticked.

Climate comfort windscreen Reversing camera
Windshield with grey wedge
Roof rail, aluminum, satin finish
Electric panoramic Roof
Roller sun vizor, rear door
Floor mats, velours
Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
Interior mirror with automatic-dip Through-loading system
Sports seat
Seat heating driver/passenger
Seat heating, rear
Fine woodgrain version Fineline Wave
Headlight cleaning system
Park Distance Control (PDC)
Rain sensor
Xenon Light
Adaptive Headlights
Automatic air conditioning
Adaptive Cruise control with brake function
Interior Light package
High-beam assistant
Passenger airbag deactivation
Navigation system Professional
BMW Assist
Expanded BMW Online Information
BMW Online
Preparation, mobile phone advanced
Dab Radio
BMW TeleServices
Connection Bluetooth+ USB devices incl.
Control for Combox

So, collect on Monday!

Just need to decide what I am doing with the ML.
I have insured the X3, ML and our 2.8i Z3 and will decide, it sounds stupid but I may just keep the ML and sell the Z3 as I love the ML.

I will post a report when I collect it. Normally I get so excited when getting a new car, but I am a bit nervous about this one, not about the X3, but more because I think I should be getting rid of the ML, as having 2 4x4s seems madness, but know I will really miss it.

Yeah, I have been on there for the last 15 years or so. Still post occasionally.

If you do decide to sell the Z3, place an advert here. I may just be interested. Thanks.

Great write up. Hope the car does everything you wish for.

I'm sure it will do everything I need it to do.

Everything I wish for?? Hmmm, that's a different matter.
5.0 supercharged RR and the ML63 is everything I wish for, but I am getting old, boring, sensible and tight!! :D

Now they are coming down in price Im leaning towards an ML 270, so thanks for the bits on that too.

Enjoy the BM. Its not too far away from MB it?

Nice write up gIzzE , sounds a nice spec X3, post up some pics when you can, Enjoy :thumb:

Last edited:
Now they are coming down in price Im leaning towards an ML 270, so thanks for the bits on that too.

Enjoy the BM. Its not too far away from MB it?

Not really, it feels more Merc than the W164 does in many ways.
The ML250 W164 got pretty close, and I did really like it, but the extra 30% economy of the BMW makes a lot of financial sense to me.

If I can save £150+ on fuel each month that pays for half the depreciation.

If I sell the ML270, I will also sell the Z3 and probably buy a CLK or something, will want to still have a Merc of some description.

Please stick around here though ?

I don't think I could go through life without seeing the dog with the pie in his mouth with the quizzical 'is this mine ?' expression :D

That is one of the reasons for keeping a Merc, I enjoy the Merc forums.

Collected today, met the driver at Basingstoke train station saving me the trek to Yeovil, an extra hour and half on the train, and then back again on the road, would have been a right ball ache.

Obviously I have had a few BMWs so knew the controls pretty well, the iDrive is second nature once learnt, and slipped straight back into it.

Seats are just amazing, one of my favourite things and something I really missed when I moved to Mercedes, there is just so much adjustment on the BMW seats, they can sink to the floor, the front can come up at a big angle, the bolsters all open/close if you prefer a flatter seat or like to be held in more, they extend under your knees and they heat up almost instantly.

Steering wheel adjusts every which way you want and even when set low you can still see all the cluster (Mercedes take note!!) and the heated steering wheel is a nice touch too.

DAB reception seemed good, didn't break up or loose signal once.

The 8 Speed 'box is amazing, it locks up at 30mph after a few seconds, changes are seamless and I just didn't notice it once after I had got onto the motorway, which is a good thing I guess. I got caught in some serious stop start traffic on the M25 and that was a good test of it.

Oh, stop/start, works well, but there is a bit of a shudder when it starts back up, shame really, as the ML250 didn't when I tested it.

The lights are incredible, auto main bean works well, the range is amazing in all modes and the adaptive side of things is spot on. No better than ILS on my E350, but very good and a must have option these days I reckon.

Now my main concern was the fact it was a 4cyl diesel, and let's be honest, the only reason you buy one of those is because you can't afford to have something bigger.
I was worried it would sound like a bag of nails, feel underpowered and with the auto and 4WD not actually be economical at all anyway.

Smooth enough round town and on the motorway, it starts to show itself up a little once you push passed 4200rpm, but 9 times out of 10 it changes just before that anyway.
Phew!

Amazed at its pace to be honest, I presumed it would be around 9.5 seconds to 60mph, and had to check when I got back as it felt much quicker. I see two sets of figures, some say 8.4 and some say 8.1 seconds. Maybe that is 0-60mph and 0-100kmph?
Anyway, that puts it as quick as the ML350cdi so no wonder it doesn't feel underpowered.

It will never set you heart racing, but not regretting going for the 30d, which I very nearly did. Oh, and that is because of the MPG.

I was showing over 50MPG buy the time I hit the bottom end of the A11, it also dropped by around 5mpg on the M25 queues, but I had then had enough and just wanted to get home, so hammered it for the last 30 miles, which is full of roundabouts around Thetford and always kills your MPG if in a hurry.
But got back with it showing 49.1mpg.

The car was showing 46mpg over the last 6000 miles before I reset it.

I'm more than happy with that.

I filled up as I left and it was showing nearly 750 miles, by the time I got home some 160 miles later it was showing just under 650 miles remaining.
Obviously that will drop like a stone after a few cold starts and short runs, but very impressive all the same.
63 litre tank.

My ML takes 78-82 litres to fill and is currently returning 440miles per tank on winter derv.

So this will make a huge difference as I fill up roughly once a week in the ML, averaging £400 a month in fuel.

The ride is sublime.
I had a panic the other day, the sale girl emailed me to say they had put 4 new tyres on. With most BMWs using run flats I called to make sure they hadn't put them on this one.
She assured me that they wouldn't if it came from the factory with out them.
She called back later on to say they were booking it back in for proper tyres to be fitted as sure enough they had fitted run flats.
Phew!

It is on Pirelli's P7 All Season tyre and it is very nice, this is what the Freelander 2 was on that I tested and that felt good too.
Well I presume it is not a run flat, feels too comfortable to be one, but you never know with main dealers!

The ride though is superb, if anything it could do with being a little firmer, but I would rather it how it is than too hard, it soaks up poor surfaces, raised ironworks and potholes perfectly, and at the same time it is so planted at speeds on the motorway and when taking b roads at speed.

The steering is really nicely weighted and linear. (Again Mercedes take note!!)
The steering is variable, but just tightens up at speed, it is still a linear steering rack.

The cabin materials are spot on, everything feels solid, very, very impressive.

So, all good?
No, the stereo is not great, don't get me wrong, better than the 3 series base system and the 5 series, but needs some help.
But I knew this and will add a Mosconi DSP amp and some of their Gladen speakers and under seat subs.
£600 'needs' spending, but I knew it would.

All in all though a big sigh of relief, if I am honest I was sort of going for this because of the claimed mpg, I needed something that would save me £150+ a month on fuel to justify spending £300 a month on a new car.
I thought as long as it gets close to 40mpg it will be a 'nice' if not exciting car. But it has actually passed all my expectations and I think we are going to really enjoy owning it.

you went for it then? All the best with your new purchase and thanks once again for the advice given regarding my ML270 which in turn i`m starting to really really like. Weird how these big old boxes get to you is n`t it?

Last edited:
That was what was making it so difficult for me.

I have spent around £3k on my ML in the last 18 months, that was on top of the £3500 I paid for the car and didn't include the new wheels.

Injector seals sorting.
EGR cleaning and bypassing.
Cat delete.
New manifold with flaps deleted.
New thermostats.
New Oil separator.
New Bilstein front end.
New electronic transmission plate.
Transmission fluid change (done properly with 12l or fluid)
Anti roll bar bushes.
New W164 alloy wheels and New Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres (two weeks ago!!!! £500 wheels and bolts and £600 tyres)
Alpine W925r double din nav and dab radio
Morel speakers and alpine amp.
Oil service every 6000 miles.
Coolant change and all filters changed.
New Merc fllor mats.

The car is running a treat, and I love it, but I just fancied something else.
Stupid really, but we like shiny new things.

19wheels.jpg

alpine_ml.jpg

ml_interior.jpg

I will miss it terribly, but can't really keep it, not got anywhere to put it for a start.

Last edited:
Haha, they are pretty short, I am a 30/31" inside leg.

But I like the front of my seat raised as much as possible, which means my seat needs to be closer than when it is flat. If that makes sense?

My point above was, I have spend around £7k over the last 18 months on buying and sorting the ML and I will get half that back probably.
It now has 118k miles on it, so it will get £3500 at best.
If I put the standard wheels back on and put the standard stereo back in it it would be £2300 at best, all the work that has been done means sweet FA to the value. :(

Haha, they are pretty short, I am a 30/31" inside leg.

But I like the front of my seat raised as much as possible, which means my seat needs to be closer than when it is flat. If that makes sense?

My point above was, I have spend around £7k over the last 18 months on buying and sorting the ML and I will get half that back probably.
It now has 118k miles on it, so it will get £3500 at best.
If I put the standard wheels back on and put the standard stereo back in it it would be £2300 at best, all the work that has been done means sweet FA to the value. :(

Personally, I'd keep it.

The car owes you little in real terms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom