So many bikes there will be no room for cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's a good idea.
The bikes need to be equipped with locks though. What if I want to take the bike to my local shop instead of racking up 1 and a bit miles on the car? What if my bag doesn't fit in the tiny basket or I want to bring the shopping back?

Also this would be the perfect opportunity to mount number plates to them. Let's see cyclists skip red lights then. Not only that it would make it easier to track the bikes.

It's good that this puts a target on people who unnecessarily drive to work.
I can't imagine this will be popular in the winter.

I think it's a good idea.
The bikes need to be equipped with locks though. What if I want to take the bike to my local shop instead of racking up 1 and a bit miles on the car? What if my bag doesn't fit in the tiny basket or I want to bring the shopping back?

Also this would be the perfect opportunity to mount number plates to them. Let's see cyclists skip red lights then. Not only that it would make it easier to track the bikes.

It's good that this puts a target on people who unnecessarily drive to work.
I can't imagine this will be popular in the winter.

Fully concur with the license plate issue!

That, I think the scheme is more aimed at tourists/London2012 - so the locks were omitted as the bikes are less a car replacement and more a way for the hoardes of tourists to travel around without jamming the tube further...

I'm suprised the popular betting sites/companies don't have options to be on when the first barclays bicycle accident to be splashed on the front of newpapers will be...

M.

Last edited:
So far today I have seen just one person on a Boris Bike.

He was labouring along Moorgate: those damn things weigh 23Kg.

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance, Tax, MOT, Number Plate, Compulsory use of crash hat, correct signalling, no riding on kerbs, etc, etc, etc. Great idea, but wholly unworkable, until all of the above are met. We as drivers have already paid for the privilege to use the road network, and then along comes some gargantuan twit, to cordon off and ban cars from cycle lanes, pedestrianise areas excepting bikes, and don,t get me started on those whitelinepaintinggreeniscleantakingallthefunoutofdrivinghitlers in every town up and down this land. You want to use the road network, then PAY, like we do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Most people who want to ride in london already do, so why bother spending more money to borrow a mobile advertising bill board of a bike for that bloody bank!! (im assuming they helped pay for it)
I can see this whole scheme lasting 5 minutes....can you imagine all the carnage caused by inexperienced riders all trying to get to work in rush hour in london!!! Ive seen how those drivers drive in london:ban:
This scheme.... its a kin to throwing kittens into a blender......i hope the people who choose to use those bikes know what their letting themselves in for!

Last edited:
Insurance, Insurance, Insurance, Tax, MOT, Number Plate, Compulsory use of crash hat, correct signalling, no riding on kerbs, etc, etc, etc. Great idea, but wholly unworkable, until all of the above are met. We as drivers have already paid for the privilege to use the road network, and then along comes some gargantuan twit, to cordon off and ban cars from cycle lanes, pedestrianise areas excepting bikes, and don,t get me started on those whitelinepaintinggreeniscleantakingallthefunoutofdrivinghitlers in every town up and down this land. You want to use the road network, then PAY, like we do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

That is a solid point there... But I wasn't thinking of it in the terms. Not the number plate system we are used to. Think of it more along the lines of a more visible VIN. It could mean anyone. Since the bike has to be paid for to be release then you know who is riding it, or who is responsible for it. Then if anyone of the baffons skips a red light in 2012 then you will be able to fine them. Payment must be made by card - card must be registered to an address - fine issued to address.

Don't forget it has to be complicated for (us) the road paying user otherwise the comic in the mayors office would have no way of funding this - frankly - hair brained scheme.

What's worse is that they have now closed off lanes of traffic for these things. I maintain its a good idea but it either gets rolled out through out London or not at all. Part of London isn't good enough. And having designated lanes for cyclists that will just jump the lights, especially along the A3 (what I put up with day to day), is nonsensical.

Cycle hire customers are covered by third party liability insurance, and the bikes themselves will be maintained under the scheme operating contract. There is also a code of conduct and the offer of proficiency training, both of which are being promoted to people who sign up to the scheme. Also, the road network is funded through council tax, so it's not just motorists who pay for it.

What's worse is that they have now closed off lanes of traffic for these things. I maintain its a good idea but it either gets rolled out through out London or not at all. Part of London isn't good enough. And having designated lanes for cyclists that will just jump the lights, especially along the A3 (what I put up with day to day), is nonsensical.

Just you wait until the Olympics. 60 miles of road with lanes reserved, on pain of a £200 fine, for the exclusive use of the "Olympic family", not to mention all the temporary restrictions.

That "Olympic Family" does not simply cover 18,000 athletes. Oh dear me no.

It includes 28,000 journalists, 11,000 officials and 25,000 "marketing partners".:mad:

http://www.london2012.com/documents/general/map3-tempgameslanesonorn.pdf

You will note the yellow "No peasants at all" routes includes lanes on the Heathrow spur, bits of the M4 into London and great West Road. With any luck that just means the existing bus lanes but you never know....

Last edited:

Are you being serious?

Cyclsit don't pay tax because they OWN the road and don't need to pay the visitors charge.

the highways act is quite clear about the priority of road users:
1) pedestrians
2) horses
3) cyclists
4) fee paying visitors (those who need to pay tax)

When was the last time you saw a "badly rutted road from cycle tyres" or coughed on the smoke from a cyclist?

road tax is an externality charge for the inconveniece YOU cause to others by polluting and damaging the road

Just remember this - when you see a cyclist on the road - they always have priority over you - always - because, put simply, they have more right to be there than you.

what we need is stiff prison sentances for drivers who bully and kill cyclist through their impatience and arrogance. it is NOT 'your' road and paying tax compensates others for the pain you cause - it doesn't give you more right to the road.

All this is from a committed petrol head by the way - I have a manky mile-muncher diesel now but this follows a love of performance cars (which I still have) and I still have my Kawasaki ZX6R motorbike which I love - but the road is for sharing - we all need to get places and we all need to appreciate that different vehicles have different requirements of the road.

Describes some cyclists very well!

Coukd not agree more! - and drivers, and motorcyclists and people in general.

my core point is that we need to learn to share the road better and that difference vehicles have different requirements of the road

Don't get me started with bycicles ,from passing through red lights to staying on the road when they have their own cycle lain and not paying a penney for road tax,insurance,MOT,petrol tax and so on.

not paying a penney for road tax

What's all this talk of "road tax"? What decade are you living in?

Vehicle tax (formally known as Vehicle Excise Duty) is paid in relation to the CO2 emissions the vehicle produces. It's zero-rated for those that produce 100g/km or less, so it would be for bikes too :rolleyes:.

Cycle hire customers are covered by third party liability insurance, and the bikes themselves will be maintained under the scheme operating contract. There is also a code of conduct and the offer of proficiency training, both of which are being promoted to people who sign up to the scheme. Also, the road network is funded through council tax, so it's not just motorists who pay for it.
mocas, was'nt referring to the cycle scheme, this was just an aside, wherein to voice my opinion. I refer to all bicyclists. privately owned cycles and such, and not wanting to sound arrogant in any way, a member has suggested that the road network is solely funded by council tax, then what am i paying a Road Fund Licence for. I shall stop immediately and because I also pay council tax will explain to the old bill (when they will stop me for not paying my Road Fund Licence) that a helpful MB Club member said it was ok.:rolleyes:

mocas, was'nt referring to the cycle scheme, this was just an aside, wherein to voice my opinion. I refer to all bicyclists.

Fair enough, but I was pointing out that anyone hiring one of the Cycle Hire bikes would be insured and their bike would be maintained, which surely has to be a step in the right direction.

privately owned cycles and such, and not wanting to sound arrogant in any way, a member has suggested that the road network is solely funded by council tax, then what am i paying a Road Fund Licence for. I shall stop immediately and because I also pay council tax will explain to the old bill (when they will stop me for not paying my Road Fund Licence) that a helpful MB Club member said it was ok.:rolleyes:

I have no idea why you are paying for a Road Fund Licence and would advise you to stop doing so forthwith. The road fund was abolished in 1955, and it had ceased to be used exclusively for road maintenance as early as 1936. The police will not stop you for not having paid for a Road Fund Licence, provided you can demonstrate that you have a current Vehicle Excise Duty tax disc - which, as I pointed out in my previous post, is charged in relation to the emissions your car produces (or its engine size if pre-2001).

I think pedestrians should walk around with individual number plates on them , back and front especially if they "hoodie up" and hide their faces from cctv . then there should be hoodie enforcement officers and a fleet of cctv inspectors checking for infractions maybe based in a place like swansea . also on the spot fines where people can march you to a cashpoint and empty your bank account , as after all none of us live hand to mouth anymore and can't afford a £200 instant fine .

I think pedestrians should walk around with individual number plates on them , back and front especially if they "hoodie up" and hide their faces from cctv . then there should be hoodie enforcement officers and a fleet of cctv inspectors checking for infractions maybe based in a place like swansea . also on the spot fines where people can march you to a cashpoint and empty your bank account , as after all none of us live hand to mouth anymore and can't afford a £200 instant fine .

where the human rights? even an old granny?

It reminds me of Nazi Germany where jews were asked to carry the star of David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom