So much for technology....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Always carry back up. In the Tesla case its called the key. I have never had a Tesla so dont know how it works but I'm betting its quicker to unlock and start the car with the key than to unlock the phone find the app, open it unlock get in and start, then maybe close the app and put your phone away....but admittedly nowhere near as "cool"
I love keyless go and cant imagine anything more efficient... yet...and you have to have the back up with you.. The theft issue persists but I doubt they are hunting around looking for my 16 year old car.

Does anyone actually use the remote start feature ?

Remote start systems are frequently used in hot climates where owner want to fire up the A/C to cool the car before they enter.

Does anyone actually use the remote start feature ? I can see how it would be very popular in the US but here it would be illegal to use that feature and leave the car unattended, not to mention it's bad for the engine and bad for the environment. In practice I don't suppose prosecutions are ever brought, any more than they are ever brought for diesel vans sat with the engine idling for an hour which is also illegal. If we are all to be deprived of new IC cars after 2030 on the grounds of emissions perhaps it's time to address some current practices that produce completely unnecessary emissions.
I might do when it gets properly cold as the heated seats and steering wheel come on automatically when the temp drops below 10 degrees.

When the temperature drops in the Volvo, it switches everything on it needs to, otherwise it'll cool the car.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually use the remote start feature ? I can see how it would be very popular in the US but here it would be illegal to use that feature and leave the car unattended, not to mention it's bad for the engine and bad for the environment. In practice I don't suppose prosecutions are ever brought, any more than they are ever brought for diesel vans sat with the engine idling for an hour which is also illegal. If we are all to be deprived of new IC cars after 2030 on the grounds of emissions perhaps it's time to address some current practices that produce completely unnecessary emissions.
I have used mine in the summer to start the car after work to cool the interior as im walking to my car and also in the winter to defrost it and warm it up as the heated front and rear screen will activate, but the heated or cooled seats and the heated steering wheel cannot be remotely turned on which is a shame

I have used mine in the summer to start the car after work to cool the interior as im walking to my car and also in the winter to defrost it and warm it up as the heated front and rear screen will activate, but the heated or cooled seats and the heated steering wheel cannot be remotely turned on which is a shame
When defrosting does it make much of a difference because it takes a long time to warm up an engine when idling?

When defrosting does it make much of a difference because it takes a long time to warm up an engine when idling?

I think aircon systems quite often include electric boost for the heating nowadays, to get heat straight away. I suspect our W205 has this as the screen clears very quickly from cold. Our 2007 Vito definitely does - you turn it on manually via a rocker switch on the dash.

I think aircon systems quite often include electric boost for the heating nowadays, to get heat straight away. I suspect our W205 has this as the screen clears very quickly from cold. Our 2007 Vito definitely does - you turn it on manually via a rocker switch on the dash.

Are you talking about the electrically heated windscreen (which is an option for most MB models) or the electric heater booster (standard on most diesel models)?

Interesting, thank you for sharing.

The Volvo has a heated windscreen which I’m rather looking forward to trying on a remote start.
The app claims to be able to pre heat the car at set times daily as well, I don’t live that way any longer thankfully!

Are you talking about the electrically heated windscreen (which is an option for most MB models) or the electric heater booster (standard on most diesel models)?

Electric heat booster.

IIRC the Ford group of companies had some sort of monopoly on electrically heated windscreens (patent, maybe?) which ran out relatively recently, allowing other manufacturers to offer them. I had a 2002 VW Sharan with one (which worked well), but of course that was a joint venture with Ford.

Well the heated screens clear both screens pretty quickly (the front is way quicker than the rear) and after its been running for 5 mins the heaters are blowing warm air and the temp gauge is up from the bottom a bit, it really doesnt take long

On EVs, both remote cooling and heating can be done easily, since there's no engine to start, and plenty of battery power to run the cooling or heating. And it doesn't break any laws.

Electric heat booster.

IIRC the Ford group of companies had some sort of monopoly on electrically heated windscreens (patent, maybe?) which ran out relatively recently, allowing other manufacturers to offer them. I had a 2002 VW Sharan with one (which worked well), but of course that was a joint venture with Ford.
I believe that's true, but the tech has moved on from those distracting wiggly wires to the ClimaCoat system from Sekurit.

I believe that's true, but the tech has moved on from those distracting wiggly wires to the ClimaCoat system from Sekurit.

Never found the wires to be an issue personally ... they were also supposed to be a problem for GPS reception but my TomTom seemed to work fine. Interesting to hear there's new heating technology though.

I'd argue it's simply traded one factor against another, rather than a tangible all round improvement. Yes, you lose the wiggly wires but it's nowhere near as effective as the Ford setup.

I'd argue it's simply traded one factor against another, rather than a tangible all round improvement. Yes, you lose the wiggly wires but it's nowhere near as effective as the Ford setup.
I've not had any experience of the new system so it's interesting to hear feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom