SO SAABs are dull boring GM blobs eh!

Do you like the concept SAAB

  • YES Hubba Hubba

    Votes: 25 61.0%
  • NO get it off my screen

    Votes: 16 39.0%

  • Total voters
    41

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
1,766
Location
Wigan, Lancashire
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200



Do you guys like it?
 
Last edited:

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
19,093
Location
Berkshire
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
When they build it I will like Saabs :)
 

SG CL500

Active Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
774
Location
Cambridgeshire
Car
FFRR TDV8
nice, but agree with BTB - lets seem them build it first...(same arguement for any manufacturers concept cars, its easy to design a really nice looking car, practically building it and for a budget is a different matter!!!)

And for the record I think some Saabs are pretty good - my father had a 9-3 Talladega which was pretty quick and i've heard the later models with the Aero (?) package shift well.
:)
 

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
1,001
Location
Tamworth, Staffs
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Do the designers all go to the same school? apart from the window wrap it looks like the same shape. do you think?
 

Attachments

996jimbo

Active Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
318
Car
E320 CDI
Not sure what to vote.

It is pretty cool I suppose but does have a teeny bit of an American look to it. Not quite sure. If they make it rear wheel drive then OK very cool.
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
996jimbo said:
It is pretty cool I suppose but does have a teeny bit of an American look to it. Not quite sure. If they make it rear wheel drive then OK very cool.

That's not going to happen is it? Which vauxhall/opel would they base it on? ;)
 

996jimbo

Active Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
318
Car
E320 CDI
Shude said:
That's not going to happen is it? Which vauxhall/opel would they base it on? ;)
Surely there's some crappy GM American chassis still with RWD that they would use?

Doh! Change my vote to NO.
 

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
7,859
Location
Surrey/Cotswolds
Car
W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
Looks too American at the front and has hints of Aston Martin about it too.

Not for me.
 
OP
OP
L

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
1,766
Location
Wigan, Lancashire
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
fuzzer said:
im not old enough to like saabs yet :D
ohhhh you little sod!, slap for you next time we meet:D
and as for you Shude!!!!

One of the things I really do love about this place is the banter!
I must admit the style of this has gone down better with you guys than I thought it would, does have a bit of generic exec coupe look to it. The top off method of entry is a bit different but we all know if it was ever put into production that would be the first thing removed.
 

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
1,468
Location
Cambridgeshire
Car
Lexus GS450h
I heard that there is a Saab on the way based on an Subaru Impreza platform (4wd, clever electronics etc), but presumably without the standard issue baseball cap accessory.

I do like that concept Saab, but to be honest it could be anything - I'm not sure I see much family resemblence to the 9-3 or 9-5.
 
OP
OP
L

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
1,766
Location
Wigan, Lancashire
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
Rose Chap said:
I do like that concept Saab, but to be honest it could be anything - I'm not sure I see much family resemblence to the 9-3 or 9-5.
I think it has a bit of the family nose but thats about it.
 

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Messages
7,668
Location
Freckleton
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Mark, there is no way on Gods Earth that you would ever get into that :devil: Seriously though It look terrible. Like a cross between an Aston and a Jaguar. In my opinion it should remain a concept car no less.
 

blassberg

Active Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
681
Location
Warwickshire, UK
Car
ex C320CDI, ex SLK200K, Sharing Their Saxo 1.1i !!, Her SLK200K, His ZX6R
I have seen about 6 Saab concept cars from a market research event that I was paid £50? for attending.

The 4x4s looked badass (that's positive in my opinion) the coupe's looked great and the smallest one was a rip of the impreza "estate" - it was the only one that looked contrived and not credible.... so they'll probably only build that one...

I am a Saab fan since I had a 9000CSE. The traffic parted like waves, such was the respect.
 

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
7,859
Location
Surrey/Cotswolds
Car
W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
lotusmark2 said:
ohhhh you little sod!, slap for you next time we meet:D
and as for you Shude!!!!

One of the things I really do love about this place is the banter!
I must admit the style of this has gone down better with you guys than I thought it would, does have a bit of generic exec coupe look to it. The top off method of entry is a bit different but we all know if it was ever put into production that would be the first thing removed.
Its hideous from the rear..but then most things are ;)
 

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
17,021
Location
Mittel England
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
SEM said:
Do the designers all go to the same school? apart from the window wrap it looks like the same shape. do you think?
Most of them do!! A combination of Coventry University, Loughborough University (less for styling granted), and finishing off at the Royal College of Art.

Rose Chap said:
I heard that there is a Saab on the way based on an Subaru Impreza platform (4wd, clever electronics etc), but presumably without the standard issue baseball cap accessory.
Was badged 9-2x in US IIRC, and was a sticking plaster to boost flagging sales - nick named the "SAABaru". I think the decision was made not to bring it to the UK - at least for the current generation anyway. I think the second generation will be US only too, based on what I remember from Autocar articles.

Again if I remember right, there was some likely deal between Saab and Subaru for a US SAAB 4x4 based on the Tribeca (spelling??) - can't recall what's happening on that one.
 

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
1,001
Location
Tamworth, Staffs
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Bobby Dazzler said:
Most of them do!! A combination of Coventry University, Loughborough University (less for styling granted), and finishing off at the Royal College of Art.
How are they supposed to get any inspiration? :p
 

BearFace

Active Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
303
lotusmark2 said:
Do you guys like it?
Yes.

It calls to mind the recognisable Saab characteristics (curved screen, long nose and swooping profile) while avoiding the rather cynical current trend of simply replicating the specific design features of old models. Ford and GM (in the US) in particular have been blatantly plagiarizing designs from the 60's and 70's in the hope that nostalgia will win them sales, but to me such a practice smacks of laziness and I think it's good to move forward.

Chris Bangle's BMW designs have been criticised from the outset, but now his radical styling cues are being adopted by rival manufacturers and before too long, what seems radical now will simply become mainstream. Anyone remember the Sierra when it was launched.......? People thought it looked like something from outer-space :)

If this concept is indicative of Saab's future models (assuming that Saab has a future - it's touch and go right now, sadly), then I'd be delighted. The design is progressive and strong, and if such a car was available, I'd consider it.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom