So Long V8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The future unfortunately. Don’t think I’ll ever get over the C63 being a glorified 2 litre. :(

A rushed out and badly written article. It says only the C43 will be offered in Estate form, big mistake since BMW is finally offering the M3 in estate version after all this time.

Hybrid drive will no doubt be a much more drivable option, and will likely sound like a TOCA from the 2000's, but would agree without a V8, the very car that started the segment, it will feel a bit hollow.

I also dont imagine there will be much headroom for tuning outside the official channels, 420bhp from a 4 cylinder is already up there. I read somewhere that Garret have also developed and Electric turbo for AMG with zero lag. That sounds like fun. There is also the price point, 80 grand for a 4 cylinder mid sized saloon will put many people off, pushing them towards more expensive segments of the market, maybe inline with the new strategy?

It's inevitable, although I am looking forward to hybrid power, I think it'll be interesting. A four pot with a huge turbo and electric motors sounds interesting (if they go down that route)

This is why I refuse to let go of my 63, it makes little to no sense in terms of economy or how that power is made, as similar power and performance comes easy to smaller engined turbos or electric motors...but as it's a dying trend and nothing will probably come close to that noise, I'm enjoying my dinosaur relic as long as I can 😁

Autocar has persistently been the first publication to report this rumour, with others picking up from their lead, citing their article. I've not seen independent confirmation from other publications, so I'll believe it when I see an official announcement.

Personally, my current C63 will be the last one I ever own if they do this. There are a lot of other choices - in fact, while bigger and heavier, an M550i looks like a good alternative to me. Or even, heresy, a C8 Corvette...

Given that the principal rivals to the C63 use a 6 cylinder, I'd be pretty surprised at AMG for putting in a 4-pot. They must know that one of the main reasons their buyers choose this car over one of the rivals is for the V8 and that they're likely to lose a lot of customers.

I also dont imagine there will be much headroom for tuning outside the official channels, 420bhp from a 4 cylinder is already up there. I read somewhere that Garret have also developed and Electric turbo for AMG with zero lag. That sounds like fun.

Given the success they've had in F1 and the direction F1 has gone engine wise, its not surprising Mercedes is going to a smaller engine. The turbos in F1 are currently exhaust and electrically spun up as well.

Another car company (Volvo) got out of the gates a few years ago on this. Their 2.0 litre turbo/supercharged electric hybrid makes about 400 hp as well.

It’s often sad to see the end of an era, but exciting to be part of the next.

I have no doubt that the new C 63 will be incredible even if it’s a hybrid powertrain with a small capacity turbocharged engine, and I look forward to trying one.

If it’s good enough for Project One....

Sad, but inevitable really. Just part of progression and the need to reduce emissions etc😢
The engine size of the 63 has gradually been reduced since 2011 with 6.3 n/a >5.5 biturbo > 4.0 biturbo and each new engine can boast better performance and economy figures. It sounds like the next platform will be no different.

I wonder if the same engine will be considered in the bigger models like the E and S class? I hope not.

If you have a V8 now, enjoy it. If you haven't and are thinking about it, get one now before its too late.

Last edited:
My budget doesn't extend to AMG but I had to have a V8, I just love the sound.

In the history of mankind the internal combustion engine will have come and gone in the blink of an eye; appearing on the scene just over 100 years ago and already its end is in sight. We are lucky to have the opportunity to drive around in cars powered by glorious V8 engines! 100 years from now they will be a distant memory.

Autocar has persistently been the first publication to report this rumour, with others picking up from their lead, citing their article. I've not seen independent confirmation from other publications, so I'll believe it when I see an official announcement.

Personally, my current C63 will be the last one I ever own if they do this. There are a lot of other choices - in fact, while bigger and heavier, an M550i looks like a good alternative to me. Or even, heresy, a C8 Corvette...

Given that the principal rivals to the C63 use a 6 cylinder, I'd be pretty surprised at AMG for putting in a 4-pot. They must know that one of the main reasons their buyers choose this car over one of the rivals is for the V8 and that they're likely to lose a lot of customers.
Isn't this supposed to be the reason why Tobias Moers left AMG for Aston Martin? Can't understand why they're doing this as it's going to massively reduce demand for C63's so they're killing off their own market segment. I assume that the C43 will either be dropped or will suffer a similar fate as you surely can't have a top of the line which is a hybrid and next model down a V6, never mind the performance differences...
Their plans for hybrid power is why I'm looking at the C63 as the current model will be the last V8. Otherwise might as well get an A45.

Sad, but inevitable really. Just part of progression and the need to reduce emissions etc😢
The engine size of the 63 has gradually been reduced since 2011 with 6.3 n/a >5.5 biturbo > 4.0 biturbo and each new engine can boast better performance and economy figures. It sounds like the next platform will be no different.

I wonder if the same engine will be considered in the bigger models like the E and S class? I hope not.

If you have a V8 now, enjoy it. If you haven't and are thinking about it, get one now before its too late.

My 222 S500 has the last 4.7 V8 engine.

The newer 222 S500 feature a 3.0 straight 6 with mild hybrid tech.

Only the 222 S560 features a 4.0 V8 engine.

The W223 at launch features no V8 engines.

It's inevitable...

This will also be the last V8 engine I will have as I don't use the performance of it...

Long live the V8, always and forever🥳:rock::thumb:

.u.k the rest V8 will always, always be the best.........

I know; I have two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom